Al26

I-130 Time Frame for Spain

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi Everyone:

I am a U.S. citizen who got married in NYC to a Spanish national this past October 2008. We met when I went on a trip to Spain this past June 2008 (I know, we got married fast). I didn't read up on the green card process enough before and I am kicking myself now for getting married in the U.S., but I will applying for the I-130 soon (K-3 as well to try to speed things up) and wanted to know how long I should expect to wait for approval. I know each case is different, but since Spain isnt a 3rd world country, I was hoping it wouldnt take longer than 6 months. Can anyone on here that has a Spanish spouse share their experience? Thank you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Hi Everyone:

I am a U.S. citizen who got married in NYC to a Spanish national this past October 2008. We met when I went on a trip to Spain this past June 2008 (I know, we got married fast). I didn't read up on the green card process enough before and I am kicking myself now for getting married in the U.S., but I will applying for the I-130 soon (K-3 as well to try to speed things up) and wanted to know how long I should expect to wait for approval. I know each case is different, but since Spain isnt a 3rd world country, I was hoping it wouldnt take longer than 6 months. Can anyone on here that has a Spanish spouse share their experience? Thank you.

first of all congrats on your wedding. is your spouse in the US at the moment? if they are in the US at the moment, you can simply apply for adjustment of status rather than going through I-130 route/CR-1/K3 route. it doesnt matter what part of the world you are in, if you file a spousal visa CR-1 or K3, the average time for a visa approval is anywhere from 10-12 months from start to finish.

USCIS (Vermont Service Center) Journey

Mailed I-130 Packet on 05/27/08

Approved: 12/23/08

NVC Journey

NVC Case Number assigned 01/02/09

Case Completed 01/21/09

End of Visa Journey

New Delhi Embassy Interview 03/17/09

VISA APPROVED!!!!!

Timeline
Hi Everyone:

first of all congrats on your wedding. is your spouse in the US at the moment? if they are in the US at the moment, you can simply apply for adjustment of status rather than going through I-130 route/CR-1/K3 route. it doesnt matter what part of the world you are in, if you file a spousal visa CR-1 or K3, the average time for a visa approval is anywhere from 10-12 months from start to finish.

Thank you!

She is not in the U.S. currently. She left after staying here for the month of October, and she visited a couple times previously in June and September. I know it makes it more difficult now that she left and I am kicking myself that I didnt research this enough. I thought about having her come in a few months to stay and then apply for an adjustment, but I know that way is risky and would complicate things if she got denied. That's why I'm going to apply for the I-130 while she is in Spain, but really don't know if I can bear to wait 10-12 months. I can't even fathom that.

Edited by Al26

Timeline
Hi Everyone:

Thank you!

She is not in the U.S. currently. She left after staying here for the month of October, and she visited a couple times previously in June and September. I know it makes it more difficult now that she left and I am kicking myself that I didnt research this enough. I thought about having her come in a few months to stay and then apply for an adjustment, but I know that way is risky and would complicate things if she got denied. That's why I'm going to apply for the I-130 while she is in Spain, but really don't know if I can bear to wait 10-12 months. I can't even fathom that.

you had the easiest life out of all of us and you let the chance go by....you could have easily filed for an adjustment of status and life would have been so good....but its ok, it cannot be reverted back now...maybe something better is in store for u...i wudnt suggest calling her over to adjust status as that can get you into serious issues...unfortunately the only option that you have now is either a CR-1 (standalone I-130) or a K3. i would suggest going the CR-1 route and make life easy for you this time around...again, dont loose hope, good times will be back soon...God bless!

NVC Journey

Case Completed 01/21/09

End of Visa Journey

VISA APPROVED!!!!!

Timeline
Hi Everyone:

Thank you!

you had the easiest life out of all of us and you let the chance go by....you could have easily filed for an adjustment of status and life would have been so good....but its ok, it cannot be reverted back now...maybe something better is in store for u...i wudnt suggest calling her over to adjust status as that can get you into serious issues...unfortunately the only option that you have now is either a CR-1 (standalone I-130) or a K3. i would suggest going the CR-1 route and make life easy for you this time around...again, dont loose hope, good times will be back soon...God bless!

why did i rush into things!!! sigh....

Shame you didn't adjust while she was here in the U.S. That is what me and my husband did successfully (we married on the spur of the moment on my last visit). However you will be ok (as you mentioned Spain is not a 3rd world country with high fraud rate) and I'm sure it won't take that long for your K3 to be approved.

Unfortunately I have no idea about how the embassy in Spain works. Never been there (I was a UK resident so my situation was different since I was not living in Spain) however, the sooner you guys start with the process the better. Good thing is that she will be able to travel freely in the VWP.

Good luck to you guys and keep on checking this site it is very useful. You can get lots of tips and advice on how to do things.

ALL THE BEST!

Timeline:

12-16-07 Arrival in the US from Good Ol' Blighty

02-13-08 Got married in Los Angeles

02-22-08 Civil Surgeon Appointment

Adjustment of Status

02-29-08 Sent I-130, AOS, EAD, AP (Via FedEx) to Chicago

03-03-08 Package arrived in Chicago

03-07-08 All Cheques cashed!!

03-10-08 NOAs for I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 received

03-16-08 NOAs for I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 touched

03-27-08 Biometrics Appointment at 2pm (Notice date: 03.11.08)

04-30-08 Received EAD "card production ordered" & AP Approval notices from CRIS (YESSSS!!!!!)

05-06-08 I-765 touched and AP received in the mail!

05-08-08 Received I-765 "approval notice sent" e-mail from CRIS

05-09-08 EAD received in the mail (YIIPPEEYY!!!)

08-22-08 Notice of Action for initial interview received (10-08-08)

10-08-08 AOS Interview in Los Angeles: APPROVED!!!!

10-09-08 I-485 touched! (Card Production Ordered)

10-15-08 NOAs for I-130 (approval notice) and I-485 (welcome letter) received

10-22-08 Green Card finally arrived!!!

Removing of Conditions

07-14-10 Sent I-751 (Via USPS next day delivery) to California Service Center

07-22-10 Received NOA 1

07-30-10 Received NOA 2 (Biometrics appointment on 08-11-10)

08-31-10 NOA for Removal of Conditions approved

09-02-10 Approval letter received

09-03-10 Green Card arrived!!!

ePcwm7.png

.png

Timeline
Shame you didn't adjust while she was here in the U.S. That is what me and my husband did successfully (we married on the spur of the moment on my last visit). However you will be ok (as you mentioned Spain is not a 3rd world country with high fraud rate) and I'm sure it won't take that long for your K3 to be approved.

Unfortunately I have no idea about how the embassy in Spain works. Never been there (I was a UK resident so my situation was different since I was not living in Spain) however, the sooner you guys start with the process the better. Good thing is that she will be able to travel freely in the VWP.

Good luck to you guys and keep on checking this site it is very useful. You can get lots of tips and advice on how to do things.

ALL THE BEST!

doenst matter if the beneficiary's country is a 3rd world country or not. USCIS will take its time.

NVC Journey

Case Completed 01/21/09

End of Visa Journey

VISA APPROVED!!!!!

Timeline

ALL THE BEST!

doenst matter if the beneficiary's country is a 3rd world country or not. USCIS will take its time.

What if my wife applies for a student Visa (F-1 I believe) and enters the country with that. If we file for AOS let's say 6 months or 1 year into her studies, would it pose a problem that we were married prior when it comes time for the GC interview?

Edited by Al26

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.