antda

I-751 Questions about mailing, card, travel, and updates...

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

It will be in another week or so that I submit my I751 paperwork, and in the meantime I was wondering about the answers to the following questions:

1) What is the most economical and fastest way to mail the I-751 application package, in a way so that I can verify that they received it?

2) What exactly does the USCIS require a person do with the 2 year conditional green card after it's expired? Do I have to give it mail it back to them (in this case, I'll have to make an extra copy beforehand), either after the I-751 case is approved or after citizenship? Or can I keep it for as long as I want to forever as momento/souvenir of my immigration journey?

3) Can I travel to Canada on an unexpired 2 yr green card while my case I-751 case is pending? Can I travel too, before I recieve the NOA? Or will I have to wait until I get my NOA before I go there?

4) I've read the updated list (for Vermont, which is where I'll be sending the paperwork to), though I notice that not very many people on the list post when they have their case approved/when they get their 10yr green card. Does anyone know nowadays how long it takes between getting the biometrics done and finally getting approved for the 10yr card? How long too, is the entire process of the I-751 from beginning to end (sending it in, NOA, biometrics, approval) for applicants with their cases to Vermont?

Any information, comments, insight, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ant (Sitting on completed I-751 paperwork, waiting to send it in soon on 8/18/08)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

1) Your best bet is probably USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation (about $4). If you have a large package, put it in a Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope. With Delivery Confirmation, you'll get a tracking number so you can verify when the package was received.

2) Keep the card. The expired GC + NOA combo is your proof of status while your application is pending. Once you receive your 10-year card, I suppose you can keep the 2-year one as a memento.

3) If you return to the US before your GC expires, you are, of course, free to travel without a NOA. Once your GC expires, you'll need your NOA (or I-551 stamp, if you do not receive your NOA in time) for travel.

4) Dunno about VSC :).

US Citizen since August 09.

Hi Radacos,

Thanks for your reply to my I-751 questions. Here is my reply to your answers: 1) Note: USPS Priority with Delivery Confirmation. Got it. My package is about 100+ pages or so, so hopefully that's not to big of a package to send for $4 or so (definately not expensive at all). Delivery Confirmation with a tracking number is definately a good thing to have. 2)Lol...it looks like I have another momento/souvenir to keep and add to my ever-growing pile of immigration paperwork and junk. And all this time, I thought they would want this (very expensive) souvenir 2yr green card back. Hmmm..maybe I should frame it or something (just kidding) 3) Yes, I'll return before the GC expires, so I won't have to worry about that. Actually my trips to Canada are really only day trips across the border to go shopping (Canadian Smarties, anyone?), visiting places, and stuff like that. Glad to know though, that I can travel to Canada with a valid conditional green card within the next few weeks before I get the NOA. Nevertheless, when I get the NOA I'll bring it along with me, just in case. 4) Likewise, I don't know about the VSC either. Anyone other VJers know the answer to this?

Ant

1) Your best bet is probably USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation (about $4). If you have a large package, put it in a Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope. With Delivery Confirmation, you'll get a tracking number so you can verify when the package was received.

2) Keep the card. The expired GC + NOA combo is your proof of status while your application is pending. Once you receive your 10-year card, I suppose you can keep the 2-year one as a memento.

3) If you return to the US before your GC expires, you are, of course, free to travel without a NOA. Once your GC expires, you'll need your NOA (or I-551 stamp, if you do not receive your NOA in time) for travel.

4) Dunno about VSC :) .

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Hi Everyone,

It will be in another week or so that I submit my I751 paperwork, and in the meantime I was wondering about the answers to the following questions:

1) What is the most economical and fastest way to mail the I-751 application package, in a way so that I can verify that they received it?

2) What exactly does the USCIS require a person do with the 2 year conditional green card after it's expired? Do I have to give it mail it back to them (in this case, I'll have to make an extra copy beforehand), either after the I-751 case is approved or after citizenship? Or can I keep it for as long as I want to forever as momento/souvenir of my immigration journey?

3) Can I travel to Canada on an unexpired 2 yr green card while my case I-751 case is pending? Can I travel too, before I recieve the NOA? Or will I have to wait until I get my NOA before I go there?

4) I've read the updated list (for Vermont, which is where I'll be sending the paperwork to), though I notice that not very many people on the list post when they have their case approved/when they get their 10yr green card. Does anyone know nowadays how long it takes between getting the biometrics done and finally getting approved for the 10yr card? How long too, is the entire process of the I-751 from beginning to end (sending it in, NOA, biometrics, approval) for applicants with their cases to Vermont?

Any information, comments, insight, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ant (Sitting on completed I-751 paperwork, waiting to send it in soon on 8/18/08)

Timeframe may depend on amount of evidence you submit and whether USCIS requires an interview or not.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Hi Haole,

Thanks for your reply. Lol..is 100+ pages of evidence enough for the USCIS? As for an interview, if it is anything like the quick and simple AOS interview, then I'm probably not too worried about it. I also heard too that I-751 interviews are rare (more so for quality control/statistics, or if there are any problematic cases), so I'm guessing that more likely than not, I won't get an interview. But if I do, I have more than enough evidence, and what I believe is a good case. And the only thing I probably have to worry about, if I do have an interview, is having enough in gas to get to the local CIS office (which is not local for me, really).

Ant

Timeframe may depend on amount of evidence you submit and whether USCIS requires an interview or not.
Edited by AntandD

Hi Haole,

Thanks for your reply. Lol..is 100+ pages of evidence enough for the USCIS? As for an interview, if it is anything like the quick and simple AOS interview, then I'm probably not too worried about it. I also heard too that I-751 interviews are rare (more so for quality control/statistics, or if there are any problematic cases), so I'm guessing that more likely than not, I won't get an interview. But if I do, I have more than enough evidence, and what I believe is a good case. And the only thing I probably have to worry about, if I do have an interview, is having enough in gas to get to the local CIS office (which is not local for me, really).

Ant

I'm hoping we aren't required to have an interview also. Cost us over $1000 for us to make a trip to the USCIS office. On another island and we have to fly there and hotel it.

Guarens we'll have to do one for biometrics. May just send the wife by herself for biometrics this time.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Hi Haole,

Oh my, $1000 is certainly a lot of money to go to the local USCIS office. Isn't there a local USCIS office closer to where you live? Is there a way you can get the USCIS to reinburse you for your travel expenses, as it doesn't seem fair that you would have to travel all that way and spend that much extra money for immigration matters. After all, it's not your fault that they have their offices so far away from where you life. Hope too, especially for costs sake, that you don't have an interview for the I751 either.

Ant

P.S. By the way, what exactly is a CR-6 and CR-7 visa? And how come you had to go through so many visas (5) for your situation(s)?

I'm hoping we aren't required to have an interview also. Cost us over $1000 for us to make a trip to the USCIS office. On another island and we have to fly there and hotel it.

Guarens we'll have to do one for biometrics. May just send the wife by herself for biometrics this time.

Edited by AntandD

Hi Haole,

Oh my, $1000 is certainly a lot of money to go to the local USCIS office. Isn't there a local USCIS office closer to where you live? Is there a way you can get the USCIS to reinburse you for your travel expenses, as it doesn't seem fair that you would have to travel all that way and spend that much extra money for immigration matters. After all, it's not your fault that they have their offices so far away from where you life. Hope too, especially for costs sake, that you don't have an interview for the I751 either.

Ant

P.S. By the way, what exactly is a CR-6 and CR-7 visa? And how come you had to go through so many visas (5) for your situation(s)?

CR6 Spouse of a U.S. citizen - conditional. CR7 Stepchild of a U.S. citizen . Started with K3/K4. When adjusted status got CR6/CR7. K1 was denied.

Im not holding my breath waiting for USCIS togive us a refund!!! :whistle:

!! ALL PAU!

Hi Haole,

Ahh..I learn something new each day. Now I know more about the different visas, especially about the CR7 visa that I didn't know of before. Good luck too, with your stepchild/child's immigration situation. I'm assuming that a K4 visa is the visa you had for your stepchild/child too, before they got their green card? Sorry that yout K1 visa was denied before. Nevertheless, glad that you made it here to the US with your K3 and your stepchild/child K4 visas.

Lol...I should have known before what a CR6 visa is, as that's what stated on my 2yr conditional green card now. Silly me, I didn't check before. What's the deal the the number "6" after "CR (Conditional Resident, I'm assuming that means)"?

I wonder too what type of a visa is stated/listed on a 10yr unconditional green card?

Don't hold your breath too long waiting for a refund...lol...Don't worry, there might be a way you can get reinbursed for some of those expenses. Have you ever asked the USCIS about some sort of reinbursement?

Ant

CR6 Spouse of a U.S. citizen - conditional. CR7 Stepchild of a U.S. citizen . Started with K3/K4. When adjusted status got CR6/CR7. K1 was denied.

Im not holding my breath waiting for USCIS togive us a refund!!! :whistle:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.