divine1

Is Form W-2 required for form I-134 as supporting doc?

26 posts in this topic

Hi All,

We're also preparing for the visa interview and we're debating on whether the I-134 need to be notarized. It does not specifiy in the packet but under the "Where to File" section of the USCIS website where you download I-134, it says:

Where to File :

To file this form, it needs to be sworn to or affirmed by a USCIS Officer at any USCIS Office, by a notary public, or other official authorized to administer oaths for general purposes. If the sponsor is outside the United States, the affidavit must be sworn to or affirmed by a USCIS Officer or Consular Officer at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Once the form is affirmed, it should be mailed to the same USCIS office where the application was filed.

Looking forward to your help!

Rootbeer

The I-134 MUST be recent and notarized. My now husband had his notarized in the bank.

Goodluck!

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the tips, Jom. I just finished my interview today. Yes they need the affidavit of support (notarized), tax returns, 2007 W2 form, and pay stubs (last 2 months should be ok). The pre-screener asked for every single thing enumerated in the checklist from website. Nothing more, nothing less.

FYI for other people who are preparing for their interviews: You don't need to pay for the DV Fee (Document Verification Fee). A lot of people heard about it from "friends" and paid P650 at banks. But really, it is not specified in the list to prepare and it is not really required. You'll just be wasting money and effort doing that.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline
Hi All,

We're also preparing for the visa interview and we're debating on whether the I-134 need to be notarized. It does not specifiy in the packet but under the "Where to File" section of the USCIS website where you download I-134, it says:

Where to File :

To file this form, it needs to be sworn to or affirmed by a USCIS Officer at any USCIS Office, by a notary public, or other official authorized to administer oaths for general purposes. If the sponsor is outside the United States, the affidavit must be sworn to or affirmed by a USCIS Officer or Consular Officer at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Once the form is affirmed, it should be mailed to the same USCIS office where the application was filed.

Rootbeer

The I-134 MUST be recent and notarized. My now husband had his notarized in the bank.

Just an fyi for everyone - Form I-134 was updated in October 2008. Per the I-134 current instructions, the Form NO LONGER needs to be notarized because, as it says on the first page of the instructions under "EXECUTION OF AFFIDAVIT", "Signing Form I-134 is under penalty of perjury under U.S. law. FOR THIS REASON, IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO SIGN FORM I-134 BEFORE A NOTARY, NOR TO HAVE YOUR SIGNATURE NOTARIZED AFTER YOU SIGN IT." I hope this post helps reduce the burden and expense for people who read it.

Goodluck!

Hi All,

Where to File :

Rootbeer

Just an fyi for everyone - Form I-134 was updated in October 2008. Per the I-134 current instructions, the Form NO LONGER needs to be notarized because, as it says on the first page of the instructions under "EXECUTION OF AFFIDAVIT", "Signing Form I-134 is under penalty of perjury under U.S. law. FOR THIS REASON, IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO SIGN FORM I-134 BEFORE A NOTARY, NOR TO HAVE YOUR SIGNATURE NOTARIZED AFTER YOU SIGN IT." I hope this post helps reduce the burden and expense for people who read it.

Goodluck!

I am reposting this because I accidently embedded it in the previous poster's post and I want it to be a separate posting so people will see it:

Hi All,

Where to File :

Rootbeer

Goodluck!

I am reposting this because I accidently embedded it in the previous poster's post and I want it to be a separate posting so people will see it:

I think you may be misguided. These are the instructions listed on the USCIS website for Form I-134:

Edition Date : 10/30/2008. Prior versions are also acceptable. Where to File : To file this form, it needs to be sworn to or affirmed by a USCIS Officer at any USCIS Office, by a notary public, or other official authorized to administer oaths for general purposes. If the sponsor is outside the United States, the affidavit must be sworn to or affirmed by a USCIS Officer or Consular Officer at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

In this case, for K-1 Visa, the sworn (notorized) affidavit is to be filed at the embassy/consulate where the VISA APPLICATION is being filed. In other words, take it with you to the interview.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

This is one case where there is conflicting information. The pdf for the instructions states indeed that is need not be notoraized (10/30/08).

However, the USCIS webpage dated 12/30/08 states that it does. Getting it notarized can't hurt, and may be the safe play. Some banks do it for free. A public notary generally charges about $10 a page.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

My fiancee's interview will most likely be in March 2009. I am going to play it safe too. I'm going to get my I-134 notarized at the bank. Since I am a customer at that bank, they will notarize it for free.

Here is a list of other documents I will include with my I-134:

> Tax transcripts...from 2005, 2006, and 2007.

> Copies of my income tax returns...from 2005, 2006, 2007. and 2008.

> The originals of my W-2...from 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008.

> A letter of employment from my employer.

> Three months of recent paycheck stubs.

> Originals of recent bank statements...checking account...savings account...and other accounts.

> Home ownership documents.

I will not include a tax transcript for 2008 because it will not yet be available from the government.

I believe this will be enough for the consul officer, but I am still a bit nervous about the whole thing.

Am I forgetting anything?

This is one case where there is conflicting information. The pdf for the instructions states indeed that is need not be notoraized (10/30/08).

However, the USCIS webpage dated 12/30/08 states that it does. Getting it notarized can't hurt, and may be the safe play. Some banks do it for free. A public notary generally charges about $10 a page.

You're correct, there's a conflict. But when you compare the old form with the new October 2008 form, the USCIS has removed all the lines on the signature page where the Notary would stamp and sign the form. The instructions on the old form say it must be notarized, but the new form instructions are explicitly clear that it does not need to be notarized. As you say, it certainly does not hurt to have it notarized, but if you look at the new form, there's no room for the notary to sign and stamp it. Without the notary language "subscribed and sworn before me...", I just don't know how this form can be notarized.

My fiancee's interview will most likely be in March 2009. I am going to play it safe too. I'm going to get my I-134 notarized at the bank. Since I am a customer at that bank, they will notarize it for free.

> Originals of recent bank statements...checking account...savings account...and other accounts.

I will not include a tax transcript for 2008 because it will not yet be available from the government.

I believe this will be enough for the consul officer, but I am still a bit nervous about the whole thing.

This is definitely "playing it safe"! :) If you go to this Manila Embassy webpage, it says you only need the most recent tax return: http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3217.html. However, that's not enough. The instructions to the I-134 say you must have "sufficient income OR financial resources" so that the alien fiancee will not become a public charge and that you should supply supporting documents "that apply to your situation" (that is, documents to evidence EITHER sufficient income OR financial resources). In our case, my fiance has enough annual income to meet the minimum requirements, so we are only filling out the salary information and we are going to say "N/A" to all the financial resources questions. To provide documentary evidence of "sufficient income", we are supplying an employer letter as required in the instructions. However, since we are not going to show sufficient "financial resources" and not filling out the asset-based portion of Question #7, we are not completing all the asset information and therefore are not going to supply a bank letter and serial numbers and denominations of bonds, etc. because that supporting documentation does not "apply to our situation."

Here's our strategy: When they ask for the I-134 and supporting docs, we are going to use the October 2008 Form I-134 and not have it notarized. For supporting docs, we are going to provide his 2007 tax transcript and the 2007 W-2, and the employer letter. That's all we're going to give them because these are the only documents required. PLEASE NOTE: the documents required by the Form I-134 must be provided "in duplicate". So we are submitting TWO copies of the employer letter. However, to play it safe, I am going to bring some recent pay stubs and his 2005 and 2007 W-2s and, if available, his 2008 W-2. But, I'm only going to produce these other items if they ask for additional information. I'm also going to print out the instructions listed on the link I provided above and the Form instructions. If there are any problems, I'm going to show them that I followed their instructions precisely. Personally, I think you are producing way too much information, but I suppose it doesn't hurt. I would be shocked if they ask for your home owner docs. Also if you're income is sufficient, I don't think you will need to provide your bank statements, etc. Read the Form I-134 instructions, all of the first four paragraphs under "Supporting Evidence" indicate you only need to provide evidence of sufficient income OR financial resources.

This is definitely "playing it safe"! :) If you go to this Manila Embassy webpage, it says you only need the most recent tax return: http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3217.html. However, that's not enough. The instructions to the I-134 say you must have "sufficient income OR financial resources" so that the alien fiancee will not become a public charge and that you should supply supporting documents "that apply to your situation" (that is, documents to evidence EITHER sufficient income OR financial resources). In our case, my fiance has enough annual income to meet the minimum requirements, so we are only filling out the salary information and we are going to say "N/A" to all the financial resources questions. To provide documentary evidence of "sufficient income", we are supplying an employer letter as required in the instructions. However, since we are not going to show sufficient "financial resources" and not filling out the asset-based portion of Question #7, we are not completing all the asset information and therefore are not going to supply a bank letter and serial numbers and denominations of bonds, etc. because that supporting documentation does not "apply to our situation."

Here's our strategy: When they ask for the I-134 and supporting docs, we are going to use the October 2008 Form I-134 and not have it notarized. For supporting docs, we are going to provide his 2007 tax transcript and the 2007 W-2, and the employer letter. That's all we're going to give them because these are the only documents required. PLEASE NOTE: the documents required by the Form I-134 must be provided "in duplicate". So we are submitting TWO copies of the employer letter. However, to play it safe, I am going to bring some recent pay stubs and his 2005 and 2007 W-2s and, if available, his 2008 W-2. But, I'm only going to produce these other items if they ask for additional information. I'm also going to print out the instructions listed on the link I provided above and the Form instructions. If there are any problems, I'm going to show them that I followed their instructions precisely. Personally, I think you are producing way too much information, but I suppose it doesn't hurt. I would be shocked if they ask for your home owner docs. Also if you're income is sufficient, I don't think you will need to provide your bank statements, etc. Read the Form I-134 instructions, all of the first four paragraphs under "Supporting Evidence" indicate you only need to provide evidence of sufficient income OR financial resources.

Thanks for your response. Maybe I am a bit over-prepared, but it sure makes me (and my fiancee) feel better. I like your idea of including all of the instructions in case any questions come up. That is a great idea. But, I still may have my I-134 notarized.

Also, thanks for reminding me about the income requirement. I won't have any problem with the income requirement unless my fiancee demands an Imelda Marcos lifestyle. (Just kidding, baby)...

Let's hope the California Service Center picks up the pace again.

Good luck everyone...

Thanks for your response. Maybe I am a bit over-prepared, but it sure makes me (and my fiancee) feel better. I like your idea of including all of the instructions in case any questions come up. That is a great idea. But, I still may have my I-134 notarized.

Also, thanks for reminding me about the income requirement. I won't have any problem with the income requirement unless my fiancee demands an Imelda Marcos lifestyle. (Just kidding, baby)...

Let's hope the California Service Center picks up the pace again.

Good luck everyone...

You're welcome. It's always better to be OVER-prepared than UNDER-prepared, especially if it gives you peace of mind. For notarizing the I-134, you may want to locate the previous form so that the Notary has pre-filled lines that he/she can easily fill out. The new form has no room for a notary to sign and notarize (the signature block is very small now and it's at the bottom of the page right above the bar code and there's just no room). I can only find forms from third party sites like visapro, but we never use them because we are concerned they might not be exact replicas of the government's forms. I don't know how to retrieve the previous form from a gov't site.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.