Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi guys, I am brand new to this website and forum. Don't really know how all this works. Anyway, my name is Beth and I'm newly engaged to my fiance from Nairobi. I'm at the early stages of filling out the I-129F and am wondering about the address. My fiance's apartment is in Jamhuri Estate but there is no actual street name. It is a street off of a main road. Also, I don't see anywhere to input his PO Box info. I just don't want to make any mistakes this early on!! Any insight?

Welcome to VJ bethieboo. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hi Annie! COngratulations on the smooth entry into the US! We thought ours through Boston was pretty smooth as well-- until we discovered at the SSN office that they hadn't given him an entry visa number--and we had to go back to the airport and get it!

I am really sorry to hear about the new embassy rules! It was so nice to be there with Hiller. I wonder why they changed that-- I would think it would help to see that the fiance is there and it is a legitimate relationship. It's also too bad about the new lady...why can't people be nice?

Thanks so much for the congratulations! I am about 5 weeks away now from my due date! We are very excited!!!

I remember being where you are about a year and a half ago....funny how the whole process is so much easier when you have your loved one by your side!

Thanks everyone for the congratulations!! Jack and I arrived home on Nov 23rd. The POE was sooo smooth. We went through the USC line together and the guy was super friendly and chatty. We had to go back to the immigration office which I'm assuming is pretty normal. They just logged in all the paperwork and checked a few databases and were cracking jokes the whole time. As we were walking out they all said in unison "Welcome to the United States!!" it was so nice!!

Katie-- I also read that thread about the rude CO in Nairobi. It probably was the same one. The other ladies there were super bubbly and cheery with everyone. All of us waiting in the waiting area were praying to go anywhere except window 10....it didn't work! Haha :)

Madelene-- I just wanted to say CONGRATS! I was excited to hear that you are expecting! :)

Beth-- Welcome to the thread! I was the newbie a couple months ago and flew through the process with the help of these fine ladies :) can't wait to hear all about your process along the way. Just an advanced heads up: According to the guards at the Embassy, I was the very last USC to be allowed to attend the interview with their fiancé. I'm guessing that the CO who interviewed Jack (and also told him I wasn't allowed to be there) had something to do with this. They are not permitting ANY Americans to enter the gate without their own appointment letter. They wouldn't let me pass through to pick up the visa, which is when they explained the new rules. If you want to attend, I would suggest sending them an email and asking them to reply with a confirmed appointment with both of your names on it. Would hate for you to make the trip and then be left waiting outside!

Well guys, we have been here a week-- and so far Jack loves it! We have gotten our first snow which was exciting for him and he is like a celebrity everywhere he goes. We were invited to be the guests of honor at our local rotary club's Christmas party last night. They didn't give a damn about me, as you can imagine, but he was bombarded by tons of intrigued people. It has been so nice for him to experience so many new things. All of you can relate I'm sure. It's so fun! Onto getting his SSN and vaccinations-- oh, and planning our little wedding... :)

Talk to you soon!

-K-1-

Apr 24th, 2008 - Proposal!!!

Jun 20th, 2008 - I-129F petition sent to VSC

Jun 24th, 2008 - NOA 1 Sent

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

Nov 12th, 2008 - APPROVED!!!! YEEEAAAH!!

Nov 14th, 2008 - NVC received petition

Nov 18th, 2008 - Petition leaves NVC

Nov 24th, 2008 - Petition arrives at Nairobi Embassy

Dec 23rd, 2008 - Medical Exam

Jan 7th, 2009 - Interview in Nairobi-- APPROVED!!! Visa in hand same day!

Feb 21st, 2009 - POE, Logan Airport Boston, USA -- forgot to give my fiance his I-94 # (!) Had to go back and get it when we realized

Mar 28th, 2009 - Wedding!

-AOS-

April 27th, 2009 - Mailed AOS & EAD

April 29th, 2009 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

May 5th, 2009 - NOA for AOS & EAD

May 30th, 2009 - Completed Biometrics at Boston Office

June 3rd, 2009 - EAD card production ordered

June 10th, 2009 - EAD arrived in mail

July 10th, 2009 - Touched

August 8th, 2009 - RFE = requesting a new I-693

August 21st, 2009 - Completed new medical

August 22nd, 2009 - Mailed RFE priority

August 26th, 2009 - CRIS e-mail: AOS approved!

Sept 3rd, 2009 - Conditional green card arrived in mail!

-ROC-

May 16th, 2011 - Applied to lift conditions at VSC

May 31st, 2011 - NOA, residence status extended for one year

Aug 16th, 2011 - Biometrics

Jan 4th, 2012 - Approved! Card is in the mail :)

Timeline

I remember being where you are about a year and a half ago....funny how the whole process is so much easier when you have your loved one by your side!

Totally agree...the AOS process was MUCH less stressful just because Sifa is HERE!

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

oh no!! Really hope we don't have that same experience! We are getting his SSN this week. And I agree, it was really nice being at the interview with Jack. I'm so glad I just beat the change in rules. There's no reason we shouldn't be allowed to go-- they are essentially playing with our fate as well! But I guess they were saying it was for reasons relative to the overcrowdedness of the consular section. They have sooo many people every day that they don't want people in there that aren't the applicant. Only problem I had with that excuse however was that I watched about 25 Somalians walk in with 2+ people, and definitely not people applying with them. Oh well. Maybe the consular officers feel threatened by us? Maybe they don't want our fiancé's to have the confidence that they do when we go in there with them? It must be much easier to deny the visa when we aren't staring them in the eyes standing 2 feet away from them :) haha. Regardless, the truth is that if everything is in order, we don't really serve a purpose in that room anyway, so I guess it won't be the end of the world for those who have future interviews.

Hi Annie! COngratulations on the smooth entry into the US! We thought ours through Boston was pretty smooth as well-- until we discovered at the SSN office that they hadn't given him an entry visa number--and we had to go back to the airport and get it!

I am really sorry to hear about the new embassy rules! It was so nice to be there with Hiller. I wonder why they changed that-- I would think it would help to see that the fiance is there and it is a legitimate relationship. It's also too bad about the new lady...why can't people be nice?

Thanks so much for the congratulations! I am about 5 weeks away now from my due date! We are very excited!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Congrats again to Ann and Jack!!

Sorry to here about the rude CO. I actually had to go back to re-package my visa brown envelope because of missed medication forms and it was so sad that all the visitors and students visa applicants were denied. She might have been the same CO i guess.

Jack, I will too be flying into JFK soon, was it so smooth going through the POE? Did you hand carry your X-ray from IOM?

I wish you two a happy life together!

K-1 Visa
Mailed package: 2010-05-21 NOA1: 2010-06-04 NOA2: 2010-08-24 Medical: 2010-09-27 Interview: 2010-09-30 APPROVED!!!! POE: 2010-12-26(JFK)
AOS
Mailed package: 2011-02-05 NOA1: 2011-02-12 Transferred to CSC: 2011-03-16 Biometrics: 2011-03-29 EAD/AP card received: 2011-04-09 GreenCard Received: 2011-04-23
ROC
Mailed package: 2013-01-15 NOA1: 2013-01-18 Biometrics: 2013-02-21 Approved: 2013-07-09 Card production ordered: 2013-07-18 Received: 2013-07-25

N400
Mailed package: 2014-01-16 NOA1: 2014-01-23 Biometrics: 2014-02-13 In-line: 2014-03-14 Interview: 2014-06-10 Oath: 2014-06-25

Passport (Normal)
Mailed package: 2014-07-10 Received: 2014-08-06

Timeline

Jack, I will too be flying into JFK soon, was it so smooth going through the POE? Did you hand carry your X-ray from IOM?

FYI, you never need your x-ray again even though the embassy says to take it on the plane and whatever. Sifa's is still sitting in our closet! I don't know why they tell you that you need to have it since it just is a pain in the butt to carry on with multiple flight changes etc...

Edited by katie & sifa

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Timeline

Congrats again to Ann and Jack!!

Sorry to here about the rude CO. I actually had to go back to re-package my visa brown envelope because of missed medication forms and it was so sad that all the visitors and students visa applicants were denied. She might have been the same CO i guess.

I wish you two a happy life together!

Thank you! Our CO was only dealing with immigrant visas on the day of Jack's interview, but you're right, she wasn't the only one denying applicants. At least the other men and women interviewing and denying were nice about it though.

What happened to your envelope? How did you know that your medical papers weren't in there? That could have been bad if you didn't realize it before coming in. Glad that it was straightened out!

I pretty much did all the talking at JFK. I just handed the officer the big envelope and he went through it, stamping the appropriate pages and marking things up etc. He said he didn't want Jack's X-ray, so Jack and I couldn't really figure out why they told him at IOM to hand carry it. But better safe than sorry-- we would recommend bringing it just in case.

Good luck to you as you continue to prepare for your big trip. Everything should be very easy going! Safe travels!

Timeline

Asante Saana Katie!

K-1 Visa
Mailed package: 2010-05-21 NOA1: 2010-06-04 NOA2: 2010-08-24 Medical: 2010-09-27 Interview: 2010-09-30 APPROVED!!!! POE: 2010-12-26(JFK)
AOS
Mailed package: 2011-02-05 NOA1: 2011-02-12 Transferred to CSC: 2011-03-16 Biometrics: 2011-03-29 EAD/AP card received: 2011-04-09 GreenCard Received: 2011-04-23
ROC
Mailed package: 2013-01-15 NOA1: 2013-01-18 Biometrics: 2013-02-21 Approved: 2013-07-09 Card production ordered: 2013-07-18 Received: 2013-07-25

N400
Mailed package: 2014-01-16 NOA1: 2014-01-23 Biometrics: 2014-02-13 In-line: 2014-03-14 Interview: 2014-06-10 Oath: 2014-06-25

Passport (Normal)

Timeline

FYI, you never need your x-ray again even though the embassy says to take it on the plane and whatever. Sifa's is still sitting in our closet! I don't know why they tell you that you need to have it since it just is a pain in the butt to carry on with multiple flight changes etc...

Haha yes! Totally agree! It was an annoyance and kept falling out of the overhead compartment in the plane. Jack was so irritated when they never ended up taking it from him. I kept asking all these immigration officers throughout the airport just to be completely sure! We didn't want to believe we went through that hastle for nothing, haha :)

Timeline

Asaante for the Information! My fiancee had to fly back a couple of days in advance to interview for a job in NYC so i will be flying in alone later. I now understand what you guys are going through while waiting for your loved ones from overseas because we have been insaperable for the last one and 1/2 years.

About the missing documents, they called me 2 or 3 days after getting back to Uganda and I couldn't imagine travelling back to Nairobi from Kampala. We were lucky that we never flew immediately after the approval so we had so much time to figure out when the best would be to go back to Nairobi for the re-packaging. I did a same day flight and had my whole visa re-packaged.

I am soon re-uniting with my mama bunny and the POE is JFK though shall be proceeding to Houston hence was worried about the waiting time at JFK given that its the busiest airport and my connecting time is approximately 4 hours. I will still carry the X-ray but in the check-in bag, you never know at the AOS stage it might be required.

How is Jack liking the US? Btw, I went skiing at the beginning of this year, you should consider taking him, he will like it i guess.

All the best for the rest of the process.

K-1 Visa
AOS
ROC

N400

Passport (Normal)

Timeline

Sorry you are apart right now! Adjusting to life apart after being together every day for so long is super tough. But the reunion is always awesome!!

I would think that 4 hours is plenty of time! If you get lucky and get to the front of the customs line you will be through very quickly. We took 45 minutes for everything so it wasn't bad at all. And if you feel that you are going to be late, you can ask one of the people directing immigration traffic to bring you up front. But 4 hours is quite a bit of time to be working with.

Jack is really liking it here. In a way this is the first time we have ever really had a life together. While I was with him for months in Kenya, we were limited in terms of our outings and such due to lack of transportation and pure lack of things to do. Here, he loves having a car and being involved in so many activities, meeting people, attending social events, etc... All things that we haven't really been able to do before. And while I have mentioned it before, he is in total shock of all this snow. Here in Central New York we have been absolutely hammered with lake effect snow. Syracuse has made national news- 4 straight days of snow. The snow is up to our waists! It's unbelievable! We haven't been skiiing, but will be sledding and ice skating this weekend. You probably won't be experiencing that in Houston, but if you'd ever like a taste of it, take a trip to NY! :)

Besides that fun, Jack is making friends, has gotten a membership to the local gym, has been asked to coach a kids soccer team at a local indoor facility, and has had 2 speaking presentations so far about Malaria in Kenya, and traditional practices of the Luo tribe, respectively, to university students. He LOVES all the new food, and is really gaining confidence and independence with my family and in his new surroundings. Everything is just great!

When will you be arriving in the US? We are excited for you, and of you have any more questions feel free to ask! This is such an exciting time!

Edited by AnnieMugaya

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.