hubbardt

i-130 success ... what now ?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

I recently went through a Direct Consular Filing in the UK for an i130 visa for my wife.

The i-130 has been aproved and I'm writing this email from our new home in the USA :thumbs:

I'm a little confused on a couple of issues and would appreciate any help. Thanks.

- My wife has been sent a Social Security card through the post. Is this the "Green Card" I hear mentioned everywhere ?

- I have read about a 'Permanent Resident Card' (click me !).

Is this something she needs to apply for or will she be sent it ?

- What next ? Is there anything we need to be aware of doing next or can we just get on with living in the USA ?

- We would like to bring my wife's parents to the USA but will she need to first become a US citizen before she can sponsor them or can I sponsor them ?

I am a US citizen (dad was American)

- My wife and I had been married for 10 years before applying for the i-130 visa so I assume she does not have a conditional residence status.

as far as I can tell conditional residence is applied if you were married 2 years or less when applying for the Visa

I know these topics are a bit random but I wrote tham down as they came to me. Thanks for your help.

hubbardt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi,

I recently went through a Direct Consular Filing in the UK for an i130 visa for my wife.

The i-130 has been aproved and I'm writing this email from our new home in the USA :thumbs:

I'm a little confused on a couple of issues and would appreciate any help. Thanks.

- My wife has been sent a Social Security card through the post. Is this the "Green Card" I hear mentioned everywhere ?

- I have read about a 'Permanent Resident Card' (click me !).

Is this something she needs to apply for or will she be sent it ?

- What next ? Is there anything we need to be aware of doing next or can we just get on with living in the USA ?

- We would like to bring my wife's parents to the USA but will she need to first become a US citizen before she can sponsor them or can I sponsor them ?

I am a US citizen (dad was American)

- My wife and I had been married for 10 years before applying for the i-130 visa so I assume she does not have a conditional residence status.

as far as I can tell conditional residence is applied if you were married 2 years or less when applying for the Visa

I know these topics are a bit random but I wrote tham down as they came to me. Thanks for your help.

hubbardt

Social Security card is just that, its not the green card. that will probably come later. seems like people get it about a month after entering. When you get it, make sure its valid for 10 years since you won't have to remove conditions. She can become a citizen after three years of being in the US as long as you guys are still married. After she naturalizes, she can petition her parents.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.