Meliss3108

Yardies... what do you think?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

From todays Observer (www.jamaicaobserver.com)

US Embassy unveils new visa appointment system

But it will cost applicants more

Friday, November 14, 2008

Consul general at the United States Embassy in Kingston, Edward Wehrli (left) shakes hands with commercial director of DHL Express Caribbean region, Steve Garside. Also photographed are US Ambassador to Jamaica Brenda LaGrange Johnson (second left) and senior general manager of retail banking at NCB, Audrey Tugwell Henry. (Photo: Lionel Rookwood)

Frustrated members of the public, who have had difficulty securing visa interview appoint-ments at the United States embassy, should get some relief come Monday with the introduction of a new system, which the embassy says is solid, efficient and will guarantee that qualified applicants get dates.

Under the new service, visa applicants will be able to call an 800 number staffed by live operators or log on to a parallel self-service website to schedule appointments themselves.

Making the announcement at the Courtleigh Hotel in Kingston yesterday, Consul General Edward Wehrli admitted that the embassy's current appointment system - which will be inactive after today - had flaws and said the embassy had been working for months to identify an efficient replacement.

"These service enhancements are very highly successful at other embassies abroad," Wehrli told journalists.

However, the call service which covers an eight-minute conversation and which will allow applicants to reschedule twice, will attract a cost of US$13, while the website option will offer unlimited access at a cost of US$10. These fees, along with the US$131 visa fee, will now be made solely through National Commercial Bank (NCB). Upon paying for the call centre feature, the bank will issue a Personal Identification Number (PIN).

NCB will activate its visa service next Wednesday, two days after the new appointment system takes effect. The embassy said the new system will not affect those who have already paid through Paymaster and who have not yet had interview appointments.

Courier service DHL will become the embassy's exclusive courier pass-back partners as of Wednesday, at a cost of US$8.50 to the user.

Since the start of the year, there has been widespread discontent among Jamaicans applying for non-immigrant visas to the US over the length of time it takes to schedule appointments. Many persons complained that they were forced to wait for months. Yesterday, US Ambassador to Jamaica Brenda LaGrange Johnson said it was the public outcry that pushed the embassy to find solutions.

"We have been mindful of the public's clearly expressed concerns about the difficulties many encounter in booking a timely appointment and getting reliable information about the visa application process," she said yesterday.

The self-service website can be accessed at www.usvisa-jamaica.com and the call centre can be reached at

1-800-572-7780.

New visa rules

. On Monday, November 17, National Commercial Bank will begin collecting the visa application fee of US$131.00 at its dozens of branches islandwide.

. On Wednesday, November 19, Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC) will begin providing visa information and scheduling appointments via a pay-for-service telephone call centre staffed by live operators and will open a self-service website option at slightly lower cost.

. On Wednesday, November 19, DHL will become the embassy's official courier pass-back company to deliver passports with visas to all successful applicants. DHL will have a counter in the consular section waiting room where applicants will make arrangements for delivery of their passports.

. CSC Corporation, the operator of the call centre, is a US State Department contractor located in the Washington DC area. This same service package has been introduced successfully in many other US consular posts around the world, many with heavier visa demands than Kingston. CSC has hired local "greeters" who will meet applicants outside the embassy to help them move quickly into the Consular Section, to ensure that documents are in proper order, and to explain procedures and answer basic questions.

How much will it cost?

. The cost for the call centre option will be US$13.00 to obtain visa information and schedule an appointment for a non-immigrant visa interview. The fee covers an eight-minute conversation and would allow an applicant to reschedule the appointment twice, if necessary.

. The 24-hour/seven days a week self-service website will cost US$10.00 to obtain information and secure an on-line non-immigrant visa appointment.

. DHL will deliver passports to applicants' addresses for US$8.50. Only one fee will be charged per family of up to five members.

CR1 Visa Journey

Met in Tryall 6/23/07

Married in Tryall 6/14/08

USCIS

06-28-2008: submitted I-130

07-09-2008: Check Cashed

07-11-2008: NOA1

07-16-2008 submitted I-129

07-28-2008 NOA1 for I-129

08-01-2008 I-129 touched!

08-03-2008 I-129 touched again!

09-05-2008 I-130 touched.... please, please, please... oh, please let them approve it.

09-06-2008: NOA2!!!!!!!

NVC

10-03-2008: Package forwarded to NVC

11-01-2008: COA mailed

10-23-2008: Paid AOS Bill (online)

11-03-2008: Paid IV Bill (online)

11-06-2008: Mailed I-864 and DS230 packets

11-18-2008: Case Complete

02-26-2009: Medical Exam

03-10-2009: Interview

03-27-2009: POE- Miami

??-??-2009: Social Security #

??-??-2009: Green Card

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
From todays Observer (www.jamaicaobserver.com)

US Embassy unveils new visa appointment system

But it will cost applicants more

Friday, November 14, 2008

Consul general at the United States Embassy in Kingston, Edward Wehrli (left) shakes hands with commercial director of DHL Express Caribbean region, Steve Garside. Also photographed are US Ambassador to Jamaica Brenda LaGrange Johnson (second left) and senior general manager of retail banking at NCB, Audrey Tugwell Henry. (Photo: Lionel Rookwood)

Frustrated members of the public, who have had difficulty securing visa interview appoint-ments at the United States embassy, should get some relief come Monday with the introduction of a new system, which the embassy says is solid, efficient and will guarantee that qualified applicants get dates.

Under the new service, visa applicants will be able to call an 800 number staffed by live operators or log on to a parallel self-service website to schedule appointments themselves.

Making the announcement at the Courtleigh Hotel in Kingston yesterday, Consul General Edward Wehrli admitted that the embassy's current appointment system - which will be inactive after today - had flaws and said the embassy had been working for months to identify an efficient replacement.

"These service enhancements are very highly successful at other embassies abroad," Wehrli told journalists.

However, the call service which covers an eight-minute conversation and which will allow applicants to reschedule twice, will attract a cost of US$13, while the website option will offer unlimited access at a cost of US$10. These fees, along with the US$131 visa fee, will now be made solely through National Commercial Bank (NCB). Upon paying for the call centre feature, the bank will issue a Personal Identification Number (PIN).

NCB will activate its visa service next Wednesday, two days after the new appointment system takes effect. The embassy said the new system will not affect those who have already paid through Paymaster and who have not yet had interview appointments.

Courier service DHL will become the embassy's exclusive courier pass-back partners as of Wednesday, at a cost of US$8.50 to the user.

Since the start of the year, there has been widespread discontent among Jamaicans applying for non-immigrant visas to the US over the length of time it takes to schedule appointments. Many persons complained that they were forced to wait for months. Yesterday, US Ambassador to Jamaica Brenda LaGrange Johnson said it was the public outcry that pushed the embassy to find solutions.

"We have been mindful of the public's clearly expressed concerns about the difficulties many encounter in booking a timely appointment and getting reliable information about the visa application process," she said yesterday.

The self-service website can be accessed at www.usvisa-jamaica.com and the call centre can be reached at

1-800-572-7780.

New visa rules

. On Monday, November 17, National Commercial Bank will begin collecting the visa application fee of US$131.00 at its dozens of branches islandwide.

. On Wednesday, November 19, Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC) will begin providing visa information and scheduling appointments via a pay-for-service telephone call centre staffed by live operators and will open a self-service website option at slightly lower cost.

. On Wednesday, November 19, DHL will become the embassy's official courier pass-back company to deliver passports with visas to all successful applicants. DHL will have a counter in the consular section waiting room where applicants will make arrangements for delivery of their passports.

. CSC Corporation, the operator of the call centre, is a US State Department contractor located in the Washington DC area. This same service package has been introduced successfully in many other US consular posts around the world, many with heavier visa demands than Kingston. CSC has hired local "greeters" who will meet applicants outside the embassy to help them move quickly into the Consular Section, to ensure that documents are in proper order, and to explain procedures and answer basic questions.

How much will it cost?

. The cost for the call centre option will be US$13.00 to obtain visa information and schedule an appointment for a non-immigrant visa interview. The fee covers an eight-minute conversation and would allow an applicant to reschedule the appointment twice, if necessary.

. The 24-hour/seven days a week self-service website will cost US$10.00 to obtain information and secure an on-line non-immigrant visa appointment.

. DHL will deliver passports to applicants' addresses for US$8.50. Only one fee will be charged per family of up to five members.

WOW!

I guess they did go through with the planning. I hope it all works out for the best.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

What's up Sus. These were some of the things the lady was talking to me about after our interview in June.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

tep aff a mi name

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I hope it works - I have my doubts until I see it actually in play, though - Parts of it look like just another way to add costs - Now you have to pay to schedule the appointment?

Although it might cut back on some of the fraud or unprepared people -

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Timeline
Is this service only for non immigrant visas?

I think so..because we have nothing to do with scheduling it with CR-1

well...how do you think it will affect those of us at NVC wiating for an interview date?

this stresses me out

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

well...how do you think it will affect those of us at NVC wiating for an interview date?

this stresses me out

Looks like it's for the NIV - Unit.

Sorry Shrew, you've been waiting patiently so, long. You will be blessed. I just don't undertand if all the paperwork is done and case is complete for the CR/1, why does it take so long to receive an interview date.

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

this stresses me out

Looks like it's for the NIV - Unit.

Sorry Shrew, you've been waiting patiently so, long. You will be blessed. I just don't undertand if all the paperwork is done and case is complete for the CR/1, why does it take so long to receive an interview date.

well, I guess I would rather be steady and certain than quick and have to pay more/do more that might not really work. haha

Thanks Lawny :)

we are more than ready. i am (we are) praying for a January interview :)

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

Shrew, I want to see how this plays out. Remember when they were doing the walk up renewals for visitors visa (no appt. necessary) that was a disaster. The line had more than 300 people in it.

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

Non-immigrant actually includes the K-1. Not sure what they call the K-3 and CR1.

Shrew, I want to see how this plays out. Remember when they were doing the walk up renewals for visitors visa (no appt. necessary) that was a disaster. The line had more than 300 people in it.

It will probably take you 6 months or something to be able to pay for it at the bank. There HAS TO BE some catch. Sounds like it could work too easily. Ha....won't be fooled like that again!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

So do K1's have to now have to use this system? Or will I still be able to go to the Fed Build in STL?

Elite Upscale Weddings, Negril, Jamaica Quality Weddings Affordable Prices ,www.eliteupscaleweddings.com

Timeline
So do K1's have to now have to use this system? Or will I still be able to go to the Fed Build in STL?

I'm confused as to what you are asking here. Please explain.

The only time we have been to the Federal Building downtown is for biometrics for AOS and ROC.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

So my brain is either slow or I understand more than I think......will we be paying an extra $131 plus the fee for the service center $10-13?? Is that on top of whatever else we already pay? And what are they talking about passport? Shouldn't we get the passport before we go to the embassy for our appointment? I'm so confused!! :girlwerewolf2xn:

event.png

Timeline
So my brain is either slow or I understand more than I think......will we be paying an extra $131 plus the fee for the service center $10-13?? Is that on top of whatever else we already pay? And what are they talking about passport? Shouldn't we get the passport before we go to the embassy for our appointment? I'm so confused!! :girlwerewolf2xn:

LOL, MrsLadyD - I believe this is for visitor visas only - Not K1.

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.