gingerblue

Need appraisal for co-sponsor's assets?

25 posts in this topic

You're fine with just the equity in his house. It is just as usuable of an asset as your parents' house, and I'm guessing he already has a recent evaluation since you're in the middle of selling.

I really hope boiler elaborates on the "few thousand" thing. I've never heard of them looking for less income/assets with the K1 than with the CR1/IR1.

I assumed the same and wondered why the lack of interest in my assets.

Found out later it was ?3,000 they needed, which makes sense as its a 90 day non immigrant visa.

Been quite a few posts over the years on this.

You can not self sponsor the 864 but by that time your assets would co-mingled so not usually an issue.

For AoS most adjudicators just like to see Income form USC.

Oh, I see. That's interesting that they would actually think something rather logical! That would be great for the OP to confirm the current amount because that would really take the pain of out this part of the process for them.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Wow, most excellent. You guys gave some wonderful advice. Thank you all so much!!

Yes, I realize the I-134 and the I-864 are different. But after reading VJ for so long, I begin to confuse what the embassy will want and what I read on here. There is such incredible misinformation on this very topic.

I'm not worried about the actual dollar amount, because the equity in his house is greater than 125% for five people for three years. So as long as a statement of the value/mortgage/equity of the house can be provided to the embassy then apparently it will be sufficient for London's purposes. If this asset can be used for the embassy then we're good to go and won't need a co-sponsor at that point.

A related question, then, is will it matter that the asset is not held in the US? (obviously not) But it's one of the things you see on VJ, that assets don't count unless they're US funds. The London embassy site does mention that you should include your plans for how to transfer the money to the US. So I assume they are understanding that anyone in this situation is transitioning their assets. Which we will want to do the minute that darn house sells.

Okay, lets fast forward a bit. On to the AOS part. Let's assume the house DOESN'T sell by then. Can we use it as an asset for the AOS procedure? I realize that yes, the beneficiary's assets can be used in the I-864. But is there a requirement that they're in US funds? Will UK owned real estate count for this?

And yes, everyone says that the USC's income is what the AOS people want to see. But that's not gonna happen. Even if I were to get a job making that kind of money, I wouldn't have a history of it for the last several years. I need to do this on assets (and a small amount of income that I do have). My parents will co-sponsor if necessary, of course, but if it's not necessary I don't want to go there. And if my fiance's assets in UK real estate counts, then I won't need a co-sponsor at all. See, another option is to rent out the house and not sell it at all until the market gets better. It's still an asset, in my eyes it should count, but I guess I need to know if it will count at AOS time.

Madly and wildly in love

Life is best when shared with your soulmate.

Mailed I-129F: March 19, 2008

NOA-1: March 24, 2008

NOA-2: August 5, 2008

Packet 3: August 21, 2008

Medical: September 1, 2008

Returned Packet 3: September 6, 2008

Received Packet 4: September 22, 2008

Interview: October 21, 2008 APPROVED!!!!!

Moved to the US: November 28, 2008

Married!!!: February 20, 2009

Filed for AOS, AP, AED: July 24, 2009

NOA for all three: July 28, 2009

Transferred to CSC: August 20, 2009

Biometrics appt: August 27, 2009

AP letter: September 14, 2009

EAD card: September 18, 2009

AOS approved: September 29, 2009

Green Card Received: October 5, 2009

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You do not need to have a history of earnings, its what you earn at the moment.

Never seen it mentioned here that it matters what currency they are in, as long as that currency is negotiable.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You do not need to have a history of earnings, its what you earn at the moment.

Never seen it mentioned here that it matters what currency they are in, as long as that currency is negotiable.

I thought for the AOS (I-864), they wanted a history of earnings. I think three years of tax returns, correct?

And I would expect currency would be fine (cash in a foreign bank, for instance) but what about foreign real estate? (It's negotiable and liquid if the darned market would behave!!!) I am referring to the AOS part, now. I know real estate works for the embassy phase. In London at least.

Madly and wildly in love

Life is best when shared with your soulmate.

Mailed I-129F: March 19, 2008

NOA-1: March 24, 2008

NOA-2: August 5, 2008

Packet 3: August 21, 2008

Medical: September 1, 2008

Returned Packet 3: September 6, 2008

Received Packet 4: September 22, 2008

Interview: October 21, 2008 APPROVED!!!!!

Moved to the US: November 28, 2008

Married!!!: February 20, 2009

Filed for AOS, AP, AED: July 24, 2009

NOA for all three: July 28, 2009

Transferred to CSC: August 20, 2009

Biometrics appt: August 27, 2009

AP letter: September 14, 2009

EAD card: September 18, 2009

AOS approved: September 29, 2009

Green Card Received: October 5, 2009

Timeline

Income and tax returns are seperate issues.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Oh geez, you've gotten some confusing information here. The I-864 is for immigrant visas, not non-immigrant visas like the K1, and assets need to be five times the income when it's a joint sponsor. But you seem like you may already know that. Just wanted to make it clear for anyone else reading.

I'm sorry I can't help with your original question but wanted to ask about the equity in your fiance's house. If it's just the two of you and the equity in his house is more than $52,500 USD (about 26,500 GBP), then you don't have to wait for the house to sell.

Self sponsor for the K1, they only need to see a few thousand.

Ok I know that there is a lot of talk between the I-134 and the I-864 and not wanting to seem to be pedantic but having gone through this with London for the last four weeks and there insistence that the I-864 is completed . I feel that is the best advice that the form should be looked at and completed as a backup for the interview. We ended up doing a combination of my OH's tax return for last year and both our savings. I asked the embassy via email about self sponsoring as people on here had mentioned it and was again told we needed to complete the I-864.

I am not sure if London have changed of there requirements or procedures recently but as my OH's tax return was insufficient for last year that was what we were asked to provide over and over again, whether or not that is right of the embassy to do that - i dont know. But that was my experience of what the Embassy are requesting in July 2008.

Personally i would suggest you cover your bases and do both forms as the I-864 gives you an area to add your spouses equity and combine it with your own.

Kindest Regards

check out my time line and dont forget to update yours too :D

Oh geez, you've gotten some confusing information here. The I-864 is for immigrant visas, not non-immigrant visas like the K1, and assets need to be five times the income when it's a joint sponsor. But you seem like you may already know that. Just wanted to make it clear for anyone else reading.

I'm sorry I can't help with your original question but wanted to ask about the equity in your fiance's house. If it's just the two of you and the equity in his house is more than $52,500 USD (about 26,500 GBP), then you don't have to wait for the house to sell.

Self sponsor for the K1, they only need to see a few thousand.

Ok I know that there is a lot of talk between the I-134 and the I-864 and not wanting to seem to be pedantic but having gone through this with London for the last four weeks and there insistence that the I-864 is completed . I feel that is the best advice that the form should be looked at and completed as a backup for the interview. We ended up doing a combination of my OH's tax return for last year and both our savings. I asked the embassy via email about self sponsoring as people on here had mentioned it and was again told we needed to complete the I-864.

I am not sure if London have changed of there requirements or procedures recently but as my OH's tax return was insufficient for last year that was what we were asked to provide over and over again, whether or not that is right of the embassy to do that - i dont know. But that was my experience of what the Embassy are requesting in July 2008.

Personally i would suggest you cover your bases and do both forms as the I-864 gives you an area to add your spouses equity and combine it with your own.

Kindest Regards

The London embassy is insisting that you fill out the I-864 for a non-immigrant visa? How strange and confusing. :(

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

yes was very confusing - but is mainly due to there not being sufficient income shown on the I-134 for previous tax year, so they need to gather the evidence via another form. :(

check out my time line and dont forget to update yours too :D

Timeline

As a reason that makes no sense.

My guess would be that this is a one off, perhaps a new memeber of staffwho does not know what they are doing.

• 1 month later...

Very good answers to your questions-

Keep in mind that when including real estate as assets, they are not only looking for "A CURRENT APPRAISAL" but also the redempetion amount " as they say in the UK.

Altho we were on the IRI/CRI route, it was an issue and even tho everything was just fine, they wanted the redemption slip which hubbie left at home. They were not looking at USD even tho on our I-864a we showed conversion rate from pounds to dollars as of the date of completing the form.

You have no clue what they are going to want, and I have learned IMHO - the more the better to have when AOS or even interview time comes. Im not saying tis right nor wrong, but again, having what they might ask for saves you alot of stress and worry.

Have seen a few who were asked at time of interview on a K1 about this - just be prepared or should i say over prepared.

God Speed and Cheers

When something goes wrong remember this saying "WHEN MAN PLANS, GOD LAUGHS"

www.orlando4obama.com

I-130 JOURNEY BEGINSSent August 28, 2007 to TSC for receipting in CSCReceived NOA1 from VSC December 21, 2007

Notes - earned USCIS skymiles for sure - postmarked from Chicago Lockbox

online finally 2/24/08

touchy feely 2/25/08

touched 2/27/2008 - great RFE requested - just wonderful news to see in your inbox early in the am

3/13 - RFE letter FINALLY received - and document that we sent NOW resent back to VSC grrrrowling

3/19 case resumed processing

3/20 touched

3./21 touched

3/23 Easter bunny touched again

4/01 - APPROVED I-130

4/02 - touched

4/07 - received hard copy approval

NVC JOURNEY BEGINS

4/07 NV Case number assigned

4/08 AOS, DS and all fees paid online

6/09 tax transcript for 2007 just became available -whoot

6/20 NVC receives everything nothing more to give them now just close eyes and pray

6/23 NVC enters into system

6/26 NVC - RFE uggh - wants all three years of Federal tax return listed and they lost originals or so they say - DING DING ROUND TWO

7/25 NVC Case completed whooottttttttt

8/7 Case forward to US EMBASSY LONDON OH YEAHHHHHHHH -

Embassy - case out for delivery to embassy via DHL sneaky us lol

08/10Received

08/19 Medical Exam completed - healthy oh yeah!!!!!!!!

9/26 @8am -Interview - approved VISA IN HAND OMG WHOOT!!! HELLO AMERICA MY LUV

POE- Atlanta then MCO - October 15th with the cat "GIT" on board lol - POE SUPER SWEET

Husband home finally - god what a journey....but after 400+ days we made it

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.