mannionsworld

EAD renewal and overlap

6 posts in this topic

What are the ramifications of working after your 1 year EAD has expired? I have not renewed mine yet and if I continue to work there will be some overlap. When it comes to renewing my EAD, will the USCIS know that I have been working after my EAD expired? Can they look at work activity through your SSN?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

Is there a reason why you're not renewing it? There's no real way to track "activity" through your SSN - it's not like a credit card. But if you can renew the EAD quickly and easily, why wait?

4.21.06 - Married!

5.2.06 - Mailed AOS and EAD to Chicago

5.4.06 - Application arrives in lockbox

5.9.06 - NOA 1 for AOS and EAD

5.11.06 - NOA 1 rec'd!

5.17.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

5.19.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

5.20.06 - Biometrics notice for AOS and EAD

5.30.06 - Biometrics!

6.1.06 - Touched (AOS)

6.3.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

6.26.06 - Interview notice!!! (Aug. 9 at 10 a.m.)

7.6.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.8.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.10.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.11.06 - EAD approval notice!!!

7.15.06 - EAD card rec'd!

8.9.06 - Interview - APPROVED!!!

sawavingflag.gifuswavingflag.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You may be asked at your interview if you worked without work authorization, and you would not want to lie.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Yeah, the reason I didnt' renew it is because I'm a teacher and I'm not working this summer. The end of the school year matches my EAD expiration. I am also expecting to get my green card soon as I had my interview over 8 months ago. I am going to apply for another EAD in case I dont' get the card in time. But given the waiting time, I am scared that I won't be able to work for the first 2 weeks of the school year.

Does the renewal take less time than getting the initial 1 year card?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline
Yeah, the reason I didnt' renew it is because I'm a teacher and I'm not working this summer. The end of the school year matches my EAD expiration. I am also expecting to get my green card soon as I had my interview over 8 months ago. I am going to apply for another EAD in case I dont' get the card in time. But given the waiting time, I am scared that I won't be able to work for the first 2 weeks of the school year.

Does the renewal take less time than getting the initial 1 year card?

I couldn't tell you that (my guess: probably not, though it makes sense that it would take less time), but I would advise you to apply for it anyway, as soon as you possibly can. It's only $180, right? And absolute worst case, you'll have your green card by the time it comes and you'll have thrown away $180. But if you can't work because you don't have EAD, you'll lose a lot more than that.

It's awful that you haven't gotten your green card after eight months. Did you get a stamp in your passport?

4.21.06 - Married!

5.2.06 - Mailed AOS and EAD to Chicago

5.4.06 - Application arrives in lockbox

5.9.06 - NOA 1 for AOS and EAD

5.11.06 - NOA 1 rec'd!

5.17.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

5.19.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

5.20.06 - Biometrics notice for AOS and EAD

5.30.06 - Biometrics!

6.1.06 - Touched (AOS)

6.3.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

6.26.06 - Interview notice!!! (Aug. 9 at 10 a.m.)

7.6.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.8.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.10.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.11.06 - EAD approval notice!!!

7.15.06 - EAD card rec'd!

8.9.06 - Interview - APPROVED!!!

sawavingflag.gifuswavingflag.gif

Filed: Timeline

kc,

The issue of working without employment authorization is not material to an adjustment case - whether the answer is 'yes' or 'no', it doesn't affect the decision. So, although lying about it would not be a material misrepresentation, it would not improve the interviewer's opinion of you.

Yodrak

You may be asked at your interview if you worked without work authorization, and you would not want to lie.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.