one...two...tree

Filipino Trivia

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

In the Philippines, Filipinos were introduced to the English language in 1762 by British invaders, not Americans.

What is the world's 3rd largest English-speaking nation, next to the USA and the UK? The Philippines.

The USA bought the Philippines, Puerto Rico and Guam from Spain in 1898. The Filipino-American Independence War from 1898 to 1902 ensued, killing 4,234 Americans and how many Filipinos? 16,000 were killed in action and 200,000 died from famine and pestilence. (The Philippines lost and was colonized until 1946.)

Los Angeles, California was co-founded in 1781 by a Filipino named Antonio Miranda Rodriguez, along with 43 Latinos from Mexico sent by the Spanish government.

What antibiotic did Filipino doctor Abelardo Aguilar co-discover? Hint: Brand is Ilosone, named after Iloilo. Erythromycin.

The one-chip video camera was first made by Marc Loinaz, a Filipino inventor from New Jersey.

The first ever international Grandmaster from Asia was Eugenio Torre who won at the Chess Olympiad in Nice, France in 1974.

This son of two Filipino physicians scored over 700 on the verbal portion of the Standardized Achievement Test (SAT) before age 13 - Kiwi Danao Camara of Punahou School, Hawaii.

Edward Sanchez, a Mensa member, bagged the grand prize in the first Philippine Search for Product Excellence in Information Technology.

Who was the Filipino-American dancer who scored a perfect 1600 on the SAT? Joyce Monteverde of California.

Who invented the fluorescent lamp? Thomas Edison discovered the electric light and the fluorescent lighting was thought up by Nikola Tesla. But the fluorescent lamp we use today was invented by Agapito Flores (a Cebu man named Benigno Flores of Bantayan Island, according to the Philippine Daily Inquirer), a Filipino scientist. Americans helped then Philippine leader Ramon Magsaysay to develop it for worldwide commerce.

(Yes! Many foreigners have noted that the Filipino population has Asia's highest rates of inventors and international beauty queens.) Two Filipina beauties, Gloria Diaz and Margie Morgan, chosen as Miss Universe in 1969 and 1973.

Pure or part Filipino celebrities in American showbiz include Von Flores, Tia Carrere, Paolo Montalban, Lea Salonga, Ernie Reyes Jr., Nia Peeples, Julio Iglesias Jr., Lou Diamond Phillips, Phoebe Cates and Rob Schneider.

The first Filipino act to land a top hit on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart in the 1960s was the group Rocky Fellers of Manila. Sugar Pie de Santo (father was from the Philippines), The Artist Formerly Known as Prince (according to the October 1984 article "Prince in Exile" by Scott Isler in the magazine Musician), Jaya, Foxy Brown and Enrique Iglesias followed.

Pure Filipinos who made success in minor charts were Jocelyn Enriquez aka Oriental Madonna, Buffy, Pinay and (Ella May) Saison.

Latina-American pop star Christina Aguilera lost to Filipina vocalist Josephine Roberto aka Banig during the International Star Search years ago. In a mid-1999 MTV chat, she said that competing against someone of Banig's age was "not fair."

Besides gracing fashion magazine covers, this international supermodel from Manila had walked the runways since the 1970s for all the major designers, like Calvin Klein, Chanel, Christian Dior, Christian Lacroix Donna Karan, Gianni Versace and Yves Saint Laurent - Anna Bayle.

Who is the personal physician of United States Pres. William Clinton? Eleanor "Connie" Concepcion Mariano, a Filipina doctor who was the youngest captain in the US Navy.

The first Filipino-American in US Congress was Virginia Rep. Robert Cortez-Scott, a Harvard alumnus.

Distinguished British traveler-writer A. Henry Savage Landor, thrilled upon seeing a Bicol landmark in 1903, wrote: "Mayon is the most beautiful mountain I have ever seen, then world-renowned Fujiyama (Mt. Fuji) of Japan sinking into perfect insignificance by comparison." Mayon has the world's most perfect cone.

Filipinos had their first taste of Mexican chili and corn during the Manila-Acapulco galleon trade (1564-1815). In return, Mexico's people had their initial taste of tamarind, Manila mango and a Filipino banana called racatan or lakatan.

Founded in 1595 by Spaniards, the University of San Carlos in Cebu City, Philippines is older than Harvard and is the oldest university in Asia. University of Santo Tomas in Manila, established in 1611, is Asia's second oldest.

Who's the Filipina senator popular for her colorful jargon, delivered in a mile-a-minute speed and in a weird Harvard-meets-Ilonggo accent? Atty. Miriam Defensor-Santiago.

The first female president of the Philippines sworn into office in 1986 was Corazon Cojuangco Aquino. Her maiden name is Chinese... In a March 31, 1997 article, The New York Times reported that the CIA manipulated Philippine elections: "(CIA operative Col. Edward Lansdale) essentially ran the successful presidential campaign of Defense Minister Ramon Magsaysay in the Philippines in 1953."

Who was the first Asian and/or Filipino to snatch America's Pulitzer Prize? Philippines Herald war journalist Carlos P. Romulo in 1941. (He was also the first Asian to become UN President.)

The first two Filipino-Americans to garner the same award 56 years later were Seattle Times' Alex Tizon and Byron Acohido, who is part-Korean.

Filipino writer Jose Rizal could read and write at age 2, and grew up to speak more than 20 languages, including Latin, Greek, German, French and Chinese. What were his last words? "Consummatum est!" ("It is done!")

"What's still most impressive to me about the Philippines is the friendliness of the people, their sense of humor...," wrote Honolulu journalist John Griffin in a 1998 visit to Manila.

http://www.thepinoy.com/html/fil_trivia.html

Edited by Jabberwocky

What is the world's 3rd largest English-speaking nation, next to the USA and the UK? The Philippines.

I would think India's the 3rd largest?

If we'd consider total population of english speakers India would actually rank second to United States: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...king_population

But the ranking would probably change if they'd rank it base on percentage against total population in any given country.

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would think India's the 3rd largest?

Philippines probably by percentage, not by number of people ;)

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2007-09-29

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-10-01

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-01-07

NVC Received : 2008-01-14

Payment Made to Delbros 2008-02-04

Forwarded to USEM 2008-02-11

Request made to NSO 2008-02-27

Medical Exam: 2008-03-04

Interview Date : 2008-03-11 PASSED!

Second Request to NSO 2008-03-11

Found out why we are on AR 2008-04-15

Doc request forwarded to NSO on 2008-04-21

Visa APPROVED AND PRINTED on 2008-05-09

RELEASED FOR DELIVERY on 2008-05-12(13)

Out for delivery on 2008-05-16

Visa in Hand 2008-06-03-2008

Arrived 2008-06-17

Married 2008-09-01

Submitted AOS and EAD 2008-09-17

Biometrics appointment 2008-10-16

Filed: Timeline

I was thinking it was by percentage because if not, it doesn't make sense. India has over 1 Billion in population and atleast about 300 million is predominantly English-educated versus Philippines' population of 92 million.

Edited by speedo

I speak my mind, so please don't take it personally.

I'm here at VJ to help 'Reshape the Filipina Image Online.' <- click

Pure or part Filipino celebrities in American showbiz include Von Flores, Tia Carrere, Paolo Montalban, Lea Salonga, Ernie Reyes Jr., Nia Peeples, Julio Iglesias Jr., Lou Diamond Phillips, Phoebe Cates and Rob Schneider.

Just to add:

Allan Pineda Lindo, (b. 28 November 1974) better known as apl.de.ap, is a hip hop musician and member of the The Black Eyed Peas. He was born in the Barangay (Barrio) of Sapang Bato, Angeles City, Pampanga, in the Philippines, to a Filipina mother and African-American father.

Shannyn Sossamon was born on October 3, 1978 in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Sherry Sossamon and Todd Lindberg, grew up in Reno, Nevada, and attended Galena High School there. She is of French, Hawaiian, Dutch, English, Irish, Filipino and German descent; her maternal grandmother is Hawaiian-Filipino, and her maternal grandfather is English-German.

Nicole Scherzinger Nicole Elikolani Prescovia Scherzinger (also known as Nicole Kea) (born June 29, 1978), is an American singer, dancer, songwriter and occasional actress best known for her work as the lead vocalist for the Pussycat Dolls. Scherzinger was born in Hawaii, to a Filipino father and Hawaiian/Russian mother.

Victoria Recaño is an Emmy Award-winning American television personality, best known for being a correspondent on such programs as The Insider and Inside Edition. Recaño was born in St. Louis, Missouri, one of six children. Her father was Filipino and Spanish having emigrated to the United States to pursue a career in medicine.

Vanessa Anne Hudgens. Hudgens's father is an American of Irish and Native American descent, and her mother, who grew up in Manila, is a Filipino-born of Filipino, Spanish, and Chinese descent.

Brandon Baker (born April 28, 1985 in Anaheim, California) is known for the made-for-tv movies, such as Disney movies Johnny Tsunami and its sequel, Johnny Kapahala: Back on Board as well as for his role on the short lived NBC sitcom One World. In 2002, he appeared in an episode of the Disney Channel original series Even Stevens. He was born in Anaheim, California. He is part English, German, and Filipino.

Michael Copon stars on BRING IT ON "On it to win it". Copon was born in Chesapeake, Virginia on November 13, 1982; to a Filipino-American father and a German-American mother.

Kirk Hammett (born on November 18, 1962) is the lead guitarist in the thrash metal band Metallica. Hammett is one of the better-known students of guitarist and instructor Joe Satriani. In 2003, he was ranked 11th in the Rolling Stones "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time". Born in San Francisco California to a Filipino mother and an Irish Merchant marine father.

Cheryl Bautista Burke (born May 1, 1984) is a two time Emmy nominated professional dancer. As the professional dancer partner, she won the competition in the second and third seasons of ABC's American version of Dancing with the Stars with celebrity dance partners Drew Lachey (February 2006) and Emmitt Smith (November 2006). She was the first professional dancer to win two Dancing with the Stars championships and in any competition. (Julianne Hough followed with two back-to-back championships in seasons 4 and 5). She is of Filipino, Russian, and Irish descent.

Diane Monique Lhuillier (born 1971 in Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines) is a Filipino fashion designer based in the United States.

actually the list could go on and on and on... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Filipino_Americans)

and that is just the USA.. there is also a list for UK and other countries.

There are also asteriods and planets named in honor of some notable Filipinos: http://www.filipiniana.net:8080/blogsphere/?p=102

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ultimate Fighting Championship fighter Brandon VeraBrandon Vera

Vera has a tattoo on his back, inked in the Filipino writing system called Alibata. Clockwise, it reads mundo (earth), hangin (wind), apoy (fire), and tubig (water).[8]

While staying in the Philippines, he trained Filipino actor, Richard Gutierrez, in martial arts and has been given a role as an assassin for Philippine primetime television show, Kamandag on the GMA Network.

My trip to see my Pangga 664374hddh5drbsw.gif

K-1 Fiancee Visa Process

Service Center..............Vermont Consulate.....................Manila

Event Timeline

I-129F Sent to VSC............................................8-Mar-08

I-129F Received by VSC...................................10-Mar-08

I-129F NOA 1...................................................11-Mar-08

I-129F NOA 2...................................................4 May 2008

NVC letter dated...............................................12 May 2008

Consulate Received..........................................20 May 2008

Called made interview appointment...................21 May 2008

Paid VISA processing fee/validated DS form.......4 June 2008

Paid DELBROS document verification fee.............23 May 2008

Medical Appt.....................................................12 June 2008 (had to have follow on appt on 26 June, day 2 of Medical on 3 July)

Interview Date..................................................To be determined by St Lukes, interview re-scheduled on 11 July

VISA Delivered..................................................18 June 2008 315pm

CFO Seminar.......................................................5 Sep 2008

CFO Registration / stamp......................................5 Sep 2008

POE Washington DC.............................................17 Sep 2008

Wedding..............................................................26 Sep 2008

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Victoria Recaño is an Emmy Award-winning American television personality, best known for being a correspondent on such programs as The Insider and Inside Edition. Recaño was born in St. Louis, Missouri, one of six children. Her father was Filipino and Spanish having emigrated to the United States to pursue a career in medicine.

:thumbs: She is hawt! :yes:

victoria-recano.jpg

Can't forget my stepson's favorite wrestler....Bautista! :thumbs:

Batista-wwe-06.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Inventor of Incubator

Fe del Mundo, the first Asian to have entered the prestigious Harvard University's School of Medicine, is also credited for her studies that led to the invention of incubator and jaundice relieving device. Del Mundo, an International Pediatric Association (IPA) awardee, is an alumna of the University of the Philippines (UP) College of Medicine. Since 1941, she has contributed more than 100 articles to medical journals in the U.S., Philippines and India. In 1966, she received the Elizabeth Blackwell Award, for her "outstanding service to mankind". In 1977, she was bestowed the Ramon Magsaysay Award for outstanding public service.

Videophone Inventor

Gregorio Zara of Lipa City and a graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology invented the videophone and developed the Zara Effect or Electrical Kinetic Resistance.

Mole Remover

In 2000, Rolando dela Cruz developed an ingenuous formula that could easily remove deeply grown moles or warts from the skin without leaving marks or hurting the patient. His formula was extracted from cashew nut (Annacardium occidentale), which is common in the Philippines. The formula won for dela Cruz a gold medal in International Invention, Innovation, Industrial Design and Technology Exhibition in Kuala Lumpur in September 2000. In March 1997, dela Cruz established RCC Amazing Touch International Inc., which runs clinics engaged "in a non-surgical removal of warts, moles and other skin growths, giving the skin renewed energy and vitality without painful and costly surgery."

Source: Filipino Trivia

diosdado banatao founded S3 graphics.. :thumbs:

diosdado banatao wiki

S3 graphics wiki

:blush:

Edited by envy_me

"i don't know much about love but i know that i love him.."

jovito salonga.. turned down a yale university faculty position offer!

taray ng lolo nyo! :lol:

"After passing the bar, he went back to the U.P. College of Law where he earned an LL.B in 1946. He traveled to the U.S. when he won a scholarship to attend Harvard for his master's degree. Recommended by Harvard professor Manley Hudson to Yale Law School, he was awarded a fellowship at Yale University where he earned a doctorate (JSD) in 1949. He however turned down their offer of a faculty position because he felt he should participate in his country's post-war reconstruction. He was honored with the Ambrose Gherini prize for writing the best paper in international law."

jovito salonga wiki

Edited by envy_me

Inventor of Incubator

Fe del Mundo, the first Asian to have entered the prestigious Harvard University's School of Medicine, is also credited for her studies that led to the invention of incubator and jaundice relieving device. Del Mundo, an International Pediatric Association (IPA) awardee, is an alumna of the University of the Philippines (UP) College of Medicine. Since 1941, she has contributed more than 100 articles to medical journals in the U.S., Philippines and India. In 1966, she received the Elizabeth Blackwell Award, for her "outstanding service to mankind". In 1977, she was bestowed the Ramon Magsaysay Award for outstanding public service.

she was my pediatrician at children's hospital in banawe, quezon city.. :blush: :blush: :blush:

Filed: Timeline
Ultimate Fighting Championship fighter Brandon VeraBrandon Vera

Vera has a tattoo on his back, inked in the Filipino writing system called Alibata. Clockwise, it reads mundo (earth), hangin (wind), apoy (fire), and tubig (water).[8]

While staying in the Philippines, he trained Filipino actor, Richard Gutierrez, in martial arts and has been given a role as an assassin for Philippine primetime television show, Kamandag on the GMA Network.

very happy to see him come down to the 205lb weight class. i can see him fighting for the title within a year.

7yqZWFL.jpg

diosdado banatao founded S3 graphics.. :thumbs:

diosdado banatao wiki

S3 graphics wiki

:blush:

in addition to this reply.. :blush:

Diosdado Banatao, a native of Iguig, Cagayan and an electrical engineering graduate from Mapua Institute of Technology in Manila is credited for eight major contributions to the Information Technology. Banatao is most known for introducing the first single-chip graphical user interface accelerator that made computers work a lot faster and for helping develop the Ethernet controller chip that made Internet possible. In 1989, he pioneered the local bus concept for personal computers and in the following year developed the First Windows accelerator chip. Intel is now using the chips and technologies developed by Banatao. He now runs his own semiconductor company, Mostron and Chips & Technology, which is based in California's Silicon Valley. (Source: Filipinas Magazine)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.