Lucie12345

Finding a Job: Help in Portland OR

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello!

My husband is waiting on his work authorization, but in the meantime, he's been trying to search for job possibilities and start the application process. He hasn't had much luck so far, and because everyone is always so helpful and wonderful on here, I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions or advice.

He's been trying things like craigslist and just going to employers websites but I was wondering if people had other advice for finding good jobs.

He has a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and lots of experience with sports, specifically soccer. He's interested in doing something sports related, possibly something with sports marketing, and also has an interest in working with the environment.

Anyone have any wonderful ideas??

Thanks so much for your help, we really appreciate it!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

The usual suspects are;

http://www.monster.com/

http://www.careerbuilder.com/

http://www.jobbankinfo.org/

http://www.alljobsearch.com/

There's plenty more out there and Google should find them all for you. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Well having spent since the start of 2007 looking for a decent paying job in Portland I have had no luck at all.

Plenty of $8 or $9 an hour jobs pumping gas and work of that standard where the ability to speak English is an advantage, but what I would call interesting jobs none. Now I appreciate in my field a lot of the jobs are Federal which rule me out but where I have applied to county administrations I have not be given an interview. To be honest I am not even bothering to look anymore I can live on my occupational pension from the UK.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Temp agencies are good to get your feet in the door. Call centers/collections are always hiring in this area and you can make ok money if your any good ($40,000). For non profit work in Portland email this address cnrgmoderator@cnrg-portland.org and ask to subscribe to the CNRG digest which lists nonprofit jobs and internships. Non-profit work in Portland pays pennies, TBH. I had to go into environmental consulting to make any money...but I don't really like what I'm doing. Good luck!

Boly Welch and Aerotek are temp agencies I recommend.

Edited by onwa

February 17, 2005--mailed in I 129F to CSC!

February 24, 2005--1st NOA

March 15, 2005--2nd NOA

April 11, 2005--Fiance receives Packet 3

May 19, 2005 Fax Checklist(Nigeria police report finally arrives)

June 6, 2005-- Interview Date!!!!Visa approved!!

June 18, 2005--Fiancee arrives in Hawaii!

August 14, 2005--wedding in Oregon

September 12, 2005--sent in AOS

September 20, 2005--1st NOA AOS

September 23, 2005--Walk-in biometrics completed

October 1, 2005--fingerprints received/processing resumed

November 26, 2005--EAD card received in mail

June 7, 2006--contact senators about AOS

June 28, 2006--senator says interview date is for August 14!!

August 14, 2006--AOS interview and 1 year wedding anniversary

Temp agencies are good to get your feet in the door. Call centers/collections are always hiring in this area and you can make ok money if your any good ($40,000). For non profit work in Portland email this address cnrgmoderator@cnrg-portland.org and ask to subscribe to the CNRG digest which lists nonprofit jobs and internships. Non-profit work in Portland pays pennies, TBH. I had to go into environmental consulting to make any money...but I don't really like what I'm doing. Good luck!

Boly Welch and Aerotek are temp agencies I recommend.

http://cnrg-portland.org/ The unofficial official website for Portland nonprofits.

February 17, 2005--mailed in I 129F to CSC!

February 24, 2005--1st NOA

March 15, 2005--2nd NOA

April 11, 2005--Fiance receives Packet 3

May 19, 2005 Fax Checklist(Nigeria police report finally arrives)

June 6, 2005-- Interview Date!!!!Visa approved!!

June 18, 2005--Fiancee arrives in Hawaii!

August 14, 2005--wedding in Oregon

September 12, 2005--sent in AOS

September 20, 2005--1st NOA AOS

September 23, 2005--Walk-in biometrics completed

October 1, 2005--fingerprints received/processing resumed

November 26, 2005--EAD card received in mail

June 7, 2006--contact senators about AOS

June 28, 2006--senator says interview date is for August 14!!

August 14, 2006--AOS interview and 1 year wedding anniversary

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.