ScottBadet

Can Marry while waiting for K1 Visa

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hey guy ! you have to marry in States because you apply for K-1 visa right now. BUT you can marry with your fiance in Phillipins likes a wedding party for her family but dont need to make it all with marry document in Phillippins.. Good luck to both of YOU :):) Edited by parissara

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Continue the K1 process, it will take longer if you change plan. If you really wanted to have a wedding in P.I have it on your 2nd wedding. And dont ever try mixing K1 and K3 application, that will cost you trouble in the end. USCIS and US Embassy are very sensitive with documents. Just keep it fast and simple by using the K1.

Good Luck ... :)

Well, you're already 2-3 months into the K1 process, which is about half way. I don't think it would be wise, unless there's some greatly compelling reason to scrap it all and marry overseas, especially when the K3 process generally takes longer. Just marry here. If you were like, one month or less into the process, I'd have said scrap it, but then again it's your choice. If you can go the wait with no problem, go for the K3. Most of us wouldn't want to though, I imagine.

Yes, I agree. Will just switch plans back to the original way we was going to do. Only reason we thought about getting married in Philippines is because here I have very small family, and of course my fiance back in Philippines has very large family, so we thought it would be nicer and funner getting married in Philippines. But we will definitly go back to plans of marry here in US. Thank You all.

HubbyWife.jpg

Our Timeline:

Feb 19 2008 - sent I - 129 F application (California Service Center) K1 Application

Feb 22 2008 - CSC returned application re: check lost ( actually when he changed new envelope, the check was left in the old envelope :P)

Feb 23 2008 - re sent I 129 application

March 6 2008 - NOA1 by Postal Mail

July 23 2008 - Touched and Petition Approved / sent to NVC

Aug 19 & 20 - Medical Tests @ St Lukes Extension Clinic - PASSED!!!

Aug 26 - Visa Interview ..... PINK SLIP oh GOD thank you so much!

Sept 2 - VISA Packet Delivered !!!

Sept 26 - Cebu - Manila - (POE) San Francisco - St Paul/ Minneapolis, Minnesota

Nov 15 - Our Wedding Day!

-------------

AOS ...

We had the same feelings, so we will be having a non-legal religious ceremony in the UK with all my friends and family, white dress etc, but without any legal binding or registration, then travel with K1 visa to complete the marriage by way of the legal ceremony (which we're doing quietly) in the US. Isn't is the saddest thing that beauracy means making so many sacrifices...hey-ho at least we'll be with our loved ones eventually and forever :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.