dbears

K1 Applying SSN after marriage

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I arrived here in Johnston county, NC on Sept. 4, 2008 with my 2 kids, K1 and K2 respectively. Me and then fiance/now husband got married October 18, 2008.

We waited till after the wedding to apply for SSN just so we could have my SSN in my married name and not have to go back and forth changing my name. When we went to SS office in Smithfield, NC the lady told us that I am not eligible to get SSN since I got married already and therefore I am not a fiancee anymore and K1 only covers the fiancee... she was saying something about me being a K3 now since I am married and I was confused coz I thought K1 was one time visa which expired/used up the moment I entered US soil and my getting married do not change the fact that I entered the US on a K1 and therefore still be eligible to get SSN since my I-94 is still valid. The lady at the SS office said i will need to get EAD or go through the whole immigration process again as a wife of a US citizen in order to get the SSN.

I know I will need to go through AOS but I thought that is another story, we will surely do that before my I-94 expires but we sure want to have SSN beforehand. I never thought i would forfeit my eligibility to get SSN as a K1 just because I got married and I surely have never heard of anybody coming here as a K1 and then have to go through the whole immigration process to get a K3 after the wedding just to get SSN, it sounds crazy to me. Obviously the lady at SS office didn't know what she was saying but I also got so confused that I didn't know how to rebut the points she raised.

I hope somebody could help shed light on this. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Go back to SSA office and go to another person, just make sure ayaw adto sa mga itomon nga emplyado kay samot na mga tanga! mao na ako experienced sad diri sa Pennsylvania.

vAYw-19x.jpg?height=640&scale=max&width=640

vAYw-195.jpg

vAYw-19t.jpg?height=640&scale=max&width=640

Timeline
The same thing we did with my hubby...we went there in SSA here in CA last week after we got married....but the lady who works on that office tells me that i cant use my married last name not when i have my green card... :rolleyes: she said we will just com back when i have my green card to change my last name...i get really confuse about these things...since i arrived here everything is very confusing to me :(...

Just go back to another person in SSA office,but make sure wag kang lumapit sa mga itim na empleyado kasi mas lalong mga tanga yun! i'm done with your experienced before.

vAYw-19x.jpg?height=640&scale=max&width=640

vAYw-195.jpg

vAYw-19t.jpg?height=640&scale=max&width=640

Go back to the office today. Ask for the office manager if you again have a problem.

HOURS: 09:00 AM - 04:00 PM

Already done it, thank you very much. :thumbs:

good thing that I know what are the requirements through their website and that I know I have to fight for I know what is right, not like those stupid employees here in the US who doesn't even know what they're doing, it's useless that the government is paying them, most of them are so incompetent, they're not like the employees in the Philippines who are so knowledgable and so reliable on their jobs.
LOL! They are especially good in the RP after they receive a tip... ooops... I mean bribe too.
Yes, the Philippines has some of the best workers money can buy.

I am not sure why the quote above ended up having my name as the poster but it sure was not me who gave the highlighted comment... on the contrary, I have been victim of inefficiency of several government employees in the Philippines and sadly, I have also been witnessed to how "some" gov't employees take bribes just to process your papers so I would never claim them to be more reliable... well, esp the people at the US embassy who surely give me a headache when I was making follow ups on my visa. There were good employees in the Philippines, people who truly love their jobs but there were plain stupid employees also who only got their job because they were related or they know someone in authority... same thing here in the US, there are people who knows and love what they are doing and there are employees who just have inflated ego who thinks they know it all but actually don't know anything at all.

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

Filed: Other Timeline
Dbears,,,

Nag apply ako ng ssn after we got married and they asked me the same question,,,but ung guy sa ssn very nice and helpful,,he didnt give us a hard time..he called us in our house and told that we need to comeback at the ssn coz i need to sign the application kasi the 1st time we went there hinde na i process kasi im already married and im under k1 din at di pa na process or naiforward sa data base nila ung record ko sa immigration...thats the reason why he called us again..after 2 weeks i got my ssn with my hubby lastname na..!!!!

God bless,

Irene

you mean, they just need to update the info that I am already married to immigration then I could apply for SSN without any hassle na? that would be nice... thank you very much..

thank you also to everybody who had given input.. you have all been very helpful. will probably go back to SS office tomorrow.

I got married October 18, 2008 and applied for ssn a week after that. I got the most stupid, inefficient, lazy, ugly ( with big eyes) and uncourteous black guy in that office. I got so frustrated coz the experience was really bad. I waited for two hours to have my number called, and the office really s_cks coz they don't even have microphones, and most visitors there are old people who hardly hear when they call a number. I was confused and was about to knock my head and ask if I was really in the U.S. ( people here pay high taxes and what a shame that they can't even afford a microphone for that ss office!) and there were only two people in the window!) .

When my number was called, I handed the application form to this ugly guy, but he just glanced at it then asked me, "what are u here for?, what's your ss number?" At the back of my mind, I was like telling him" Idiot! will u take a look at the paper I gave you!" But of course, I replied: I don't have ss number yet, that's why I am here for and that's my application form." He glanced at it and asked me where I got it (which is another irrellevant stupid question!) but still I replied that I got it from their website. He made faces, typed something on the computer and everytime he mistyped, he woud say sh**t. He never even looked closely at my application form and just looked at my passport. And when he was finished printing the receipt, he handed it to me in a manner like throwing it at me, asked me to check if the info there are correct. So I knew, he put me on my maiden name coz he didn't look at my application form. So i told him, my last name is wrong, and told him I am already married. But, still he told me, it can't be in my married name coz the Homeland Security still has my name in my maiden name. I went out of the office with the receipt that I applied for ssn and still waiting for it to arrive in the mail. ( in my maiden name)

So, how do you report to immigration that you are already married so they can change the record into your married name? Is there any number to call or you need to walk in and hand to them the marriage cert, or just mail it? or you just have to send the AOS package to them so they can change their record of your name in married one?

I'm getting frustrated dealing with government offices here in the U. S.. Seems like there is no uniformity and efficiency. I even received my first set of certified marriage certs with wrong date on it- October 18, 2007! when it is wriiten there that we applied for the license Sept 22, 2008. So inefficient. I wish the government employees here have the concept and sense of customer service, and hope they are courteous and efficient- what a shame that this is first world!

Timeline

Hi, we have the same married date, Oct. 18, 2008. ;)

Anyway, i went to SS office and had no problem..all i brought was the application, passport, and marriage certificate...

At first the guy gave me a Social security in the name of my passport..and he made me check if it is correct..well there were many mistakes, such as my mother's name spelled wrong and my married name not shown..he did not read what it was written in the application..he based it all thru my passport. So I told him that i would like my name changed to my married name and showed him again my marriage certificate..SO then he changed it..after two weeks, i received my ss card..now i am applying for my California ID..

So even if you have married, you are able to get an SS as your I-94 havent expired yet.

Good Luck! :thumbs:

As per advise by many here, we went back to Smithfield SSA office early today, went there before the office opened, went there armed with all the necessary papers and also pages 6-8 of RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants. I even highlighted and encircled section C heading just to prove that my basis for eligibility is my ADMISSION CLASS which did not change even after I got married here. I also highlighted the K1 part under section C.

My husband did not want to talk to the same lady we talked to before to the point that he had to swap visitor number 2x in the hope that we would be assigned to a different person but that lady was just too fast, she was able to talk and dismissed 4 visitors while the other two SSA employees were still talking to same person. So we were forced to go to her when she called our number. I explained our case and tried to show her the papers I printed off from their website but she dismissed it, saying all my information was wrong, she did not even want to look at the papers I was holding. To prove her point, she said; "I am going to type your info and I am gonna show you that they will reject it.". she then went ahead and type all info and then she turned her monitor towards me so I could see that it was requiring her to put in an additional proof like EAD.. but she put K4 as my visa class. I told her, i am not K4, i was under K1 and she was insisting coz that was how she read the stamp on my I-94 which was actually K-1 just written haphazardly. I told her to check my visa and she did then same thing happen, it was asking her for additional proof... I was still insisted and asked her to at least take a look at the other documents I was holding, the ones I printed off from their own site.. she still wouldn't look at my papers coz according to her, it was all wrong and said: "Let me just show this to you so you would know that I am CORRECT and that you CAN NOT get SSN."... some clicks and she turned the monitor towards me again and showed me... GUESS WHAT?... RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants page, the very same thing I was trying to show her only that she was focused on Section B. I asked her to scroll down to section C but she wouldn't do it, she was so adamant in pointing out how the DHS requires me to have EAD card before getting SSN... so, I shoved the papers I was holding to her (the ones she was claiming to be incorrect info) which have section C highlighted, she was forced to look at it then asked me where did it say K1 under it and i flipped a page and showed her the highlighted K1 under section C... she freaked out saying (voiced raised): WHERE DID YOU GET THAT? YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE ACCESS TO THAT, SOMEBODY MUST HAVE GIVEN THAT TO YOU!.... my husband calmly said: "Ah, we printed if off this morning from your website."... this time she stood up shaking her head vehemently and still insisted that we are not supposed to get it and was implying we got hold of it illegally and still kept on insisting I am not eligible for SSN. Husband mentioned about others who came here under K1, got married then applied for SSN without problem and check what the stupid lady said: "WELL, THEY ARE SURELY ON THE SUSPECT LIST TOO! We have handled all type of visa here" (whatever she meant by that :bonk: .. and yeah, she have handled all type of visa she didn't even know the different "K" visa--me K4! DUH!)... I was boiling at that point and wanted to give her a few lashing words. But husband pulled me and politely said goodbye. I managed to hold my tongue and just said out loud: "Well, we just need to go to Raleigh then.".. making sure she heard it.

So off to Raleigh we go... and there the lady we talked to accepted my application with no problem but pointed out also that I may or may not receive my SSN card because they still need to verify authenticity of my records with INS and it may take a few days to a few weeks and my I-94 is about to expire already. She explained the reason why the system was rejecting my application under my married name (though, i didn't quiet catch the explaination but she assured me there was no problem and the only issue is the time left on the validity of my I-94) She said they will send me my SSN card as soon as they receive verification from INS and we could only hope it will be before my I-94 expires or else I may just need to go back there when I get my EAD or greencard... well, at least she accepted my application, gave me a copy that states I applied for SSN. We were somewhat vindicated coz it at least helped prove that the lady we first talked to in Smithfiled just didn't know what she was talking about and just have a fully inflated ego which prevented her from admitting that she was wrong even when I presented her some papers taken from their own site.

We left the SSA Raleigh office satisfied while also contemplating on the what ifs.. if only the lady in smithfield knew what she was doing and accepted my application two weeks ago when we first went there,.. if only I posted our SSA experience here on vj immediately after it happend, i would have gotten good advise ASAP and we could have worked on it immediately and time would not have been a bigger issue as it is now. But well, we can only learn from everything... Lesson learn: Be active on VJ and ask!

Again thank you very much for all the inputs... and thank you I Quit for taking the time to PM and remind me what to do and when to do it.

ROC

N-400

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

As per advise by many here, we went back to Smithfield SSA office early today, went there before the office opened, went there armed with all the necessary papers and also pages 6-8 of RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants. I even highlighted and encircled section C heading just to prove that my basis for eligibility is my ADMISSION CLASS which did not change even after I got married here. I also highlighted the K1 part under section C.

My husband did not want to talk to the same lady we talked to before to the point that he had to swap visitor number 2x in the hope that we would be assigned to a different person but that lady was just too fast, she was able to talk and dismissed 4 visitors while the other two SSA employees were still talking to same person. So we were forced to go to her when she called our number. I explained our case and tried to show her the papers I printed off from their website but she dismissed it, saying all my information was wrong, she did not even want to look at the papers I was holding. To prove her point, she said; "I am going to type your info and I am gonna show you that they will reject it.". she then went ahead and type all info and then she turned her monitor towards me so I could see that it was requiring her to put in an additional proof like EAD.. but she put K4 as my visa class. I told her, i am not K4, i was under K1 and she was insisting coz that was how she read the stamp on my I-94 which was actually K-1 just written haphazardly. I told her to check my visa and she did then same thing happen, it was asking her for additional proof... I was still insisted and asked her to at least take a look at the other documents I was holding, the ones I printed off from their own site.. she still wouldn't look at my papers coz according to her, it was all wrong and said: "Let me just show this to you so you would know that I am CORRECT and that you CAN NOT get SSN."... some clicks and she turned the monitor towards me again and showed me... GUESS WHAT?...

RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants page, the very same thing I was trying to show her only that she was focused on Section B. I asked her to scroll down to section C but she wouldn't do it, she was so adamant in pointing out how the DHS requires me to have EAD card before getting SSN... so, I shoved the papers I was holding to her (the ones she was claiming to be incorrect info) which have section C highlighted, she was forced to look at it then asked me where did it say K1 under it and i flipped a page and showed her the highlighted K1 under section C... she freaked out saying (voiced raised): WHERE DID YOU GET THAT? YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE ACCESS TO THAT, SOMEBODY MUST HAVE GIVEN THAT TO YOU!.... my husband calmly said: "Ah, we printed if off this morning from your website."... this time she stood up shaking her head vehemently and still insisted that we are not supposed to get it and was implying we got hold of it illegally and still kept on insisting I am not eligible for SSN. Husband mentioned about others who came here under K1, got married then applied for SSN without problem and check what the stupid lady said: "WELL, THEY ARE SURELY ON THE SUSPECT LIST TOO! We have handled all type of visa here" (whatever she meant by that :bonk: .. and yeah, she have handled all type of visa she didn't even know the different "K" visa--me K4! DUH!)... I was boiling at that point and wanted to give her a few lashing words. But husband pulled me and politely said goodbye. I managed to hold my tongue and just said out loud: "Well, we just need to go to Raleigh then.".. making sure she heard it.

So off to Raleigh we go... and there the lady we talked to accepted my application with no problem but pointed out also that I may or may not receive my SSN card because they still need to verify authenticity of my records with INS and it may take a few days to a few weeks and my I-94 is about to expire already. She explained the reason why the system was rejecting my application under my married name (though, i didn't quiet catch the explaination but she assured me there was no problem and the only issue is the time left on the validity of my I-94) She said they will send me my SSN card as soon as they receive verification from INS and we could only hope it will be before my I-94 expires or else I may just need to go back there when I get my EAD or greencard... well, at least she accepted my application, gave me a copy that states I applied for SSN. We were somewhat vindicated coz it at least helped prove that the lady we first talked to in Smithfiled just didn't know what she was talking about and just have a fully inflated ego which prevented her from admitting that she was wrong even when I presented her some papers taken from their own site.

We left the SSA Raleigh office satisfied while also contemplating on the what ifs.. if only the lady in smithfield knew what she was doing and accepted my application two weeks ago when we first went there,.. if only I posted our SSA experience here on vj immediately after it happend, i would have gotten good advise ASAP and we could have worked on it immediately and time would not have been a bigger issue as it is now. But well, we can only learn from everything... Lesson learn: Be active on VJ and ask!

Again thank you very much for all the inputs... and thank you I Quit for taking the time to PM and remind me what to do and when to do it.

dbears,

We have the same experience here in Ga too that is why I decided to wait for my GC but anyway in time everything will be in order . God bless you and the kids and your hubby. By the way, my hubby and I went to Otto NC last Nov 3.

God is Great .. God is good... all the time..

N_-400

12/13/2010- SEnt The packet

12/22/2010- The packet was returned due to missing page.

12/23/2010- Resend the packet with complete pages.

12/29/2010- Check cashed in

01/03/2010- Receive NOA

01/10/2011- Email from USCIS for the Required Evidence( Finger printing)

01/26/2011-Biometric Schedule

02/07/2011-USCIS online status update-

02/12/2011- Received Interview Letter Scheduled March 14

02/12/2011- Received Descheduled letter

02/17/2011- USCIS online Status update

02/22/2011-New IL arrived schedule for March 29

02/22/2011-Descheduled Letter Again ( 2nd Time)

02/23/2011- I called USCIS and I was told new schedule in the computer for March 22

02/23/2011-USCIS ONline update....

03/01/2011-Interview Letter for March 22 @ 7:15 AM

03/22/2011- Interview and Oath; US Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
I arrived here in Johnston county, NC on Sept. 4, 2008 with my 2 kids, K1 and K2 respectively. Me and then fiance/now husband got married October 18, 2008.

We waited till after the wedding to apply for SSN just so we could have my SSN in my married name and not have to go back and forth changing my name. When we went to SS office in Smithfield, NC the lady told us that I am not eligible to get SSN since I got married already and therefore I am not a fiancee anymore and K1 only covers the fiancee... she was saying something about me being a K3 now since I am married and I was confused coz I thought K1 was one time visa which expired/used up the moment I entered US soil and my getting married do not change the fact that I entered the US on a K1 and therefore still be eligible to get SSN since my I-94 is still valid. The lady at the SS office said i will need to get EAD or go through the whole immigration process again as a wife of a US citizen in order to get the SSN.

I know I will need to go through AOS but I thought that is another story, we will surely do that before my I-94 expires but we sure want to have SSN beforehand. I never thought i would forfeit my eligibility to get SSN as a K1 just because I got married and I surely have never heard of anybody coming here as a K1 and then have to go through the whole immigration process to get a K3 after the wedding just to get SSN, it sounds crazy to me. Obviously the lady at SS office didn't know what she was saying but I also got so confused that I didn't know how to rebut the points she raised.

I hope somebody could help shed light on this. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Another SSA employee might be able to help. The SSA has very good staff in most places, but of course most of them are not accustomed to handling non-citizens except in the places where there are lots and lots of immigrants to process. You were wise to go to Raleigh, for that reason.

Filed: Timeline

Go back to SSA office and go to another person, just make sure ayaw adto sa mga itomon nga emplyado kay samot na mga tanga! mao na ako experienced sad diri sa Pennsylvania.

Look this isn't the Philippines forum, so please stick to English.

My husband did not want to talk to the same lady we talked to before to the point that he had to swap visitor number 2x in the hope that we would be assigned to a different person but that lady was just too fast, she was able to talk and dismissed 4 visitors while the other two SSA employees were still talking to same person. So we were forced to go to her when she called our number. I explained our case and tried to show her the papers I printed off from their website but she dismissed it, saying all my information was wrong, she did not even want to look at the papers I was holding. To prove her point, she said; "I am going to type your info and I am gonna show you that they will reject it.". she then went ahead and type all info and then she turned her monitor towards me so I could see that it was requiring her to put in an additional proof like EAD.. but she put K4 as my visa class. I told her, i am not K4, i was under K1 and she was insisting coz that was how she read the stamp on my I-94 which was actually K-1 just written haphazardly. I told her to check my visa and she did then same thing happen, it was asking her for additional proof... I was still insisted and asked her to at least take a look at the other documents I was holding, the ones I printed off from their own site.. she still wouldn't look at my papers coz according to her, it was all wrong and said: "Let me just show this to you so you would know that I am CORRECT and that you CAN NOT get SSN."... some clicks and she turned the monitor towards me again and showed me... GUESS WHAT?...

RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants page, the very same thing I was trying to show her only that she was focused on Section B. I asked her to scroll down to section C but she wouldn't do it, she was so adamant in pointing out how the DHS requires me to have EAD card before getting SSN... so, I shoved the papers I was holding to her (the ones she was claiming to be incorrect info) which have section C highlighted, she was forced to look at it then asked me where did it say K1 under it and i flipped a page and showed her the highlighted K1 under section C... she freaked out saying (voiced raised): WHERE DID YOU GET THAT? YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE ACCESS TO THAT, SOMEBODY MUST HAVE GIVEN THAT TO YOU!.... my husband calmly said: "Ah, we printed if off this morning from your website."... this time she stood up shaking her head vehemently and still insisted that we are not supposed to get it and was implying we got hold of it illegally and still kept on insisting I am not eligible for SSN. Husband mentioned about others who came here under K1, got married then applied for SSN without problem and check what the stupid lady said: "WELL, THEY ARE SURELY ON THE SUSPECT LIST TOO! We have handled all type of visa here" (whatever she meant by that :bonk: .. and yeah, she have handled all type of visa she didn't even know the different "K" visa--me K4! DUH!)... I was boiling at that point and wanted to give her a few lashing words. But husband pulled me and politely said goodbye.

When that kind of stuff happens you have to ask to speak with the office manager. Did you happen to get this lady's name?

I'm getting frustrated dealing with government offices here in the U. S.. Seems like there is no uniformity and efficiency. I even received my first set of certified marriage certs with wrong date on it- October 18, 2007! when it is wriiten there that we applied for the license Sept 22, 2008. So inefficient. I wish the government employees here have the concept and sense of customer service, and hope they are courteous and efficient- what a shame that this is first world!

You need to learn that there are different levels of government. Things like marriage certificates and driver's licenses are normally handled by state government. SSNs and immigration is handled by the Federal government. With state government the rules and the way things are run will probably be different for each of the 50 states. Regulations and procedures for the Federal government should be the same across the United States.

Timeline

Sorry to hear about the SSN experience Gaye. I got my SSN card almost a month ago with my single name on it. I decided to just wait for my EAD or GC until I go back to SSA office and have my bio info changed to my married name. Hopefully you will receive your card since they accepted your application in Raleigh.

My Journey to Motherhood

Our Wedding Pics

Onli In Da Pilipins - Collection of sights and thoughts for my beloved country.

Our Love HIStory

06/26/06: Met at Bigchurch.com

07/14/07: First meeting in person.

12/19/07: Got my surprise gift through snail mail: my engagement ring!

02/11-18/08: Valentine's Week together!

AOS Timeline (I-485, I-765)

04/09/09: Sent packet to Illinois Lockbox

04/20/09: Received Notice of Action

04/27/09: Received Biometrics Appointment

05/09/09: Biometrics Appointment

06/01/09: Received EAD Card

08/18/09: Interview (postponed due to baby's delivery)

12/16/09: Interview - Approved!

2_613061495l.jpg

In her eyes I see the reflection of what love is all about.

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

Ecclesiastes 4:12

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello po, naku meron tlgang mga SSA office that don't allow after u got married eh u cant apply SSN and they will tell u na after u got ur EAD or greencard ka pa pwede... i know a couple of friend na ganun one in staunton, va at sa new york.. while dito sa richmond wala nman naging problem.. ewan natin bakit iba-iba sila ng policy hayyy... pero nadadaan ata sa pakiusapan kc yung isa kong friend from hampton, va (vj member din) pinakiusapan nya yung supervisor, she said they will need for medical insurance i think... so ayun pinagbigyan.. hope makapag-apply kna din soon at pumayag sila.. good luck po..

09/30/08 - mailed AOS, AP and EAD thru USPS

10/02/08 - received and signed by V. Bustamante

10/06/08 - check cashed out

10/07/08 - date of NOA

10/08/08 - last touch for AP and EAD

10/28/08 - AOS transferred to CSC

11/04/08 - touched on AOS

11/05/08 - touched again on AOS

11/06/08 - touched again on AOS ( no touch on AP and EAD)

12/08/08 - EAD approved according to USCIS officer (from infopass)

12/09/08 - touched on AP and EAD

12/10/08 - AP approved dated 12/09

12/15/08 - AP on mail

01/12/09 - went to infopass - found out my EAD has been approved since DEC 8,2008

01/21/09 - biometrics appoinment

01/21/09- Card production ordered for I-765 and a touched for I-485

01/22/09 - touched on I-485

01/23/09 - touched again on i-485

01/26/09- touched again on I-485 and i-765! WOW!

01/29/09 - i-765 approval notice sent.. and EAD card received in mail

02/24/09 - AOS APPROVED!! thanks God!

02/25/09 - AOS touched again

02/27/09 - GC and welcome letter received in the mail

RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants page, the very same thing I was trying to show her only that she was focused on Section B. I asked her to scroll down to section C but she wouldn't do it, she was so adamant in pointing out how the DHS requires me to have EAD card before getting SSN... so, I shoved the papers I was holding to her (the ones she was claiming to be incorrect info) which have section C highlighted, she was forced to look at it then asked me where did it say K1 under it and i flipped a page and showed her the highlighted K1 under section C... she freaked out saying (voiced raised): WHERE DID YOU GET THAT? YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE ACCESS TO THAT, SOMEBODY MUST HAVE GIVEN THAT TO YOU!.... my husband calmly said: "Ah, we printed if off this morning from your website."... this time she stood up shaking her head vehemently and still insisted that we are not supposed to get it and was implying we got hold of it illegally and still kept on insisting I am not eligible for SSN. Husband mentioned about others who came here under K1, got married then applied for SSN without problem and check what the stupid lady said: "WELL, THEY ARE SURELY ON THE SUSPECT LIST TOO! We have handled all type of visa here" (whatever she meant by that :bonk: .. and yeah, she have handled all type of visa she didn't even know the different "K" visa--me K4! DUH!)... I was boiling at that point and wanted to give her a few lashing words. But husband pulled me and politely said goodbye.

When that kind of stuff happens you have to ask to speak with the office manager. Did you happen to get this lady's name?

we did not get the lady's name. my husband thought it was not worth it to stress ourselves out dealing with her but I bet after we left she probably scrolled down her page and read the whole section C of that page she was showing me and which she insinuated we obtained by shady means. I just hope by reading it she will be able to assist others like us better in the future. Bless her heart.

ROC

N-400

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I heard this issue all the time, the best thing you can do is to bring the SSA 5 INSTRUCTION FORM and point out the words where a K1 IS ELIGIBLE TO apply, married or not as long as your 1-94 is not expired or atl east 14 days earlier with its expiration date.

This is flor, we had the same interview date and met you at USEM hehe.

2010.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.