CDAgirlMI

Can I drive my boyfriend's car?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

There's a story behind this, but I'll just get to the point and ask:

If my boyfriend/I bought a car in the states, and have ownership in his name + insured under his insurance company, can I drive it back and forth, with me still living in Canada? Basically, the car "lives" with me. My insurance company will not insure it unless it's registered in Ontario...

I know that might be a dumb question, but I wanted to ask anyways.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline
Hi,

There's a story behind this, but I'll just get to the point and ask:

If my boyfriend/I bought a car in the states, and have ownership in his name + insured under his insurance company, can I drive it back and forth, with me still living in Canada? Basically, the car "lives" with me. My insurance company will not insure it unless it's registered in Ontario...

I know that might be a dumb question, but I wanted to ask anyways.

His insurance company might take issue with this situation. You'd have to check that with them.

The Canadian Government likely will take issue with it. There have been cases where Canadian residents have had the car impounded when they have been innocently driving a US registered vehicle belonging to a friend or relative. Revenue Canada, or whatever name they are using these days, expects you to pay import duties on vehicles imported. Even though your plan is (I assume) to eventually emigrate to the US, you are currently a CAN resident and cannot even drive a vehicle with US plates legally.

I had to return to Canada for an emergency and was driving a US registered vehicle (I was without status - only AP through AOS) and researched this extensively online. Even then, I was concerned that I might be stopped at the border and expected to pay taxes on the vehicle, or would have to get someone to pick me up on the other side. At least I was actually residing in the US when I did it, so they let me go through.

Some of the times I have crossed, there have been raised eyebrows, but I always state my residence which is in the US, so that seems to make it okay with the CBP officers.

IOW it probably isn't a good idea as you could lose the car.

Timeline

Thanks for the responses guys.

I figured the answer was "no"...but I wanted to be sure.

I'm in the market for a new car, so I'm exploring my options.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A friend of mine (Canadian) bought and insured his car in the USA while he was there for school. I drove back with him to Ontario the first time he crossed the boarder and the guard was not happy; he let us through since he felt sorry for us having driven hours already, but said we would not be allowed across the next time. They are strict about this policy!

2004-09-03 : Met at college in USA and went on first date!

2008-01-02 : Married in Canada.

2008-01-07 : DH returns to USA.

2008-04-20 : Finally received marriage certificate from the province and filed 1-130 Petition.

2008-07-08 : I-130 Approved!

2008-09-15 : Received DS-230 and I-864.

2008-10-14: Mailed DS-230 and I-864

2008-10-30: DS-230 and I-864 received by NVC

2008-11-04: RFE

2008-11-18: Overnighted missing documents to NVC

2008-11-26: Case Complete at NVC!!

2008-03-02: Medical in Toronto

2009-03-23: Interview! Approved!

2009-04-04: The big move. POE: Blue Water Bridge. All went well.

2009-04-16: SSN arrives in the mail.

2009-04-24: PR card arrives in the mail.

Here is the definitive answer from a Canadian border officer:

Canadians cannot drive US vehicles in Canada

Speaking of Neiks..... I haven't seen her in a while. I hope she's doing well.

Hi Krikit! I am still around lurking occasionally. I decided to take a break from the board for awhile - I"m expecting our second baby and have been somewhat hormonal and was not taking the negative border officer bashing that was happening here very well. But thanks for thinking off me.

As for the post. Krikit gave you the absolute correct answer link. So simple answer is no you can not drive your american car back and forth into Canada as long as you are still considered a Canadian resident. Once you get your US status then yes, you can drive the car into Canada.

Filed: Timeline
Here is the definitive answer from a Canadian border officer:

Canadians cannot drive US vehicles in Canada

Speaking of Neiks..... I haven't seen her in a while. I hope she's doing well.

Hi Krikit! I am still around lurking occasionally. I decided to take a break from the board for awhile - I"m expecting our second baby and have been somewhat hormonal and was not taking the negative border officer bashing that was happening here very well. But thanks for thinking off me.

As for the post. Krikit gave you the absolute correct answer link. So simple answer is no you can not drive your american car back and forth into Canada as long as you are still considered a Canadian resident. Once you get your US status then yes, you can drive the car into Canada.

Neiks! You're back! And you're expecting your second baby! post-21394-1224337119.gif Congratulations!!! (F)

I know what you mean about that hormonal thing and taking a break. But, seriously..... you should do like all the crazy people here do and take it out on the main OT board! :dance: But that would be pretty un-Canadian-like behaviour, though. lol

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.