cherylc522

affidavit of support

6 posts in this topic

my fiance works for a company where they dont really have a pay roll department or anything there, its all in a main headquarters in some other state, and I told him that all he needs to do is write up a letter on company letterhead and have a supervisor sign it, right?? well he is fighting me on it lol telling me that noone in his office has any access to what he makes or anything like that and that to get a letter like that he would have to go to the head office to get it, making a big deal about something so simple, but I was under the impression that he could just write it himself, although he doesn't know of any company letterhead that they have, but couldn't he just write it himself and have someone sign it? or does he need to call head office and have them get it for him?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
my fiance works for a company where they dont really have a pay roll department or anything there, its all in a main headquarters in some other state, and I told him that all he needs to do is write up a letter on company letterhead and have a supervisor sign it, right?? well he is fighting me on it lol telling me that noone in his office has any access to what he makes or anything like that and that to get a letter like that he would have to go to the head office to get it, making a big deal about something so simple, but I was under the impression that he could just write it himself, although he doesn't know of any company letterhead that they have, but couldn't he just write it himself and have someone sign it? or does he need to call head office and have them get it for him?

There are no real guidelines on who has to write it or sign it, I think if he includes the info below and he has someone sign it who they can call to verify it with, if they want to - that would be fine - say a manager or someone.

(2) Job Letters and Proof of Income . link

Pay stub(s) showing income for the most recent 6 months and letters from all current employers are no longer required as initial evidence. The applicant, however, may submit either or both of these items (1) in response to a request for additional evidence (RFE), or (2) with a Form I-864 if the applicant believes doing so would help establish that the sponsor meets the governing income/assets threshold.

If submitted, letters from current employers should show dates of employment, the nature of the job, wages or salary earned, number of hours/weeks worked, and prospects for future employment and advancement. It should be sufficient for the employer to say that the employment is of indefinite duration or words of similar effect. Promises of future employment are not required.

would it be a good idea then to just have him write the letter and have a manager sign it and also go ahead and have all his pay stubs with me too? do they usually call the work to check? or if i took the pay stubs would that be enough so they dont need to call?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
would it be a good idea then to just have him write the letter and have a manager sign it and also go ahead and have all his pay stubs with me too? do they usually call the work to check? or if i took the pay stubs would that be enough so they dont need to call?

It would appear to me that the closer you are to the poverty threshold, the more scrutiny they give your entire affadavite of support package. They seemed more interested in the tax returns/W-2s/paystubs then anything else. I would imagine if your husband hasn't been with his company for a significant time period that may present some more questioning...

Timeline

7/11/2007 - I-130 NO1A Hard Copy

8/13/2007 - Son Drayson born in Sudbury, Ontario.

9/6/2007 - I-129F NO1

10/15/2007 - Trip to Toronto for Dray's Consular Birth Abroad, SS application, and US passport

3/18/2008 - NOA2 for both I-129 and I-130!! No touches or email notifications at all!

4/2/2008 - estimated that NVC received

4/9/2008 - estimated that K-3 was sent from NVC to USEMontreal

4/16/2008 - Received hardcopy from NVC

4/16/2008 - Packet 3 Received

4/24/2008 - Packet 3 Sent to USEMontreal

7/14/2008 Interview in Montreal!!!!

7/17/2008 Visa received

7/18/2008 POE Sault Ste Marie Michigan

8/21/2008 moving day...back to Anchorage, Alaska!

4/20/2009 AOS granted, 10 year Green Card arrives, Social Security # given :)

ah ok i see, well we aren't near poverty, he makes more then enough to cover what we need, im just wondering what the best things to take are, do we need the letter or should i just take tax forms and pay stubs? or is the letter really required

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
ah ok i see, well we aren't near poverty, he makes more then enough to cover what we need, im just wondering what the best things to take are, do we need the letter or should i just take tax forms and pay stubs? or is the letter really required

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I believe the letter is required, but I doubt that they will do any more then glance at it unless the rest of your I-134 raises some questions. If I were you, I would do everything I could to get an accurate letter from his employer, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it if it was less then perfect.

Things I would include are date of hire, rank or position, if his work has health insurance, if he belongs to a pension or retirement plan, etc.

We took as much as we could gather, and probably went overboard. They only asked for the letter from the employer, pay stubs, and copies of the W-2s. Everything else (pension and SS statements, mortgage balances, investment holdings, bank statements) wasn't even asked for.

Timeline

7/11/2007 - I-130 NO1A Hard Copy

8/13/2007 - Son Drayson born in Sudbury, Ontario.

9/6/2007 - I-129F NO1

10/15/2007 - Trip to Toronto for Dray's Consular Birth Abroad, SS application, and US passport

3/18/2008 - NOA2 for both I-129 and I-130!! No touches or email notifications at all!

4/2/2008 - estimated that NVC received

4/9/2008 - estimated that K-3 was sent from NVC to USEMontreal

4/16/2008 - Received hardcopy from NVC

4/16/2008 - Packet 3 Received

4/24/2008 - Packet 3 Sent to USEMontreal

7/14/2008 Interview in Montreal!!!!

7/17/2008 Visa received

7/18/2008 POE Sault Ste Marie Michigan

8/21/2008 moving day...back to Anchorage, Alaska!

4/20/2009 AOS granted, 10 year Green Card arrives, Social Security # given :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.