Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Connecticut Dave

AOS - Name Changes and SSN

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I've found a few posts on these topics but I just wanted to make sure and ask what I need to do in my case. I have a SSN that I got when I worked in the US for a year, which has the DHS authorization stamp on it. So the way I understood this, is that I

- need to file for the AOS

- wait for the EAD to arrive

- go to the SSN office and have the DHS authorization stamp removed and my new name added

My temporary EAD from the POE on my K-1 will expire by November (we got married in August). Can I use the SSN from the last time I worked here in my applications during that time (I'm planning on doing temp work)? I think I can, right, because the SSN does not change? Now, I saw a couple of posts that said that I need to put the last name combination I want on the AOS forms - is that correct? I only came across this in postings and not in the guides, so I want to make sure. Is this the "Name Change" or do I need to file an extra document at some point?

Thanks for the help!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.