14 posts in this topic

Me again~~

Here is my problem.

Two weeks ago my daughter and I went to get our social security number(SSN) .

But the SSN office lady said K1 can apply SSN now,but K2 need go to the immigration department

to get a note.I totally don't know what it is.

Today I saw some people said K2 must get green card first and then can get SSN after that.

Now I am confused . K2 should get green card first and then SSN?

But I see the AOS(I-485) form need fill the SSN number.

How can I do that?

Thank you so much.ORZ..

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
Me again~~

Here is my problem.

But the SSN office lady said K1 can apply SSN now,but K2 need go to the immigration department

Today I saw some people said K2 must get green card first and then can get SSN after that.

How can I do that?

Thank you so much.ORZ..

Wow, we had to wait for the Green Cards because we waited to long to apply for the SSN's. The I-485 shouldn't be a problem. Write NONE. Never heard that the K2 was different from the K1. I don't know why it would be...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Only K-1 can get SSN within 76 days of entry. K-2, K-3, and K-4 are NOT work auth and CANNOT get SSN until they have EAD or Green-card.

DID YOU READ THE GUIDE???

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn

SSN is NOT required to adjust status, just write "NONE" on the line on I-485.

Wow, we had to wait for the Green Cards because we waited to long to apply for the SSN's. The I-485 shouldn't be a problem. Write NONE. Never heard that the K2 was different from the K1. I don't know why it would be...
It is different because the K-2 is NOT getting married.

K-1 is not a work visa, it is a fiancee visa for entry to the USA and marriage, K-1 is "Work Auth" primarily to be able to get the SSN, some states are strict in their interpretation of a federal law that requires persons applying for a "license" to have SSN, this can cause a problem with marriage license if only one person has SSN and the other (the K-1 holder) does not.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I had the same situation with you so what I did was applied a work permit for my daughter for the sole purpose of getting a SSN. The EAD (employment authorization document) will also serve as our ID since our green card is still in process. I got approved as well as my daughter and I am just waiting for my card to come into the mail so I can apply SSN for her.

Married 05-23-08

AOS/EAD/AP:

6/19/08 : Sent package to Chicago lockbox thru fedex

6/24/08 : NOA1

6/30/08 : Biometrics Appointment Notice

7/21/08 : AOS transferred to CSC

7/23/08 : Biometrics Appointment

8/18/08 : EAD card production ordered!!!

8/18/08 : AP document approved!

8/26/08 : AP received in the mail

8/27/08 : EAD card received in the mail!

9/25/08 : Greencard production ordered!!!

9/29/08 : GC received!!!

Removing of Conditions:

7/21/10 : Application to Lift Conditions on Permanent Residency

09/30/10: Notice of Action

10/04/10: Biometrics Appointment

10/18/10: Approval

10/25/10: 10-year GC received

Naturalization:

03/07/12: Application for Naturalization

03/09/12: Notice of Action

04/16/12: Biometrics Appointment

06/08/12: Testing and Intervview - passed!

09/26/12: OATH TAKING CEREMONY - Today I become a US Citizen

Me again~~

Here is my problem.

How can I do that?

Thank you so much.ORZ..

I never heard either.= =

Only one thing makes me happy is that I got the SSN yesterday.

But now we need to wait to go to the department to get my child's note.

Do we need the K2 SSN to apply K2's green card?

If it is not,I think I can save a lot of time...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Did you read the posts in this thread???

NO SSN is required to adjust status just write "NONE" where it asks for SSN on the I-485.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=2155853

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Only K-1 can get SSN within 76 days of entry. K-2, K-3, and K-4 are NOT work auth and CANNOT get SSN until they have EAD or Green-card.

K-1 is not a work visa, it is a fiancee visa for entry to the USA and marriage, K-1 is "Work Auth" primarily to be able to get the SSN, some states are strict in their interpretation of a federal law that requires persons applying for a "license" to have SSN, this can cause a problem with marriage license if only one person has SSN and the other (the K-1 holder) does not.

Thank you so much.

Because my child will be 21.I am afraid she will be age out.

Ok,here is what I can do now.

I get the SSN,so now we can apply the green cards now for both of us even

though my child does't have the SSN.Just write "none" on the I-485?

I must go back to read the guide carefully= =

Timeline
I never heard either.= =

The work thing on the K1 seems to be a confusing issue. You need an EAD, but you are work authorized?

You don't have a SSN for the K2 write "NONE" on the I-485. It's OK.

In my case, the SSN's cost me on the Income tax returns. I couldn't get them, so I couldn't file them as dependants.

If this was an American marriage, I could. But then who said life was fair?

Heads Up...

Thank you so much.

Because my child will be 21.I am afraid she will be age out.

Ok,here is what I can do now.

I get the SSN,so now we can apply the green cards now for both of us even

though my child does't have the SSN.Just write "none" on the I-485?

I must go back to read the guide carefully= =

yes. YuandDan has given you good advise :thumbs:

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Did you read the posts in this thread???

NO SSN is required to adjust status just write "NONE" where it asks for SSN on the I-485.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=2155853

Ok I see.

Thank you .You replied so fast that I didn't see.

I just asked again= =

sorry!

I never heard either.= =

The work thing on the K1 seems to be a confusing issue. You need an EAD, but you are work authorized?

You don't have a SSN for the K2 write "NONE" on the I-485. It's OK.

In my case, the SSN's cost me on the Income tax returns. I couldn't get them, so I couldn't file them as dependants.

If this was an American marriage, I could. But then who said life was fair?

Heads Up...

That is so true.I read again and again during these days.

What is the result,I still don't know how to do.

Maybe because I am not smart.

hehe.

I just want everything will be sure.

I can't wast time because my child is 20 now.

I had the same situation with you so what I did was applied a work permit for my daughter for the sole purpose of getting a SSN. The EAD (employment authorization document) will also serve as our ID since our green card is still in process. I got approved as well as my daughter and I am just waiting for my card to come into the mail so I can apply SSN for her.

Ok,

I read that if apply AOS, EAD,AP together will cost about $1010,and if apply EAD first will cost above $300 and then the AOS AP also cost

$1010.

So I want to apply AOS AP EAD three together.I just want to know the different cards will get approved in different time???

If it is right ,maybe we can get EAD soon(I think AOS will take a long time),at that time we can apply my child's SSN.

Edited by ping1015

Timeline

Ok,

I read that if apply AOS, EAD,AP together will cost about $1010,and if apply EAD first will cost above $300 and then the AOS AP also cost

$1010.

So I want to apply AOS AP EAD three together.I just want to know the different cards will get approved in different time???

If it is right ,maybe we can get EAD soon(I think AOS will take a long time),at that time we can apply my child's SSN.

You have done your homework. Expensive, for what? That's up to you.

We filed for AOS in November, and had the GC's in March. That was several years ago, and maybe we were lucky.

We didn't bother with AP and EAD. If I understand correctly, aging out isn't an issue. She is here. I don't know of any AOS issues once the visa was issued and used.

Ok,

$1010.

If it is right ,maybe we can get EAD soon(I think AOS will take a long time),at that time we can apply my child's SSN.[/size]

Yeah, it would be practical if you apply AOS, EAD, AP at the same time since you only pay $1,010 for everything. Normally, the EAD comes first before the AOS (please see my timeline in my signature).

Married 05-23-08

AOS/EAD/AP:

6/19/08 : Sent package to Chicago lockbox thru fedex

6/24/08 : NOA1

6/30/08 : Biometrics Appointment Notice

7/21/08 : AOS transferred to CSC

7/23/08 : Biometrics Appointment

8/18/08 : EAD card production ordered!!!

8/18/08 : AP document approved!

8/26/08 : AP received in the mail

8/27/08 : EAD card received in the mail!

9/25/08 : Greencard production ordered!!!

9/29/08 : GC received!!!

Removing of Conditions:

7/21/10 : Application to Lift Conditions on Permanent Residency

09/30/10: Notice of Action

10/04/10: Biometrics Appointment

10/18/10: Approval

10/25/10: 10-year GC received

Naturalization:

03/07/12: Application for Naturalization

03/09/12: Notice of Action

04/16/12: Biometrics Appointment

06/08/12: Testing and Intervview - passed!

09/26/12: OATH TAKING CEREMONY - Today I become a US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.