Yomtl

i-131 form (Advance Parole)

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi!

When completing form i-131 (form for Advance Parole), they ask "On a separate sheet(s) of paper, please explain how you qualify for an advance parole document and what circumstances warrant issuance of advance parole.  Include copies of any documents you wish considered."

Since I am filing for Advance Parole at the same time as I am filing for AOS, do I need to provide any extra explanations / documents (since copies of the K1 visa, I-94, etc...will already be attached to the AOS application)?

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent : 2008-01-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-01-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-03

NVC Received : 2008-03-05

NVC Left : 2008-03-07

Consulate Received : 2008-03-10

Packet 3 Received : 2008-03-25

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-03-31

Medical: 2008-04-01

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Hi!

When completing form i-131 (form for Advance Parole), they ask "On a separate sheet(s) of paper, please explain how you qualify for an advance parole document and what circumstances warrant issuance of advance parole.  Include copies of any documents you wish considered."

Since I am filing for Advance Parole at the same time as I am filing for AOS, do I need to provide any extra explanations / documents (since copies of the K1 visa, I-94, etc...will already be attached to the AOS application)?

If there isn't room on the form, I'd just attach a one paragraph explanation that you'd want to be able to travel on AP back to Canada before obtaining your GC to visit family and friends. Don't put down any specific dates or anything.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
If there isn't room on the form, I'd just attach a one paragraph explanation that you'd want to be able to travel on AP back to Canada before obtaining your GC to visit family and friends. Don't put down any specific dates or anything.

Why no explanation of dates? what if you need a specific date? I'm not there yet, but I will need to file it for my high school reunion next summer. Or is it a re-usable document? and do you have to file for both after you are already married, or can you do it as soon as you enter the US?

thanks

I 29F sent to VSC FEB 7, 2008 (K1)

Packet 3 recieved in May sometime

Medical done June 10/08

Packet 3 documents completed and sent out July 08/ 08

Packet 4 received July 28 (letter dated July 21)

Interview Aug 15, 2008 APPROVED!!!!!!!

Received Visa in mail Aug 20!

Moved to NY Dec 6, 2008!!!

Wedding Feb 28, 2009

Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization and Advanced Parole Forms all sent to chicago- Mar 12/09

Received Mar 16/09

NOAs for all dated Mar 20/09

HONEYMOON in DisneyWorld: Mar 21-29

Biometrics appt: Apr 8/09

"Welcome to USA" Letter received May 19/09

Green Card received May 26/09!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why no explanation of dates? what if you need a specific date? I'm not there yet, but I will need to file it for my high school reunion next summer. Or is it a re-usable document? and do you have to file for both after you are already married, or can you do it as soon as you enter the US?

thanks

If you have specific dates and you know them, yes put that down.

Most people don't have specific dates so it's good to know you can put either down and be approved.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Well keep in mind my husband and I are only just starting to fill out the AOS stuff too. There is a box that lets you check off either that you want it for a single use or for more than one trip. I'd say check the more than one trip box even if you only have one planned

I think the question about "why you qualify" and the one about what travel plans you have are two different questions. I don't have the form in front of me---I think so, though. How you qualify is you are applying for AOS. Why you need it you might want to go home. If you have specific plans---in your case, your HS reunion---you might mention that as well.

The form does seem to ask for very specific information and the directions say something about AP being an "extraordinary remedy" to be approved "rarely," but I don't think that's really true.

And you have to file when you file AOS after you are married, not immediately upon entry.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

thanks

I said that because on another forum, specifically AOS, someone said they put down specific dates, and that's what it had on their AP, JUST those specific dates...some silly language that suggested that the document was for those specific dates. Now, for me...if I was wanting to use it for several months AFTER that date, I wouldn't want some BO denying me access to leave, or have a hassle at the border because it was some date other than what was on the form. You don't need a date on the form. You want to be able to travel back and forth once you have the document when you want. Now, hopefully that other person doesn't have any problem, but I sure as heck given some of the info here on crossing the border, wouldn't want to chance it. Just my opinion....certainly not fact.

carlahmsb4.gif

I said that because on another forum, specifically AOS, someone said they put down specific dates, and that's what it had on their AP, JUST those specific dates...some silly language that suggested that the document was for those specific dates.

I'd be wary of putting down specific dates for that reason as well. There is a section where you can check off either a box that says one trip only or a box that says "more than one." So, theoretically, you should be fine if you check the more than one trip box, but I wouldn't want to give them any reason to misunderstand. Processing AOS is supposedly slowing down and even if you think you will only be taking one specific trip before you get your green card (as we are--Calgary for Christmas), it is better to have it in case you plan another later than to not have it and find you need it.

K1

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

Removing Conditions

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi!

When completing form i-131 (form for Advance Parole), they ask "On a separate sheet(s) of paper, please explain how you qualify for an advance parole document and what circumstances warrant issuance of advance parole. Include copies of any documents you wish considered."

Yomtl:

even though you file for three different forms at the same time, they go off in different directions. If they ask for passport pictures in the AOS and the AP forms (as an example), you have to submit two sets of photographs, one set for each form.

i included a separate letter, indicating that I was applying for AOS, and AP as well. I then listed the reasons why I wanted AP (I had about six of them) and stated that I thought I would be using it at least once "mid-May" as well as a summertime trip (no specific dates indicated). Had no problems.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

even though you file for three different forms at the same time, they go off in different directions. If they ask for passport pictures in the AOS and the AP forms (as an example), you have to submit two sets of photographs, one set for each form.

i included a separate letter, indicating that I was applying for AOS, and AP as well. I then listed the reasons why I wanted AP (I had about six of them) and stated that I thought I would be using it at least once "mid-May" as well as a summertime trip (no specific dates indicated). Had no problems.

Thank you, Cassie. I actually did not know they would be separated like that, and the way you did the separate letter seems pretty sensible for our situation as well, so that was helpful for me too.

K1

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

Removing Conditions

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.