SK&SP

K-1 people waiting for interviews at Montreal

3,179 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all! Just thought I'd introduce myself. Just received our NOA2 after seven months of waiting... woohoo! I'm not looking forward to waiting on Montreal, but I'm so happy that we finally have our NOA2, I don't care! :)

~Stephanie

04/08/09: The worst day of my life

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
DS160 and DS156 is the same.. so u get the 156K and 230 forms on the packet 3.

i usually email them and try to email them in the afternoon coz they tend to reply faster,like in an hour or so. maybe its just luck but it happens to me few times.

No the DS 156 and the DS 160 are 2 separate forms. You will get instructions to complete each of these with Packet 4 - so just hang tight and they will provide you with a link. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. It's simple to fill out.

I think that eventually the DS160 will replace the DS156 - but for now they want both.

The DS 156K is also required at the interview and that's the one you sign in front of them.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Hey 'July09Bride' I was looking at your timelines, you are right where we are :star: Keep in touch and let me know if you hear from them. I checked Canada Post on line today and it said that my package was delivered to Consulate yesterday.

I actually forgot to write the actual dept... but it has my MTL# on it... they'll forward appropriatly, no?

Poprocks... this is funny... Duncan had his medical exam yesterday and we sent the paperwork off after we got back to London from TO. We sent the P3 back XpressPost and it was received this morning at 7:42! So, we're a day behind you on the receipt of the P3. Maybe we'll see you on the Interview day... whenever that is! :)

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline
Hi all! Just thought I'd introduce myself. Just received our NOA2 after seven months of waiting... woohoo! I'm not looking forward to waiting on Montreal, but I'm so happy that we finally have our NOA2, I don't care! :)

~Stephanie

hi stephanie! good to see you here. congrats for the noa2 at last u got it

Timeline

Yet another question... Can the USC request information (regarding interview date) on behalf of the K-1 beneficiary? Or should only the beneficiary request information? My name and email is listed on his DS-160 (the online form we submitted).

Thank you for your help with this!

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline
Yet another question... Can the USC request information (regarding interview date) on behalf of the K-1 beneficiary? Or should only the beneficiary request information? My name and email is listed on his DS-160 (the online form we submitted).

I'm pretty sure you can call them or email them as well. I don't think it matters who contacts them. I know when I called them they asked me if I was the petitoner or the beneficiary to confirm.

I hope you get your interview soon!!

And, welcome Steph!!

I swear the last 4 months waiting for our interivew have flown by. They were much easier than waiting for the NOA2, that was pure torture for me.

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I'm pretty sure you can call them or email them as well. I don't think it matters who contacts them. I know when I called them they asked me if I was the petitoner or the beneficiary to confirm.

I hope you get your interview soon!!

And, welcome Steph!!

I swear the last 4 months waiting for our interivew have flown by. They were much easier than waiting for the NOA2, that was pure torture for me.

Thanks!!! I'm am so NOT a patient person. LOL I'm a teacher and all, but man, waiting like this is unbelievable!!! The build up is exactly as you described it... torture. Pure torture. Funny part is... I'm the USC and I'm the one worried and the one making sure everything is in its place. He's the one to do the interview and he's the calm one!!! :wacko:

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

i usually email them and try to email them in the afternoon coz they tend to reply faster,like in an hour or so. maybe its just luck but it happens to me few times.

No the DS 156 and the DS 160 are 2 separate forms. You will get instructions to complete each of these with Packet 4 - so just hang tight and they will provide you with a link. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. It's simple to fill out.

I think that eventually the DS160 will replace the DS156 - but for now they want both.

The DS 156K is also required at the interview and that's the one you sign in front of them.

They actually requested that I complete the DS160 in my packet 3, along with the DS156K and the DS230's...

I haven't seen the DS156...that must be coming with the Packet 4...

What number am I calling to speak with someone in Montreal to confirm receipt of my packet?

July09Bride... that is funny... you never know! Let me know if you hear from them and vice versa cause we are close :)

I spoke to medical office today, they got all my stuff from my Dr... I am to pick up my med package in a few days :)

My lawyer told me that at this stage, visiting may be difficult as they may give me issues at boarder. Anyone else have problems at this stage? Has anyone been turned away? I am so not a flight risk lol! we visit back and forth every 3 weeks 4-5 days at a time for a year and a half now... plus I have a 5 year old at home that I have full custody of... hello, where am I going?! lol!

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline

^^ Yes the DS 156 instructions come with Packet 4.

I visited at that stage and had no problems. Just as long as you have ties back to Canada you'll be fine. If you have never had any issues before, I doubt you'll encounter any now.

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

They actually requested that I complete the DS160 in my packet 3, along with the DS156K and the DS230's...

What number am I calling to speak with someone in Montreal to confirm receipt of my packet?

July09Bride... that is funny... you never know! Let me know if you hear from them and vice versa cause we are close :)

I spoke to medical office today, they got all my stuff from my Dr... I am to pick up my med package in a few days :)

My lawyer told me that at this stage, visiting may be difficult as they may give me issues at boarder. Anyone else have problems at this stage? Has anyone been turned away? I am so not a flight risk lol! we visit back and forth every 3 weeks 4-5 days at a time for a year and a half now... plus I have a 5 year old at home that I have full custody of... hello, where am I going?! lol!

Poprocks,

How do you cross the border... drive? That's what we do. When we cross here is the typical run-down of the BP conversation we have.

When He & I drive into the US together...

BP asks our citizenship.

We say US & Canadian.

BP asks about our relationship.

We say we're engaged.

BP asks about the wedding.

I respond (b/c I'm typically driving) that the wedding is in July and that we have a K-1 Visa in process. CUrrently, his paperwork is at the Consulate in Montreal, and we're awaiting his interview.

BP asks to see information regarding Visa on file.

I whip out the gargantuan binder I've been making of this whole process (this is the same binder for the interview) and take out the Consulate letter (most recent communication regarding his status).

BP asks what he does for a living.

He says he is self employed and designs websites for a living.l

BP asks if he's going to work while over here.

He explains that he's not working/can't work, b/c he doesn't have his computer.

BP hands the passports back and off we go.

I will admit, though... we have been taken into the "Secondary Questioning" area before. Quite unpleasant, as it is nerve-wracking beyond belief. That's when they search your vehicle and require you to complete the forms one would complete when flying into the United States from a foreign location. At one border crossing that we use, the officers know us, as it is small, and they're friendly. At the other border crossing we use (during the winter), it's pretty large and they're not quite so nice. They're the ones that stare you down and make you feel like a criminal when you haven't done anything at all. SCARY!!!

All-in-all... we keep the big binder with us to answer any questions they may have. I have heard the same thing... but we've been okkay so far. I do know, that once he has had his interview and is approved for the Visa, he can not enter the country unless he has the Vias in hand. Or else, he runs the risk of being turned away.

Hope my little story helps! On a "happier note" we will have to stay in touch... I've heard stories of where VJ'ers meet at the Consulate. :)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

GOOD NEWS!!! The visa finally came in the mail, they didn't even mail it till the 3rd! :blink: But it is indeed in hand and the plane ticket is bought and David is flying home tomorrow night!!!!! I'm so unbelievably happy that this part is over!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: WOO HOO!!!!! (L) (L) (L)

Amy & David

(USC & Canadian spouse)

Filed I-129..........March 21st 2008

NOA1................March 24th 2008

APPROVED!........July 29th 2008

NOA2................August 4th 2008

Packet 3 received.....August 26th 2008

Packet 3 sent....September 15th 2008

Medical.............September 29th 2008 (completion delayed by shot at Dr's taking 6 weeks to get, done Nov 7)

Interview...........February 25th 2009 (MUCH later than it should have been because of the medical)**VISA GRANTED!!**

VISA IN HAND!....March 3rd 2009

MOVE HOME!!!!...March 6th 2009

Wedding!...........March 20th 2009, civil ceremony ("real" wedding and party planned for March 20th, 2010)

Filed for AOS.....April 28th 2009

NOA1's for AOS, EAD and AP....May 8th 2009

Biometrics Appointment....May 27th 2009

*Touch on I-485 and I-765*...May 27th 2009

*Touch on I-485 and I-765*...May 28th 2009

AP and EAD approved!!!.........June 2nd 2009

*Touch on I-765*......June 8th 2009

AP hard copy............June 9th 2009

EAD card received.....June 11th 2009

AOS interview...........July 29th 2009

AOS approved!!!.......July 29th 2009

GC production ordered...July 29th 2009

GC received!!!!..............August 13th 2009 WOO HOOOOO done with USCIS till 2011!!!!!!!

Filed for Lifting of Conditions...May 6th 2011

event.png

Poprocks,

How do you cross the border... drive? That's what we do. When we cross here is the typical run-down of the BP conversation we have.

When He & I drive into the US together...

BP asks our citizenship.

We say US & Canadian.

BP asks about our relationship.

We say we're engaged.

BP asks about the wedding.

I respond (b/c I'm typically driving) that the wedding is in July and that we have a K-1 Visa in process. CUrrently, his paperwork is at the Consulate in Montreal, and we're awaiting his interview.

BP asks to see information regarding Visa on file.

I whip out the gargantuan binder I've been making of this whole process (this is the same binder for the interview) and take out the Consulate letter (most recent communication regarding his status).

BP asks what he does for a living.

He says he is self employed and designs websites for a living.l

BP asks if he's going to work while over here.

He explains that he's not working/can't work, b/c he doesn't have his computer.

BP hands the passports back and off we go.

I will admit, though... we have been taken into the "Secondary Questioning" area before. Quite unpleasant, as it is nerve-wracking beyond belief. That's when they search your vehicle and require you to complete the forms one would complete when flying into the United States from a foreign location. At one border crossing that we use, the officers know us, as it is small, and they're friendly. At the other border crossing we use (during the winter), it's pretty large and they're not quite so nice. They're the ones that stare you down and make you feel like a criminal when you haven't done anything at all. SCARY!!!

All-in-all... we keep the big binder with us to answer any questions they may have. I have heard the same thing... but we've been okkay so far. I do know, that once he has had his interview and is approved for the Visa, he can not enter the country unless he has the Vias in hand. Or else, he runs the risk of being turned away.

Hope my little story helps! On a "happier note" we will have to stay in touch... I've heard stories of where VJ'ers meet at the Consulate. :)

We've never driven across together. Most of the time, I just get asked, what the purpose of my trip is, I tell them to visit my fiance... they ask where he lives, and how long i'm staying...sometimes they ask what I do for a living and check my trunk, but other than 2-3 questions, I have never had to show anything. Once they asked about my ties, and I told him we applied for a K1 and he let me go.

I'm hoping it'll be easy when I go down in a couple of weeks. I will likely just bring a copy of my NOA2 approval and just tell them we are waiting on a interview date. My 'ties' is the baby seat in the back lol! Of course i'm coming back to my son... I will bring a copy of my custody agreement showing I have full custody. Hopefully that will be convincing enough :)

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline
For the couple of people that were asking about calling/checking on status... after you have a case number from the consulate, you can call the Department of State at 202 663 1225 ( press 1, 0, 4, 3, 0 ). IMO the people that take those calls have been the best part of this process! Super friendly and helpful and able to tell you whether your packet 3 is missing something or if it's ok and you're on the list for an interview. They gave me my interview date about a week before I got the letter even.

Thank you so much for your help - DOS was very helpful, I just got off the ph with them. Unfortunately I didn't receive the news I had wanted, and am still waiting for the interview date :(

Timeline

For all of you patient and tortured people waiting for a K1 interview in Montreal, I have to share the email that I rec'd today from the Consulate. I'm borderline hyperventilating with ANGER right now.

I emailed Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov to ask if my interview date had been set (my timeline is now over the 7 month mark in total and my patience was gone around month 3!!!)

FYI ~ all of my stuff was rec'd in Montreal on Feb 18th 2009...................

This was their response:

You are on the waiting list for an interview date. It could take 4-6 months

Op3

Edited by mb_2_az

Timeline

mine was... You are still in the waiting list for an interview date. it make take 3-4months. i sent back packet 3 jan. 20, 2009.

just called DOS and they said there is no interview schedule set on our case yet. i think montreal will finish all those people that will have their interviews this march and april.

Edited by francie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.