jeffcloe

Wrong Spelling & Typo in Philippine Birth Certificates

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Many Filipinos have this uncomfortable experience of seeing typographical errors, wrong spellings and even discrepancy in their Philippine birth certificate and such typos make it more difficult to apply for legal documents particularly passports and visas. I have this kind of problem now and I might as well share this piece of information I found to those who are also curious on how to deal with these errors on our BC.

Original source: Republic Act 9048

What You Need

To Know

About

Republic Act 9048

Act Authorizing the C/MCR or Consul General

to Correct a Clerical or Typographical Error

in an Entry and/or Change of First Name

or Nickname in the Civil Register

Without Need of a Judicial

Order

WHAT IS REPUBLIC ACT 9048?

Republic Act (RA) 9048 authorizes the city or municipal civil registrar or the consul general to correct a clerical or typographical error in an entry and/or change the first name or nickname in the civil register without need of a judicial order.

RA 9048 amends Articles 376 and 412 of the Civil Code of the Philippines, which prohibit the change of name or surname of a person, or any correction or change of entry in a civil register without a judicial order.

President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo approved the act on 22 March 2001. With the law taking effect on 22 April 2001, the Civil Registrar-General promulgated Administrative Order No. 1 Series of 2001, which was published in the newspaper in August that year.

WHAT CORRECTIONS CAN BE MADE BY RA 9048?

RA 9048 allows these corrections:

# correction of clerical or typographical errors in any entry in civil registry documents, except corrections involving the change in sex, age, nationality and status of a person.

(A clerical or typographical error refers to an obvious mistake committed in clerical work, either in writing, copying, transcribing, or typing an entry in the civil register that is harmless and innocuous, such as a misspelled name or misspelled place of birth and the like, and can be corrected or changed only by reference to other existing record or records.)

# change of a person's first name in his/her civil registry document under certain grounds specified under the law through administrative process.

WHO MAY FILE THE PETITION?

Whether it is for correction of clerical or typographical error, or for change of first name, the petition may be filed by a person of legal age who must have a direct and personal interest in the correction of the error or in the change of first name in the civil register.

A person is considered of legal age when he is eighteen years old and above. Thus, a minor (less than eighteen years old) cannot by himself file a petition, either for correction of clerical or typographical error or for change of his first name.

Only the following persons are considered to have a direct and personal interest in the correction of clerical error or change of first name:

1. Owner of the record that contains the error to be corrected or first name to be changed

2. Owner's spouse, children, parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, guardian, or any other person duly authorized by law or by the owner of the document sought to be corrected.

WHAT SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED FOR CORRECTING A CLERICAL OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERROR IN A CIVIL REGISTRY DOCUMENT?

The petition shall not be processed unless the petitioner supports it with the required documents. The supporting documents should be authentic and genuine, otherwise, the petition shall be denied or disapproved pursuant to Rule 5.8 of Administrative Order No. 1, S. 2001. The following supporting documents are admissible as basic requirements:

1. Certified machine copy of the certificate containing the alleged erroneous entry or entries

2. Not less than 2 public or private documents upon which the correction shall be based. Examples of these documents are the following: baptismal certificate, voter's affidavit, employment record, GSIS/SSS record, medical record, school record, business record, driver's license, insurance, land titles, certificate of land transfer, bank passbook, NBI/police clearance, civil registry records of ascendants, and others.

3. Notice and Certificate of Posting

4. Certified machine copy of the Official Receipt of the filing fee

5. Other documents as may be required by the City/Municipal Civil Registrar (C/MCR)

WHAT ARE THE SUPPORTING PAPERS FOR CHANGE OF FIRST NAME?

As in the case of correction of clerical error, no petition for change of first name shall be accepted unless the petitioner submits the required supporting papers, as follows:

1. All the documents required of the petitioner for the correction of clerical error shall also be required of the petitioner for change of first name.

2. Clearance from authorities such as clearance from employer, if employed; the National Bureau of Investigation; the Philippine National Police; and other clearances as may be required by the concerned C/MCR.

3. Proof of Publication. An affidavit of publication from the publisher and copy of the newspaper clippings should be attached.

HOW MUCH IS THE FEE IN FILING A PETITION?

The C/MCR and the District/Circuit Registrar (D/CR) are authorized to collect from every petitioner the following rates of filing fees:

* One thousand pesos (P1,000.00) for the correction of clerical error

* Three thousand pesos (P3,000.00) for the change of first name

In the case of a petition filed with the Consul General (CG), the fees are the same for all Philippine Consulates. The fees are the following:

* Fifty U.S. dollars ($50.00) for the correction of clerical or typographical error

* One hundred fifty U.S. dollars ($150.00) for the change of first name

A migrant petitioner shall pay an additional service fee to the Petition Receiving Civil Registrar (PRCR).

This service fee shall accrue to the local treasury of the PRCR.

* Five hundred pesos (P500.00) for correction of clerical or typographical error

* One thousand pesos (P1,000.00) for change of first name

WHERE SHOULD THE PETITION BE FILED?

The general rule is that petition shall be filed with the Local Civil Registry Office (LCRO) where the record containing the clerical error to be corrected or first name to be changed is kept. Included in this general rule is the case of the Office of the Clerk of Shari'a Court where records of divorces, revocations of divorces, conversions to Islam are kept and where some Muslim marriages are registered.

However, in case the petitioner is a migrant within or outside the Philippines, meaning his present residence or domicile is different from where his civil registry record or records are registered, he may file the petition in the nearest LCRO in his area. His petition will be treated as a migrant petition.

For we walk by faith, not by sight.

II Corinthians 5:7

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
thanks for this very informative post :thumbs:

My son named Zac

"My son's smile makes my day complete"

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

06.17.2010 - submitted our papers

06.19.2010 - papers arrived at Chicago lockbox

06.24.2010 - Check cashed

06.28.2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (9 days from the day they got our papers)

07.05.2010 - Received Biometrics Schedule (July 26)

08.05.2010 - Biometrics done! (had to re-schedule from 7/26 to 8/5)

08.13.2010 - Got my interview letter

08.20.2010 - EAD card on production

09.06.2010 - Got my EAD Card (62 days)

09.07.2010 - Applied for SSN

09.14.2010 - SSN Card received

09.16.2010 - Interview schedule (APPROVED)

09.20.2010 - Welcome Notice Received ("Welcome to the USA")

09.25.2010 - 10 yr Green Card received! (98 days)

Timeline

Your welcome pink (na maypagka bluegreen haha), I had a conversation with Marie (allrightsreserved) about Baptismal then I asked how to correct mine, sabi nya dapat i-correct ko muna BC ko hahaha so nagising ako sa katotohanan na dapat ko na i-correct ang BC ko hahaha so I'll be processing this Monday next week... :)

Thanks Marie for reminding about these stuffs that I needed to do hahaha wala ako ginagawa kundi mag wait ng NOA2 ayyyyy... :yes:

Timeline

Your welcome pink (na maypagka bluegreen haha), I had a conversation with Marie (allrightsreserved) about Baptismal then I asked how to correct mine, sabi nya dapat i-correct ko muna BC ko hahaha so nagising ako sa katotohanan na dapat ko na i-correct ang BC ko hahaha so I'll be processing this Monday next week... :)

Thanks Marie for reminding about these stuffs that I needed to do hahaha wala ako ginagawa kundi mag wait ng NOA2 ayyyyy... :yes:

lol loka loka ka talaga anyway, may alam ka bang source or info kung ang may mali naman is about marriage cert?

My son named Zac

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

Timeline

lol loka loka ka talaga anyway, may alam ka bang source or info kung ang may mali naman is about marriage cert?

:D wala pa pinkkkk (with bluegreen) but once may nakita ako will message u again... haha

PS: mahirap pala mag effort mag lagay ng colors hahaha

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

haba ng post ni sis Cloe ah!! kalokang basahin.Hala Pink! ano ba nagkamali sa marriage certificate mo? nagkapalit ba? :rofl: Joke lang sis, tawa ka lang dyan ha. Kita mo kami ni Cloe, kahit wala pa NOA2 tawa lang ng tawa, haha! Sa Philippine forum ba 'to? panay ang tagalog ko. ayy, bahala sila.hehe.

Our Medical Experience

K1/K2 Interview Experience

glitterfy-flpbk9170423469534.gif

AOS/EAD/AP

09/11/09 *** Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

09/12/09 *** Received/signed by R.Mercado

09/17/09 *** NOA1 (AOS/EAD/AP)

09/21/09 *** NOA1 Hardcopy received (AOS/EAD/AP)

09/24/09 *** Biometrics Appointment Letter Rcvd 10/19, 11am

09/29/09 *** Appt. to correct typographic name error (referred for biometrics..done)

10/06/09 *** RFE: Form 1040 of recent tax yr

10/20/09 *** Processing resumed

10/21/09 *** Touched (AOS/EAD/AP)

10/22/09 *** Touched (AOS/EAD/AP)

10/27/09 *** Transferred to CSC (AOS)

10/28/09 *** Touched(AOS)

10/29/09 *** Notices sent: EAD card production, AP approved

10/30/09 *** Touched (EAD/AP)

11/02/09 *** Touched (AOS: processing resumes at CSC)

11/02/09 *** Touched (AP)

11/03/09 *** Touched (AP)

11/04/09 *** AP approval letter received

11/03/09 *** Card production (EAD)

11/04/09 *** Touched (AOS)

11/05/09 *** Touched (EAD)

11/06/09 *** Touched (AOS)

11/07/09 *** EAD Card received

12/07/09 *** Welcome Notice mailed

12/08/09 *** Card production (AOS)

12/10/09 *** Approval notice mailed

12/12/09 *** GREEN CARD received

Timeline

haba ng post ni sis Cloe ah!! kalokang basahin.Hala Pink! ano ba nagkamali sa marriage certificate mo? nagkapalit ba? :rofl: Joke lang sis, tawa ka lang dyan ha. Kita mo kami ni Cloe, kahit wala pa NOA2 tawa lang ng tawa, haha! Sa Philippine forum ba 'to? panay ang tagalog ko. ayy, bahala sila.hehe.

ung age ng hubby ko bumata ng 1 year pero tama naman yung birthdate nya ung computation lang ng age. ewan ko ba ba't ganun lol

My son named Zac

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

AOS TIMELINE

Timeline

In my case, I lined up at the DFA at 2 am only to be informed that my place of birth does not indicate the city where I was born, even though the municipality is indicated in the upper left hand corner. i had to have a supplemental Place of birth affidavit notarized, then i had to submit it to the city hall. i had to wait several weeks for that. after picking it up, i had to submit it to the NSO. again, a wait of several weeks for NSO to produce the annotated birth certificate. it cost me around P750 and a huge headache.

In my case, I lined up at the DFA at 2 am only to be informed that my place of birth does not indicate the city where I was born, even though the municipality is indicated in the upper left hand corner. i had to have a supplemental Place of birth affidavit notarized, then i had to submit it to the city hall. i had to wait several weeks for that. after picking it up, i had to submit it to the NSO. again, a wait of several weeks for NSO to produce the annotated birth certificate. it cost me around around 1K and a huge headache.

I-130 Sent : 2008-04-08

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-04-14

touched: 2008-04-28

touched: 2008-05-12

touched: 2008-06-20

APPROVED: 2008-06-23

IR1 abandoned.

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-28

touched: 2008-05-13

touched: 2008-06-20

APPROVED: 2008-06-23

NOA2 received in mail: 2008-06-26 (*still pending on website*)

I-129F left NVC on the way to the US Embassy in Manila: 2008-07-02

received snail mail from NVC that I-129F has been sent to the US Embassy in Manila: 07-07-2008

Date consulate received I-129F: 2008-07-08

2008-07-11: Called US embassy to set up appointment

2008-07-14: paid DELBROS doc verification fee at Metrobank and immigrant visa fee at BPI

2008-07-17: MEDICAL; referred to psych evaluation due to scars

2008-07-24: PSYCH Evaluation

2008-07-28: Result ready, asked to come back anytime for immunization

2008-07-29: IMMUNIZATION

INTERVIEW: 2008-08-04; pink slip (delbros delivery receipt)

2008-08-06: Received text from Delbros that they will deliver my visa tomorrow or within 2 days

2008-08-08: Received my passport w/ visa and Visa packet. Hooray!

2008-09-04: Departure Date. port of entry: sunny Honolulu!

i love my darling!

My I-129f was approved in 62 days from my filing date.

My I-130 was approved in 76 days from my filing date.

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small, it inflames the great." ~Comte de Bussy-Rabutin (1618-1693)

Timeline
In my case, I lined up at the DFA at 2 am only to be informed that my place of birth does not indicate the city where I was born, even though the municipality is indicated in the upper left hand corner. i had to have a supplemental Place of birth affidavit notarized, then i had to submit it to the city hall. i had to wait several weeks for that. after picking it up, i had to submit it to the NSO. again, a wait of several weeks for NSO to produce the annotated birth certificate. it cost me around P750 and a huge headache.

In my case, I lined up at the DFA at 2 am only to be informed that my place of birth does not indicate the city where I was born, even though the municipality is indicated in the upper left hand corner. i had to have a supplemental Place of birth affidavit notarized, then i had to submit it to the city hall. i had to wait several weeks for that. after picking it up, i had to submit it to the NSO. again, a wait of several weeks for NSO to produce the annotated birth certificate. it cost me around around 1K and a huge headache.

1K and a huge headache is a bad combination, sorry to hear that. I don't like the "several weeks of waiting" and the "huge headache" and the "1k" but these are really a part of this process hahaha ayyyy I have to prepare my self next week for this haha!

Thanks for sharing...

Timeline

Pinkkk, the way I understand it, RA 9048 can also change typo errors on Marriage Certificate but except corrections involving the change in sex, age, nationality and status of a person.

This legal forum might help you Click Here There is someone there who asked about changing his birthday date sa marriage certificate nya, medyo bago yung question nya and wala pa response, you can check it once in a while or post your own case there...

Hope you find an answer...

and...

Keep smiling, God will guide you with your pending Medical Exam...

Edited by jeffcloe

Timeline

Pinkkk, the way I understand it, RA 9048 can also change typo errors on Marriage Certificate but except corrections involving the change in sex, age, nationality and status of a person.

This legal forum might help you Click Here There is someone there who asked about changing his birthday date sa marriage certificate nya, medyo bago yung question nya and wala pa response, you can check it once in a while or post your own case there...

and...

o thank you so much cloe. isa kang huwarang researcher. MABUHAY KA! :thumbs: lolz!

My son named Zac

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

AOS TIMELINE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

1K and a huge headache is a bad combination, sorry to hear that. I don't like the "several weeks of waiting" and the "huge headache" and the "1k" but these are really a part of this process hahaha ayyyy I have to prepare my self next week for this haha!

Thanks for sharing...

You really have to prepare yourself for the possible headache that you'll be encountering regarding correcting errors on your BC,i had mine corrected thru RA9048,a one letter error on my last name and i've to put Ma. on my first name coz i've been using that eversince.it took 4mos before i got my annotated BC from NSO and it cost me less than 5K pesos.

As for the Baptismal Cert,i had mine annotated at the Arzobispado de Manila located at the back of Manila Cathedral.My name on my baptismal certificate is totally different from my BC and told me they cannot just follow the name on my BC since it was the name given to me by that time,so they just handed me a letter which i turned it over to our parish church and they just put a remarks(annotations) instead.

That was a real BIG headache on my part but i'm so glad it's all over now,i have here all my docs annonated :)

Timeline

Thanks for sharing...

You really have to prepare yourself for the possible headache that you'll be encountering regarding correcting errors on your BC,i had mine corrected thru RA9048,a one letter error on my last name and i've to put Ma. on my first name coz i've been using that eversince.it took 4mos before i got my annotated BC from NSO and it cost me less than 5K pesos.

As for the Baptismal Cert,i had mine annotated at the Arzobispado de Manila located at the back of Manila Cathedral.My name on my baptismal certificate is totally different from my BC and told me they cannot just follow the name on my BC since it was the name given to me by that time,so they just handed me a letter which i turned it over to our parish church and they just put a remarks(annotations) instead.

That was a real BIG headache on my part but i'm so glad it's all over now,i have here all my docs annonated :)

Hi thanks for this info.

I have one letter error on my last name (just that)... Really I have to wait 4 months? We are expecting NOA2 this month or next month (God willing)... If I start fixing it now and it will not be annotated in time for interview, what will be the possible problems it might cause?

(BTW: My passport has my last name corrected way back...)

Thanks for the inputs...

Timeline

and...

o thank you so much cloe. isa kang huwarang researcher. MABUHAY KA! :thumbs: lolz!

:lol: hinde sumagi sa isip mo ang tagalog ng researcher noh? :lol:

Timeline
ahahaha oo nga eh ,., nahirapan ako dun lol ,., ano nga ba yun? *scratches head* mananaliksik? ahahaha ewan!

My son named Zac

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

AOS TIMELINE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.