Manohar

Do I need to cancel previous I-129F petition>

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I got engaged 2 weeks ago in Pakistan, Now I am back in US and ready to file I-129F. The issue is: I had filed a I-129F about 7 years ago for a different girl (Madhu) that I was engaged to at that time. Madhu wad declined finance visa at that time bec she didnt have proof of our meeting at the interview. But then I had change of heart and basically left the situation where it was and I never canceld the process with US immigration.

Now I am ready to apply for fiance visa for a different girl. My questions is that do I need to do anything with the old petition before I file a new one? Or is it automatically assumed canceled due to the fact that it has been over 7 years now?

another question: When you do really submit proof of engagment such as pictures or egangement certificate from a priest or so? Is it when I initially file the 1-129 F or do they need to be presented by fiance at the time of interview?

Thanks

I got engaged 2 weeks ago in Pakistan, Now I am back in US and ready to file I-129F. The issue is: I had filed a I-129F about 7 years ago for a different girl (Madhu) that I was engaged to at that time. Madhu wad declined finance visa at that time bec she didnt have proof of our meeting at the interview. But then I had change of heart and basically left the situation where it was and I never canceld the process with US immigration.

Now I am ready to apply for fiance visa for a different girl. My questions is that do I need to do anything with the old petition before I file a new one? Or is it automatically assumed canceled due to the fact that it has been over 7 years now?

another question: When you do really submit proof of engagment such as pictures or egangement certificate from a priest or so? Is it when I initially file the 1-129 F or do they need to be presented by fiance at the time of interview?

Thanks

IMO, you answered your question in the bolded text. When USCIS sends RFE, it gives a time-limit in which to receive an answer (which is nowhere near 7 years).

So, previous I-129F process essentially went into dustbin.

As for proof of meeting: I selected a few photos from our engagement ceremony (I've never heard of an "engagement certificate") and some other assorted ones of us in the prayer-hall, and copies of letters between us.

Such evidence (proof of meeting/relationship) needs to be submitted with the I-129F, NOT at interview time.

Edited by CherryXS

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Timeline

After 7 years it is no longer in their systems or pending - nothing like that. It's been dropped and I don't think it's something to concern yourself over.

As far as what went wrong at your last interview and making sure it doesn't happen again ... You should send photographic evidence with your 129 F petition. Showing pictures of yourselves together, something from the day you got engaged, photos of rings on hands if you exchanged anything like that- photos with family, etc. Also you can include other photos from the time that you spent together. Any form of evidence outside of photos that you have should also be sent with the petition (evidence that shows your relationship, engagement, etc) Some people even go as far to get letters from family members supporting the relationship.. I'm not sure if that's necessary but it's always an option.

As well, make sure when your fiance goes for her interview, when that time comes, that she is armed with all the information. Don't send her in blinded... Make sure she has some copies of photos, evidence, and even the original petition that you sent (you can fax or scan /email that over to her, etc) So she can read up and know what is going on and be totally prepared!

Good luck to you and I hope you have a fast and smooth journey!!! :thumbs:

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Manohar

Group: Members

On the I-129F,it asks the following questions:

11. Have you ever filed for this or any other alien fiancé(e) or husband/wife before?

Yes

No

If "Yes," give name of all aliens, place and date of filing, A# and result. (Attached additional sheets as necessary.)

Would you suggest the I respond yes give details suggesting that I had change of heart after visa denial?

Thanks

Manohar

Ash * Habibati

Group: Members

Manohar,

When it comes to immigration honestly is always 100% the best policy. If they really wanted to explore it or do some kind of system check it's always possible that your name could come up linked to the old petition. ( I do not know how long they keep records in their system even though the petitions are no longer active, that's something that probably only a USCIS employee would know the answer to )

I am going to answer you to the best of my ability here in PM, but I do strongly advise you to post this on the same forum, so that you can get a variety of answers and go with the one that you feel is truly the best.

However, that being said, if it were me, I would definitely answer Yes to this question. I would give the name of the former fiance, place and date you filed, A # (if you ever got one, if not than just put N/A in that area) and for the result I would state something along the lines of :

"While gathering information for an RFE at the interview, the beneficiary and myself decided it was not in our best interest to pursue the relationship and therefore abandonned the petition. "

Again people in the open forum may have another opinion than mine that you feel is better or they might be able to give you better wording than I did. I processed CR 1 (marriage) and not fiance, but I really do encourage you to be totally honest with them.

You could even include a letter of explanation attached to the application/petition detailing what happened 7 years ago. To be honest with you, I know many people (it has happened often in the MENA forum where I spend most of my time) that were married, brought someone here (completed the process) divorced after 1 year and within 1-2 years were petitioning for another individual to come to the US and they were successful in that.

Just remember, immigration petitions of this nature are your right as a good standing American citizen. I do not think that a petition from 7 years ago is going to affect your process. First it was 7 years ago (not one or two like some people do) and also you never completed the process - You did not bring her here.

Like I said, I just strongly encourage that you learn from the mistakes of the first interview and give your fiance all the information. Spend a lot of time talking over the process together, sending her emails with scanned copies of what yous end to USCIS/NVC and what they send back to you. Invite her to VJ and even if her English isn't that good in your specific regional forum you will find others who speak both her language and English and can help her in all ways.

Prepare her 1000%

I really do wish you the best and again I encourage you to post this question in the forums - VJ is all about everyone learning from each other and there could be someone that comes along with the same problem as you and can benefit from your questions and the answers given to you!!!

You are welcome I'm glad I could help!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

You got some good advice here except that I would NOT include anything having to do with any engagement ceremony.. especially at a Consulate which scrutinizes couples more. ;)

Pictures are fine but they are still just secondary evidence and could be created by anyone. You will want to save all concrete proof of your meeting. Passport stamps, Boarding passes, credit card receipts/transactions in her Country...etc.

If you need to add information to any of the forms just list the attachment and note the question before you explain on a separate sheet of paper. Don't forget to make 4 copies to go with each copy of your G325a.

You will want to visit the Regional forums as well as fill in your timeline and have a look at the Portals pages to find other couples from Pakistan. Follow their lead..they are the best to learn from. ;)

good luck

timeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.