Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Tips on filing I-131 for Re-entry Permit

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys,

I am a regular over at immigrate2us.net. My husband just got approved for his CR1!!!

But now I have a new problem! I am a graduate student in anthropology and I have to do one year of fieldwork in Peru and South Korea. My lawyer said that my husband needs an I-131 re-entry permit for stays outside of the US for longer than 6 months. But that even with that document, he won't be guaranteed to be let back into the US!!!

So here are my questions:

1. Has anyone had problems with this document? Were they not let in after a stay out of the US?

2. Should I get my lawyer to help me with this form, or should I do it on my own? I have tons of evidence as to why I need to be out of the country for a year. My husband will be there with me just hanging out, not working.

3. Will he need to do biometrics for this permit to be approved? We are going to Peru Oct 1 to December 11. Then Korea from December 29, 2008 to December 2009. Do the biometrics need to be done inside the US? Can he leave before the application is approved? Or can he do them abroad?

4. My other idea was if it was so stressful to do this travel document, then we might as well have him stay here in the US while I do my fieldwork. But my lawyer said 'no way!!' on that idea because we would have problems when it came to removing the conditions on the greencard. Proving the validity of marriage.

What do you guys think? I am pretty stressed out!! haha

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.