jedinite

Nexus with CR-1

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with the Nexus pass with a US Permanent Resident Visa like the CR-1?

I am in the final phase of the visa process and I am working contract in Canada, once I get my interview date I will be applying for jobs in the US but I don't know what the outcome is going to be this close to the end of the year since it's usually a slow season for hiring. I expect that I'll receive my visa by Dec time-frame, which is perhaps the worst hiring season for professionals as it's right after US Thanksgiving and before the Christmas Holidays. Usually Jan is pretty slow too since people are getting back to work and no one does any serious consideration until Feb.

Anyways, I plan on working in Canada and returning to the US every weekend, and I was wondering if I should apply for a Nexus pass or if this will complicate matters with my CR-1. I know the first 2 years are conditional and that I should try to establish work in the US as soon as possible, but realistically this means I will probably getting a job State-side in the spring (Q4 is always bad for hiring). I don't live/work in a border city so it's impossible for me to drive across the border to my US home every night, and I'm not rich so I can't fly to and from work/home everyday either. The best I can do is fly back on the weekends.

I posted a question similar to this before but I didn't ask about Nexus pass so if anyone has any insight on this matter that would be great. Best if luck to you all if you're waiting on your visa too.

History

12/2000 Met Online

02/14/2001 Started dating

04/20/2001 Met in person

03/2002 Moved in together in the US

2002 - 2007 working in US on TN-1 Visa

05/2005 Registered as Common-law

06/2005 Proposed and Engaged

08/30/2007 - Married

I-130 (156 Days)

02/20/2008 I-130 Filed

03/10/2008 NOA1 - CSC confirmation sent

03/12/2008 date on online tracking - Touched

08/11/2008 - NOA2 - I-130 APPROVED!!! USCIS page updated. (156 Days)

NVC

08/14/2008 - NVC received my application and has assigned me a case number. Waiting for Beneficiary letter.

08/15/2008 - e-mailed the NVC for choice of Agent DS-3032, not sure if I was suppose to do this before actually getting paperwork sent to me.

08/25/2008 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 Generated

08/30/2008 - Letter Recieved

09/02/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Paid and DS-3032 Choice of Agent e-mail sent

09/03/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Recorded as Paid

09/10/2008 - NVC sends DS-3203 Receipt Confirmation

09/10/2008 - IV Fee Bill Available and Paid

09/11/2008 - IV Fee Bill Processed - PAID, Coversheet Generated

09/11/2008 - Following directions on James' Shortcuts for creating DS-230 Package

09/18/2008 - Sent in I-864 and DS-230 (FedEx Overnight)

09/29/2008 - NVC Case Completed!

09/??/???? - Packet never received (sent in with James' Shortcuts as soon as bill was paid)

12/03/2008 - Interview - APPROVED!

12/04/2008 - Visa Received

Timeline

I had my Nexus card before I started my CR1 process and used it during the process. When I got my CR1 visa, I went to the Nexus office and updated my information there. I now used it every day coming home from work in Canada. (about once a week the border patrol guy asks me my status and wants to see my PR card). I love my Nexus card!

I work in Canada, live in the US. I use my Nexus pass to cross into Canada, usually stay with my parents for a few nights while I am working, and then drive home for the weekend. I applied for the Nexus card after my CR-1 was activated and my PR card had arrived. (I thought it would be easier this way, but I have no basis for thinking that.) The only thing they told me was that when my conditions are removed, I must go to the Nexus office and show them my 10 year greencard. Most of the time crossing is seamless, but sometimes I get asked about my status. Good luck with your visa and Nexus application.

Timeline
I work in Canada, live in the US. I use my Nexus pass to cross into Canada, usually stay with my parents for a few nights while I am working, and then drive home for the weekend. I applied for the Nexus card after my CR-1 was activated and my PR card had arrived. (I thought it would be easier this way, but I have no basis for thinking that.) The only thing they told me was that when my conditions are removed, I must go to the Nexus office and show them my 10 year greencard. Most of the time crossing is seamless, but sometimes I get asked about my status. Good luck with your visa and Nexus application.

What do you reply when you get asked about your status. Since I'm a contractor I don't know if working in Canada but being a declared US PR will cause me any issues. I had to incorporate for my current job and though I don't mind traveling back and forth on the weekends I just don't want to run into any problems before my conditions are removed from my conditional PR card.

Could you provide any insights as it seems like you have the closest situation to my own. I will be living with my wife in Los Angeles but commuting to Calgary for work during the week. I'll stay at my parents while working up here, and travel back on the weekends.

What do I tell Canadian Customs when I enter Canada and what do I tell US Customs when returning to the US? I don't expect my work situation to be permanent, only for as long as it takes me to find an equivalent position in the US. I'm afraid to ask the customs people or the embassy during my interview because I don't want them to not issue me a visa or revoke entry. Since, I'm the "bread-winner" of the family, it's quite important that I am able to earn income, my wife's income is more supplemental more than anything else. Thanks for the input.

History

12/2000 Met Online

04/20/2001 Met in person

08/30/2007 - Married

I-130 (156 Days)

02/20/2008 I-130 Filed

NVC

08/14/2008 - NVC received my application and has assigned me a case number. Waiting for Beneficiary letter.

08/15/2008 - e-mailed the NVC for choice of Agent DS-3032, not sure if I was suppose to do this before actually getting paperwork sent to me.

09/11/2008 - Following directions on James' Shortcuts for creating DS-230 Package

09/??/???? - Packet never received (sent in with James' Shortcuts as soon as bill was paid)

Timeline

There are a few VJ members that even after the visa process (cr-1/ir-1) still work in Canada, one is even a Cdn border agent,lol But I belive they return to Canada the majority of the time. I would think if you spent the majority of time in Canada,that would lead to problems. I know for the naturalization paperwork, you have to jot down all days (24 hr or more) that u were outside of the USA

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
There are a few VJ members that even after the visa process (cr-1/ir-1) still work in Canada, one is even a Cdn border agent,lol But I belive they return to Canada the majority of the time. I would think if you spent the majority of time in Canada,that would lead to problems. I know for the naturalization paperwork, you have to jot down all days (24 hr or more) that u were outside of the USA

So say for the first 3 months I was outside of the US 80% of the time, but after that I was in the US 95% of the time. Would that greatly affect my being able to remove the conditions after 2 years?

History

12/2000 Met Online

04/20/2001 Met in person

08/30/2007 - Married

I-130 (156 Days)

02/20/2008 I-130 Filed

NVC

I agree with Flames9 that you could run into some problems with the US for being out the US for so long. I usually stay 3 days or less in Canada. My parents in Canada live only 40 minutes from my residence in the US. Calgary to LA is a much longer distance and they may have a problem believing that you actually live in LA. The US border officials have never given me a hard time about working in Canada. When they ask about my status, I tell them I am a Permanent Resident. The Canadians are very easy to deal with. I just tell them I live in the US, work in Canada. I am sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I would think that since this is temporary and you also say it is temporary perhaps they will have much less of an issue.

Also having a business in the US rather than Canada can also only help.

Sly

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I had my Nexus card before I started my CR1 process and used it during the process. When I got my CR1 visa, I went to the Nexus office and updated my information there. I now used it every day coming home from work in Canada. (about once a week the border patrol guy asks me my status and wants to see my PR card). I love my Nexus card!

I'm very new on this site (1st post... woohooo!) :)

I'm looking for the answer about the NEXUS pass in conjunction with a pending I-130.

I have a Nexus pass now and I'm getting married this December '08 (I'm in Vancouver and fiance in Washington). We plan to send in the I-130 application in January '09. I thought that I'm not allowed to go into the US during the I-130 process? But it sounds like LindaB, you went in and out of the US without a problem with your nexus pass.

My question is... is that legal? Did you manage to do that because they didn't catch on, or is that really allowed?

I just don't want to try this and then find out later that by doing so I'm abandoning my application and have to start all over again.

Advice please, anyone?

I'm looking for the answer about the NEXUS pass in conjunction with a pending I-130.

I have a Nexus pass now and I'm getting married this December '08 (I'm in Vancouver and fiance in Washington). We plan to send in the I-130 application in January '09. I thought that I'm not allowed to go into the US during the I-130 process? But it sounds like LindaB, you went in and out of the US without a problem with your nexus pass.

My question is... is that legal? Did you manage to do that because they didn't catch on, or is that really allowed?

I just don't want to try this and then find out later that by doing so I'm abandoning my application and have to start all over again.

Advice please, anyone?

There is nothing illegal about visiting during the process. Just bring proof of your ties to Canada.

Sly

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

Timeline

Advice please, anyone?

many Cdns visit while the process is ongoing. Majority don't have any problems, but some do get denied entry. My free advice:

3)keep ur response short and to the point, dont tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5)pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isnt going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didnt lie! Refer to #1

Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.