7 posts in this topic

Any idea how I can get my K2 son his social security card for this tax season? His 1-94 expired Jan 24 and we are still waiting for his AOS interview along with my wife's. :huh:

Thanks

Howard and Aoy

How old is he? Is he working? If not, you don't need a SSN for him to file your taxes. They wouldn't issue my wife's 9 year-old daughter a card because she was too young and didn't have a valid reason to have one yet.

I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence:

04-08-2008 Sent I-751 Joint petition for wife and stepchild

04-25-2008 Received NOA for wife stating residence extended 1 year while petition is processed

05-08-2008 Received NOA for stepdaughter stating residence extended 1 year while petition is processed.

05-08-2008 Received ASC appointment letter for wife. Biometrics scheduled for 05/16.

05-09-2008 Received ASC appointment letter for stepdaughter. Biometrics scheduled for 05/20.

05-16-2008 Biometrics for wife completed.

05-17-2008 Biometrics for stepdaughter completed.

03-19-2009 Received 10-year green card

N-400 Application for Naturalization Timeline:

02-17-2009 Sent N-400 Application for Naturalization for Wife

02-19-2009 Package received by USCIS

02-24-2009 Check cashed by USCIS

02-28-2009 NOA receipt received for N-400 payment

03-09-2009 NOA received for Biometrics appointment on 03-20

03-20-2009 Biometrics completed

04-20-2009 NOA received for Naturalization interview on 05-28

05-28-2009 Successful Naturalization interview

Filed: Timeline

You either spring for the EAD card or wait until the AOS is approved and the child is issued an I-551 stamp or card.

In the meantime, it would be best to applied for an ITIN from the IRS by submitting a form W-7 with you tax forms. If the child is issued an ITIN, you should contact IRS once the child is assigned an SSN.

You can download a form W-7 from the IRS Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/index.html

You can contact the IRS ITIN office by calling 1-215-516-4846.

You can find additional information on the IRS Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

Edited by mdyoung

My son is 11 years old now. It was odd to see the lady at the Social Security office show me on her monitor the requirement for all K2's to have a EAD before getting their SS #. What number do I write on my taxes? The previous I-94 number? Please forgive me if this is partially off topic. Just want to keep everything legal and in order.

Also, I took my wife to get her Georgia state ID card last week but they refused to give her one as she doesnt have a green card yet but does have her SS. We even showed them the NOA for the AOS request.

:wacko:

Oh well, I guess they were attempting to err on the side of caution.

Howard and Aoy

-----------------------------------------

How old is he? Is he working? If not, you don't need a SSN for him to file your taxes. They wouldn't issue my wife's 9 year-old daughter a card because she was too young and didn't have a valid reason to have one yet.

GREAT! Thanks! I didnt scroll down far enough before I posted my last reply.

:thumbs:

Howard and Aoy

You either spring for the EAD card or wait until the AOS is approved and the child is issued an I-551 stamp or card.

In the meantime, it would be best to applied for an ITIN from the IRS by submitting a form W-7 with you tax forms. If the child is issued an ITIN, you should contact IRS once the child is assigned an SSN.

You can download a form W-7 from the IRS Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/index.html

You can contact the IRS ITIN office by calling 1-215-516-4846.

You can find additional information on the IRS Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

MD, when I was applying for my SSN, I asked the gentleman if it was possible to apply for a number for my daughter, even though all I had was NOA. He said if USCIS (I had just come from their office) had placed this particular stamp in her passport (not the I-155), SSA would have been able to issue a number to her. Is there any truth to that? I know OP would benefit from your answer, as well. Thanks.

*Karen -- Jamaica ....... Courtney -- New Jersey*

09-12-05 - AOS filed

04-21-06 - AOS Interview

04-27-06 - Approval

05-17-06 - Green Card in hand

02-11-08 - File to remove conditions

03-15-08 - Biometrics

03-18-09 - Approved - No interview (Card production ordered)

03-24-09 - 10-year card arrives!

adaf8672.gif

JimminiCricket.jpg

Filed: Timeline
MD, when I was applying for my SSN, I asked the gentleman if it was possible to apply for a number for my daughter, even though all I had was NOA. He said if USCIS (I had just come from their office) had placed this particular stamp in her passport (not the I-155), SSA would have been able to issue a number to her. Is there any truth to that?

I'm only taking a guess here, but I assume he was talking about the work authorization stamp that K-1s get at some airports. Even if they would screw up and give one to a K-2, it would still need to be verified. I can't see a K-2 verifing through SAVE and I assume with the G-845 they would realize it was a mistake and that would come back not work authorized.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My son could not get a SSN until he receives his EAD card.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.