kaffy

SSN- Married or maiden name? Hyphenated or not?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Lithuania
Timeline

Hi,

It"s been a long time since anybody posted here. Just wanted to make sure about my middle name change. My problem is that I never had a middle name,after marriage i have decided to take my husband's last name and keep my maiden name as my middle name. That is how i filed out my petitions to USCIS. Did not have any problems. When we went to SSO to change my name on my SS card I told her that I wanted to keep my maiden name as my middle, but the young lady at the office said that she can only put my husband's last name on ss card, and to put my maiden name as middle I would need to get a court order...??? I am not changing anything, USCIS didn't have any problems, my cousin did the same thing when she got married and did not need a court order...so I am lost and need your guidance. Thanks!

Filed: Timeline
My problem is that I never had a middle name,after marriage i have decided to take my husband's last name and keep my maiden name as my middle name. That is how i filed out my petitions to USCIS. Did not have any problems. When we went to SSO to change my name on my SS card I told her that I wanted to keep my maiden name as my middle, but the young lady at the office said that she can only put my husband's last name on ss card, and to put my maiden name as middle I would need to get a court order...??? I am not changing anything, USCIS didn't have any problems, my cousin did the same thing when she got married and did not need a court order...so I am lost and need your guidance. Thanks!

Person at SSA office doesn't what they are doing.

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

D. Examples of Legal Name Changes

6. Change of Middle Name to Maiden Name on SSN Card

Lisa Smith Jones applies for a replacement SSN card in that name because she lost her SSN card. The prior Numident records show the names Lisa Marie Smith and Lisa Jones. She submits a driver’s license showing her name as Lisa S. Jones.

It is a common occurrence in the U.S. for a woman to take her maiden name as the middle name after marriage. Because a legal name generally consists of a first or given name and a surname or family name, whether the identity document submitted shows the middle name is included, omitted or incorrect does not matter.

SSA can process the change of Lisa’s middle name. This is not a legal name change because the first and last names have not changed.

NOTE: In cases where there are questions about whether the applicant is the number holder, it may be necessary to request additional evidence of identity and the have the applicant explain middle name changes.

Edited by I Quit

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Lithuania
Timeline
My problem is that I never had a middle name,after marriage i have decided to take my husband's last name and keep my maiden name as my middle name. That is how i filed out my petitions to USCIS. Did not have any problems. When we went to SSO to change my name on my SS card I told her that I wanted to keep my maiden name as my middle, but the young lady at the office said that she can only put my husband's last name on ss card, and to put my maiden name as middle I would need to get a court order...??? I am not changing anything, USCIS didn't have any problems, my cousin did the same thing when she got married and did not need a court order...so I am lost and need your guidance. Thanks!

Person at SSA office doesn't what they are doing.

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

D. Examples of Legal Name Changes

6. Change of Middle Name to Maiden Name on SSN Card

Lisa Smith Jones applies for a replacement SSN card in that name because she lost her SSN card. The prior Numident records show the names Lisa Marie Smith and Lisa Jones. She submits a driver’s license showing her name as Lisa S. Jones.

It is a common occurrence in the U.S. for a woman to take her maiden name as the middle name after marriage. Because a legal name generally consists of a first or given name and a surname or family name, whether the identity document submitted shows the middle name is included, omitted or incorrect does not matter.

SSA can process the change of Lisa’s middle name. This is not a legal name change because the first and last names have not changed.

NOTE: In cases where there are questions about whether the applicant is the number holder, it may be necessary to request additional evidence of identity and the have the applicant explain middle name changes.

Thanks for the quick reply! I have read this couple of times, but misread it. She told me to come back when I have my court order so she could put my maiden name on the card. For now it is just my husband's last name(which i am still waiting for). Oh,well ,I am going to print this and point at it. :thumbs: Thanks again!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.