DoctorM

Help needed visiting my wife (green-card)

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

I work in in Canada as a Medical docotor (resident) for the past 7 months with a (work-permit). I have an appointment with the U.S Consulate here in Canada for a B1/B2 Visa.

I'm in contract with one of the hospitals here in Canada for 7 years, and I don't intend to immigrate to the U.S at this time, I only want a way to visit my wife in U.S every couple of months.

My wife is a Green card holder but she (hopefully) will become a U.S Citizen in few months.

We will file for I-130 / I-129F once she becomes a U.S Citizen.

My question is how likely I'll be issued a tourist visa based on my case? How likely I'll allowed to enter the U.S as a visior through a U.S border?

What's the best & fastest way that allows me to visit the U.S without any problems?

Thanks everyone.

Timeline :

USCIS Journey

MAY 21 09 : Application I-130 sent LPR

OCT 18 09: Spouse became USC

JAN 22 10: USCIS Online status showed I-130 APPROVED!!

NVC Journey:

JAN 28 10: Case received by NVC & number generated

MAR 31 10: SIGN-IN FAILED!

APR 14 10: Interview assigned

Medical APR 22 10 - DONE

Interview MAY 11 10

Visa Received MAY 25 10 - VISA RECEIVED - Alhamdulellah -

POE MAY 29 10 @ JFK

SSN JUN 15 10 (applied for replacement)

SSN received JUN 22 10 received! "unrestricted employment"

GC Received JUL 12 10 GC RECEIVED

US Citzenship MAR -- 13 xxxxxxx

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You should not have a problem getting the visa as long as you can provide solid evidence that you will return to Canada, letter form employer, bank-accounts, apartment lease, etc..

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/u...sa.asp#pleasure

Since wife is a GC holder, there is NO way you can adjust status, so this reduces the "immigrant intent" risk.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

If you do not intend to immigrate, you should not apply for an immigrant visa. A permanent resident card is not a visit-whenever-you-want visa--it is for those who have immigrated and are living in the U.S. Using it for the purpose of avoiding normal visa/visit restrictions while your domicile is outside the US is fraud.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

If you do not intend to immigrate, you should not apply for an immigrant visa. A permanent resident card is not a visit-whenever-you-want visa--it is for those who have immigrated and are living in the U.S. Using it for the purpose of avoiding normal visa/visit restrictions while your domicile is outside the US is fraud.

I didn't understand what you mean,

I'm not applying for B2 to enter and stay in the U.S, I have enough reasons to return back to Canada.

Moreover, I'm not currently applying to an immigrant visa, Yes in the future when my wife becomes a U.S Citizen I'll apply for G.C which makes my life easier going back and forth to U.S & Canada.

Is the 7-month period I've been working in Canada + my current employer contract (7-years) + apartment lease are considered strong ties to return to Canada, and will qualify me for a tourist visa?

Thanks,

Timeline :

USCIS Journey

NVC Journey:

Medical APR 22 10 - DONE

Interview MAY 11 10

POE MAY 29 10 @ JFK

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm not applying for B2 to enter and stay in the U.S, I have enough reasons to return back to Canada.

Moreover, I'm not currently applying to an immigrant visa, Yes in the future when my wife becomes a U.S Citizen I'll apply for G.C which makes my life easier going back and forth to U.S & Canada.

Is the 7-month period I've been working in Canada + my current employer contract (7-years) + apartment lease are considered strong ties to return to Canada, and will qualify me for a tourist visa?

Thanks,

I think what was being said is. If you apply for a greencard as soon as your wife becomes a citizen you will need to live in the US full time to be classed as a resident. so you would be better to not apply for a greencard when your wife becomes a citizen until you have finished working in Canada.

Another thing to think about is that if your wife becomes a citizen then you may find it very hard to enter the US on your B1/B2 visa as immigrant intent will then be a red flag at POE, if she remains a Greencard holder until say a year before you finish your work in canada then you should not raise too many red flags as long as you dont visit to often.

Thanks,

I think what was being said is. If you apply for a greencard as soon as your wife becomes a citizen you will need to live in the US full time to be classed as a resident. so you would be better to not apply for a greencard when your wife becomes a citizen until you have finished working in Canada.

Another thing to think about is that if your wife becomes a citizen then you may find it very hard to enter the US on your B1/B2 visa as immigrant intent will then be a red flag at POE, if she remains a Greencard holder until say a year before you finish your work in canada then you should not raise too many red flags as long as you dont visit to often.

Then how can I visit my while she's in the U.S ? I don't think its practical to wait until I finish my work in Canada -after 7 years- ,, isn't there a legal way that let's me visit the U.S?

Timeline :

USCIS Journey

NVC Journey:

Medical APR 22 10 - DONE

Interview MAY 11 10

POE MAY 29 10 @ JFK

Timeline

Thanks,

Then how can I visit my while she's in the U.S ? I don't think its practical to wait until I finish my work in Canada -after 7 years- ,, isn't there a legal way that let's me visit the U.S?

The other option is for her to become a USC and then move to canada to be with you until you are ready to immigrate to the US.

Other than that you will need to show very strong ties to the CBP to be allowed to visit and then you will always run the risk of being denied entry. They will see your wife as being a stronger tie than what you may have in canada.

Thanks,

The other option is for her to become a USC and then move to canada to be with you until you are ready to immigrate to the US.

Other than that you will need to show very strong ties to the CBP to be allowed to visit and then you will always run the risk of being denied entry. They will see your wife as being a stronger tie than what you may have in canada.

As far as I know I'm elligible for a GC if my wife is a U.S Citizen,, to maintain my GC status I have to travel frequently to the U.S,, isn't this right?

What about K-3 visa? isn't this a multiple-entry visa that allows me to travel to the U.S without any problems?

Thanks,

Timeline :

USCIS Journey

NVC Journey:

Medical APR 22 10 - DONE

Interview MAY 11 10

POE MAY 29 10 @ JFK

As far as I know I'm elligible for a GC if my wife is a U.S Citizen,, to maintain my GC status I have to travel frequently to the U.S,, isn't this right?

It's not that simple. GC status = resident status. To maintain your resident status you have to do more than visit the US frequently. Your domicile must be in the U.S., you have to pay US taxes as a US resident. You have to live in the U.S.--absences of any amount of time can be determined to have abandoned your residency, especially if you have a domicile and job outside the U.S.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

11/09/2005 Medical

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/17/2005 Wedding

02/09/2006 NOA

07/24/2006 GC arrived

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It's not that simple. GC status = resident status. To maintain your resident status you have to do more than visit the US frequently. Your domicile must be in the U.S., you have to pay US taxes as a US resident. You have to live in the U.S.--absences of any amount of time can be determined to have abandoned your residency, especially if you have a domicile and job outside the U.S.

Yep, :thumbs:

Maintaining Permanent Residence You may lose your permanent residence status if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law in section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you commit such an act, you may be brought before the immigration courts to determine your right to remain a Permanent Resident.

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

• Move to another country intending to live there permanently. (Living in Canada)

• Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

• Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

• Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the US for any period.

• Declare yourself a "nonimmigrant" on your tax returns.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Yep, :thumbs:

Maintaining Permanent Residence You may lose your permanent residence status if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law in section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you commit such an act, you may be brought before the immigration courts to determine your right to remain a Permanent Resident.

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

• Move to another country intending to live there permanently. (Living in Canada)

• Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

• Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

• Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the US for any period.

• Declare yourself a "nonimmigrant" on your tax returns.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

And, if they determine that you willingly misrepresented information about your intention to live in the U.S. just to get the GC, you can face a lifetime ban from ever entering the US again.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

11/09/2005 Medical

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/17/2005 Wedding

02/09/2006 NOA

07/24/2006 GC arrived

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

Is holding a temporary-resident visa in another country (work-permit) like myself means that I ::::

Move to another country intending to live there permanently.

Who ever mentioned that I intend to live permanently in Canada? :blush:

Timeline :

USCIS Journey

NVC Journey:

Medical APR 22 10 - DONE

Interview MAY 11 10

POE MAY 29 10 @ JFK

Timeline

USCIS look on permanently as anything over 12 months. So no you cant get a greencard then just pop back now and again to keep it active. from the time you apply you have to prove to USCIS that you are resident within the USA and that you are paying tax as a resident and you and your wife have intermingled finances.

Sounds like you need to rethink your options.

Is holding a temporary-resident visa in another country (work-permit) like myself means that I ::::

Move to another country intending to live there permanently.

Who ever mentioned that I intend to live permanently in Canada? :blush:

I don't intend to immigrate to the U.S at this time, I only want a way to visit my wife in U.S every couple of months.

You cannot be a temporary resident in Canada and a permanent resident in the US at the same time.

Rationalize all you like, but applying for an immigrant visa and/or permanent residence in the US (GC) as a way to easily visit the US every couple of months while you actually live and work in Canada is fraud.

If you want to visit, you have to use the available avenues for temporary visits. When and if the time comes that you want to reside in the US, then you should seek permanent residence (GC).

Edited by john_and_marlene

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

11/09/2005 Medical

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/17/2005 Wedding

02/09/2006 NOA

07/24/2006 GC arrived

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.