howdydoodle

Translation requirements - Does anybody know??

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Please help........

My wife recently obtained new and current police certificates, one from Egypt and one from Qatar, they are both in Arabic. She decided to order them just in case they are requested at the interview in Cairo and to avoid any AP time. The ones we submited to NVC with DS-230 where outdated, but strangely they were accepted, therefore our case was completed 8-08-2008.

The new police certificates are in Arabic, does she need to translate them in English when she brings them to the interview in Cairo. Or is not required?

Filed: Timeline

My husband (in morocco) had his translated and we submitted both copies to NVC for the consolate in morocco.

Please help........

My wife recently obtained new and current police certificates, one from Egypt and one from Qatar, they are both in Arabic. She decided to order them just in case they are requested at the interview in Cairo and to avoid any AP time. The ones we submited to NVC with DS-230 where outdated, but strangely they were accepted, therefore our case was completed 8-08-2008.

The new police certificates are in Arabic, does she need to translate them in English when she brings them to the interview in Cairo. Or is not required?

My husband (in morocco) had his translated and we submitted both copies to NVC for the consolate in morocco.

Please help........

Yes, I understand but only the certificates we submitted and accepted by NVC were translated to English.

The question is about the new ones we got recently, and we are bringing to the interview just in case they request them. Do you think we sholud translate those as well?

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I believe you are supposed to have english translations for all documents you take to the interview.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Ditto. Last I knew, we had to have English translations for all Ahmed's Arabic documents. For every step of the way, petition, interview, NVC, AOS, you name it.

Good luck for a speedy approval :)

Why don't you email the embassy or give them a call? I had the opposite.... We sent an original and certified translation to USCIS and NVC however at the embassy, for the interview in Tunis, they requested specifically an original police certificate (Bulletin Number 3 in Tunisia) and they did NOT want a translation. They wanted to see an original as recent/current as we could get it (They got it one day old) and that's exactly how they requested it. The consular there, though American, read and spoke fluent Arabic.. I guess maybe naively I thought that was a requirement of their job and posting, to speak the language of the country they were in or at least if the consular does not, they have translators available at the embassy.

I would call them and ask or email - it should be really inexpensive for her to call from Egypt or you email from here (free) and it could save you the hassle and money of getting another translation. Again, my experience is Tunis about 3 months ago, but they wanted only a very recent original at the interview.

Please help........

Yes, I understand but only the certificates we submitted and accepted by NVC were translated to English.

The question is about the new ones we got recently, and we are bringing to the interview just in case they request them. Do you think we sholud translate those as well?

Why don't you email the embassy or give them a call? I had the opposite.... We sent an original and certified translation to USCIS and NVC however at the embassy, for the interview in Tunis, they requested specifically an original police certificate (Bulletin Number 3 in Tunisia) and they did NOT want a translation. They wanted to see an original as recent/current as we could get it (They got it one day old) and that's exactly how they requested it. The consular there, though American, read and spoke fluent Arabic.. I guess maybe naively I thought that was a requirement of their job and posting, to speak the language of the country they were in or at least if the consular does not, they have translators available at the embassy.

I would call them and ask or email - it should be really inexpensive for her to call from Egypt or you email from here (free) and it could save you the hassle and money of getting another translation. Again, my experience is Tunis about 3 months ago, but they wanted only a very recent original at the interview.

Please help........

That makes a lot of sense, I can see we both have similar situations. Definitelly translations can be expensive and we have 2 to deal with $$. I'll follow your advise and email the Cairo US Embassy ASAP since they have responded to my previous correspondence regarding other issues.

Thanks so much for your advise.

You are most welcome ! :thumbs:

An email should clear it all up and I hope they are fast to respond to you. Tunis really was a great embassy, but I have heard mixed reviews on Cairo. So inshallah they will write you back ASAP.

And yes translations are expensive (they were like $20 USD a page in Tunis ) and depending on where you go.. They can really drag it out with the inshallah come back tomorrow to get it!! (That drove me NUTS! lol )

Good luck with your interview and I pray that you have visa in hand very soon!

That makes a lot of sense, I can see we both have similar situations. Definitelly translations can be expensive and we have 2 to deal with $$. I'll follow your advise and email the Cairo US Embassy ASAP since they have responded to my previous correspondence regarding other issues.

I just wanted to add that the police certificate I sent to USCIS with the original application was about a month old and it got us all the way through to the embassy - Even resubmitted that certificate original to NVC for DS 230 in Feb/March 2008 with a July 2007 date on it and they accepted it. It was until at his interview, after the consular approved him, she requested a current certificate - and the next day they made a hand off trade, his new police certificate (not translated/original) for the visa!

An email should clear it all up and I hope they are fast to respond to you. Tunis really was a great embassy, but I have heard mixed reviews on Cairo. So inshallah they will write you back ASAP.

And yes translations are expensive (they were like $20 USD a page in Tunis ) and depending on where you go.. They can really drag it out with the inshallah come back tomorrow to get it!! (That drove me NUTS! lol )

I just wanted to add that the police certificate I sent to USCIS with the original application was about a month old and it got us all the way through to the embassy - Even resubmitted that certificate original to NVC for DS 230 in Feb/March 2008 with a July 2007 date on it and they accepted it. It was until at his interview, after the consular approved him, she requested a current certificate - and the next day they made a hand off trade, his new police certificate (not translated/original) for the visa!

So based on what you are saying, anything can happen at the interview so it's better to be fully prepared. Now I'm glad we decided to request the current certificates from each country.

By the way, there aren't too many Tunisians here in SA, Texas, but my ex-brother in law is from there, his last name is Kallel

Again, thanks for your input.

Alwin

I know 12 Tunisians in SA :lol: :lol: One that just left SA a few weeks ago to get married in Tunis and return to live in SA. But the friends I have there always complain about being mistaken as Hispanic hehe They come to Delaware to visit it and call it "Europe" because it's so green compared to SA.

Of course anything can happen at an interview and you will need police certificates for any country that your wife has lived in. But I don't think that you are going to need translations for them since you are not sending them to a US agency, but rather taking them directly to the interview in Cairo.

However because I could be wrong processing in Tunis not Cairo, an email or call should clear it up for you!

So based on what you are saying, anything can happen at the interview so it's better to be fully prepared. Now I'm glad we decided to request the current certificates from each country.

By the way, there aren't too many Tunisians here in SA, Texas, but my ex-brother in law is from there, his last name is Kallel

Alwin

I know 12 Tunisians in SA :lol: :lol: One that just left SA a few weeks ago to get married in Tunis and return to live in SA. But the friends I have there always complain about being mistaken as Hispanic hehe They come to Delaware to visit it and call it "Europe" because it's so green compared to SA.

Of course anything can happen at an interview and you will need police certificates for any country that your wife has lived in. But I don't think that you are going to need translations for them since you are not sending them to a US agency, but rather taking them directly to the interview in Cairo.

However because I could be wrong processing in Tunis not Cairo, an email or call should clear it up for you!

Alwin

Really? My wife also always get's mistaken as Hispanic here in San Antonio, even though she's 5' 9" and has eyes of "nefertiti".. :hehe: so that really pisses her off.. :angry:

I hope that it doesn't bother your wife too much, but I know that after a while it gets annoying. :yes:

But, I don't think it's just an SA thing. My husband is Tunisian in Delaware and people are always assuming him to be Mexican or hispanic/latino.... and his name is Jihed.......

It was so bad that at his first job two Mexican employees started to speak Spanish to him. He told them I don't speak Spanish, I'm sorry. :blush: So they just kept talking on and on to him, so he said it again. I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish.. I speak English, French and Arabic. They just kinda looked at him like he had horns growing out of his head :blink: and walked away ....

So he got a little upset and came home and asked me how to say I'm not Mexican and I don't speak Spanish .. So I taught him and back to work he went the next day with his new information... Well that only fed it more.. He doesn't speak Spanish but he's telling them that in Spanish...

:whistle: They were convinced for the longest he was some kind of trader working for the manager to spy on them :bonk::lol:

Really? My wife also always get's mistaken as Hispanic here in San Antonio, even though she's 5' 9" and has eyes of "nefertiti".. :hehe: so that really pisses her off.. :angry:

I hope that it doesn't bother your wife too much, but I know that after a while it gets annoying. :yes:

But, I don't think it's just an SA thing. My husband is Tunisian in Delaware and people are always assuming him to be Mexican or hispanic/latino.... and his name is Jihed.......

It was so bad that at his first job two Mexican employees started to speak Spanish to him. He told them I don't speak Spanish, I'm sorry. :blush: So they just kept talking on and on to him, so he said it again. I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish.. I speak English, French and Arabic. They just kinda looked at him like he had horns growing out of his head :blink: and walked away ....

So he got a little upset and came home and asked me how to say I'm not Mexican and I don't speak Spanish .. So I taught him and back to work he went the next day with his new information... Well that only fed it more.. He doesn't speak Spanish but he's telling them that in Spanish...

:whistle: They were convinced for the longest he was some kind of trader working for the manager to spy on them :bonk::lol:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.