lissa04

Arrest Question

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

I was arrested twice when I was younger, I have no criminal record. Unfortunately I did have to spend 3 days in jail.(Over the weekend) My concern is that this December I become eligible to apply for citizenship. I was wondering should I even bother? I am concerned that I may be denied, even though I have no criminal record. Can anyone give me some insight? Also has anyone applied with an arrest record, and what was your outcome?

Thanks,

Lissa

N-400

10/26/09 Sent application to Lewisville TX.

10/27/09 Rec'd Application signed by B. Conteh

10/29/09 Check cashed

11/02/09 Rec'd NOA date showing 10/29/09

11/09/09 Rec'd letter Bio Appointment

11/17/09 Bio Appointment 8am

11/20/09 Called FBI-Prints were sent back to USCIS same day.

12/03/09 Rec'd email from USCIS that the RFE was a mistake.

12/04/09 Rec'd email from USCIS saying that I have been transferred for an interview.

12/07/09 Rec'd letter for interview on 1/11/10 @11am in Fairfax, VA.

01/11/10 Interview completed. Passed test decision can't be made.

03/02/10 Contacted Senator's office...No reply yet!

03/04/10 Senator office called says can take up to 120 days.

04/12/10 Service request filed.

05/12/10 Contacted Senator's office again.

05/12/10 Told over the phone that I was approved. Believe it when I see it!

06/04/10 Senators office tells me the adjudicator who interviewed me thinks I have a criminal record. Send out all paper work showing no criminal record.

06/08/10 Leave for Canada

06/09/10 Get RCMP certificate showing no criminal record. Fax off to senators office.

06/23/10 Approved for Citizenship

06/24/10 USCIS contacts Senators office

06/28/10 Find out that I have been approved for citizenship and they are just waiting to schedule my oath.

07/12/10 Put in line for oath ceremony....wonder how long that will be!

08/18/10 Called USCIS confirmed they sent oath letter for 09/17/2010 at 9am.

09/17/10 Oath ceremony at 9am..... US Citizen!!!! Applied for passport.

Hi there,

I was arrested twice when I was younger, I have no criminal record. Unfortunately I did have to spend 3 days in jail.(Over the weekend) My concern is that this December I become eligible to apply for citizenship. I was wondering should I even bother? I am concerned that I may be denied, even though I have no criminal record. Can anyone give me some insight? Also has anyone applied with an arrest record, and what was your outcome?

Thanks,

Lissa

You will have to declare your arrests on your N-400 application and get certified copies of court dispositions on those arrests. Non-disclosure of these facts is considered dishonesty by USCIS and may cause them to deny your application if they find out about them on the basis of lack of good moral character.

MY TIMELINE

District Office: Los Angeles

07/10/08 – Mailed N-400 application to CSC

07/11/08 – Priority Date

07/15/08 – Check cashed

07/18/08 – Received NOA1 Case No: WSC*002171XXX

07/26/08 – Received Fingerprint Notification

08/01/08 - Fingerprints taken

08/08/08 – Received "Case File Review Notice/Interview Document Check List

09/26/08 - Received Interview Letter

11/17/08 - Interview - Passed!

01/02/09 - Oath letter received

01/29/09 - Oath ceremony at 8 am

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

You will not be denied citizenship for such minor offenses. However, if you LIE about it, you are concealing a material fact. If they find out, they can revoke your citizenship.

Read this for details:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...756C0A961958260

It describes how people screwed up by lying about something that wasn't a problem to begin with, but lying about it was. Please don't put yourself in this situation.

It's also worth pointing out that, if I remember correctly, you needed to reveal this stuff in previous applications - such as AOS, etc. If you failed to reveal it before and reveal it now, someone may catch this fact and it could cause you problems.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Lissa04,

Sorry you were arrested and had to go through that ordeal before. If you made it this far in the immigration process though, I figure that you shouldn't be too concerned, as they already know of your prior arrest records and it's no surprise to them about that (unless you didn't say anything about that before). You do though, as stated on all the application forms for all the stages, have to provide a court-certified records (from Canada, I'm assuming), stating about this situation in your prior records history and of any new records here in the USA which you may have...

Hope this helps.

Ant

Hi there,

Thanks,

Lissa

Since you already went through the process for immigration and they said nothing; I hardly think it will be an issue now.

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes I have sent them all the documentation in the past along with when I applied for my I-751. I have just heard that when it comes to citizenship they are extremely strict, and will find every reason to deny you if possible.

N-400

10/26/09 Sent application to Lewisville TX.

10/27/09 Rec'd Application signed by B. Conteh

10/29/09 Check cashed

11/02/09 Rec'd NOA date showing 10/29/09

11/09/09 Rec'd letter Bio Appointment

11/17/09 Bio Appointment 8am

11/20/09 Called FBI-Prints were sent back to USCIS same day.

12/03/09 Rec'd email from USCIS that the RFE was a mistake.

12/04/09 Rec'd email from USCIS saying that I have been transferred for an interview.

12/07/09 Rec'd letter for interview on 1/11/10 @11am in Fairfax, VA.

01/11/10 Interview completed. Passed test decision can't be made.

03/02/10 Contacted Senator's office...No reply yet!

03/04/10 Senator office called says can take up to 120 days.

04/12/10 Service request filed.

05/12/10 Contacted Senator's office again.

05/12/10 Told over the phone that I was approved. Believe it when I see it!

06/04/10 Senators office tells me the adjudicator who interviewed me thinks I have a criminal record. Send out all paper work showing no criminal record.

06/08/10 Leave for Canada

06/09/10 Get RCMP certificate showing no criminal record. Fax off to senators office.

06/23/10 Approved for Citizenship

06/24/10 USCIS contacts Senators office

06/28/10 Find out that I have been approved for citizenship and they are just waiting to schedule my oath.

07/12/10 Put in line for oath ceremony....wonder how long that will be!

08/18/10 Called USCIS confirmed they sent oath letter for 09/17/2010 at 9am.

09/17/10 Oath ceremony at 9am..... US Citizen!!!! Applied for passport.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
have just heard that when it comes to citizenship they are extremely strict, and will find every reason to deny you if possible.
That's just not true - esp. with Canadians. Hell, it's practically the 51st state anyway (:

Be honest and forthcoming and you will be fine. Besides, they will already know about what you told them before, regardless of whether you put it down this time or not. So you had better put it down. (:

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Lissa04,

Yes, they can be strict on immigration. But as long as you explained the situation before, and they approved you then, then you should have no problems now. Just be honest when explaining your situation and provide the certified court paperwork about it, then you'll be fine. As well, as long as you meet the general naturalization requirements under "good character" and haven't been convincted for the last three-five years of crimes of "moral torpitude" listed on the general naturalization requirements then you should be fine citizenship wise too.

USCIS' General Naturalization Requirements:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Crimes of moral torpitude:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_turpitude

Hope this helps too. Good luck on your immigration journey.

Ant

Yes I have sent them all the documentation in the past along with when I applied for my I-751. I have just heard that when it comes to citizenship they are extremely strict, and will find every reason to deny you if possible.
Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.