Caolong

Vietnam Interview Process

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi,

My fiance lives in Vietnam. I heard from friend that during the interview process they require not only my our birth certificates but our parents. This is not listed as a requirement on the I-129F form. I have my birth certificate, but my parents don't have theirs. They lost it in Vietnam 30 years ago. What can I do? Please help. I am very worried.

I'm sorry I don't know. I'm hoping someone going through this process from Vietnam can help! Are you aware there is a forum (see link) that might be able to help you find some answers to your questions? There is a pinned thread at the top of the page as well for members going through the Embassy in Vietnam. It's possible that given your question, that what's needed is a long BC, like in Canada, which isn't your parents BC, but your fiances, that lists the parents. I really don't know. Please click on the link where I think you'll find your answers or someone who can better link you to finding the answers.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=90

Hope this helps!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Birth certificates of parents are not required. However, if you and your fiancee have the same last name, they usually ask for birth certificates of your parents too. They want to be clear that you and your fiancee are not relatives (i.e. cousins).

In our case, we have different last names and they did not ask for our parents' birth certificates.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2007-12-12

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-12-18

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-05-07

NVC Received : 2008-05-14

NVC Left : 2008-05-14

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2008-06-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-06-03

Packet 4 Received : 2008-06-16

Interview Date : 2008-07-23

Timeline

If you are Vietnamese American and your fiancee is Vietnamese, I would get your and your fiancee's parents birth certificates. If you both have the same last names, then I would include them with your I-129f with a statement explaining that these are included to show that you're not related, etc. The reason for this is then the Consulate won't give you a blue slip asking for this evidence. They will already have this info.

If you are related then you need to show with birth certificates how you are related. That means you may need grand parents, uncles, aunts, etc depending on your case. Also include a statement explaining it that is notarized.

If you aren't related, I would have them just in case as the Consulate sometimes asks for things because they can. If that happens then it's easy to deal with as you already have them, ready to submit.

Good Luck

Peter and Thi

I-129F Sent : 2007-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-06-11

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-10-26

Touched: 2007-11-02

NVC Recieved: 2007-11-16

Consulate recieved ??????

Packet 3 sent 2007-12-11

Packet 3 received 2007-12-24

Packet 3 returned 2007-12-28

Packet 4 sent 2008-1-14

Email Reply with Interview Date 2008-1-23

Interview Date 2008-2-27

Passed Interview 2008-02-27

Visa Pick Up Date 2008-3-05

Received Visa 2008-2-29 (called to pick up earlier)

POE 2008-3-05 Los Angeles

Wedding 2008-4-26

Timeline

Here's what the HCMC Consulate says about getting birth certificates:

"Individuals born in Vietnam who need new copies of their Vietnamese birth certificates need to contact the office of the People's Committee of the district where they were born: the district where their mother was then resident according to her Ho Khau. The district People's Committee can issue certified copies of a birth certificate (Ban Sao) based on their records of the original birth certificate. Alternatively, the office may provide an Extract (Trich Luc) of the information in the birth record on file in their office.

If you are not able to obtain a birth certificate because records have been destroyed or the government will not issue one, you must obtain a statement to that effect from the civil registrar’s office and submit secondary evidence of birth. Secondary evidence of birth can be old family household registrations, school records, or baptismal certificates. "

This is from their website

Good Luck

Peter and Thi

I-129F Sent : 2007-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-06-11

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-10-26

Touched: 2007-11-02

NVC Recieved: 2007-11-16

Consulate recieved ??????

Packet 3 sent 2007-12-11

Packet 3 received 2007-12-24

Packet 3 returned 2007-12-28

Packet 4 sent 2008-1-14

Email Reply with Interview Date 2008-1-23

Interview Date 2008-2-27

Passed Interview 2008-02-27

Visa Pick Up Date 2008-3-05

Received Visa 2008-2-29 (called to pick up earlier)

POE 2008-3-05 Los Angeles

Wedding 2008-4-26

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.