Fatpossum

Health Insurance - Complete Novice

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi Guys,

I know, from looking at other posts, that health insurance is a topic that has been discussed time and time again so sorry to add to the pile but I am getting a little confused!

I am flying out to Mississippi in a couple of weeks and was originally planning on getting some temporary health insurance for a month or so until I got on to my fiancee's plan. However, Nikki's new job does not offer a family plan (its only a small independent book shop). So now it looks like I will have to get my own private plan until I get a job that offers insurance (I am planning on eventually getting a job with the local university as I know a few people there and hear that colleges, in general, offer good healthcare benefits, however, I'm a bit scared of applying for a "proper" full time on my 90 day work visa in case it expires before I get my EAD).

The only trouble is I basically have no idea what I am looking for, what coverage I need, what is a good price (they all look bloody expensive)....I don't even know what a deductable is! Could anyone give me an idiot proof guide to the healthcare system and suggest any decent companies in Mississippi?

I know Lansbury, in another post suggested this as a short term method:

"If you just want it for a short time it might be worth considering just getting insurance that covers emergency and hospital treatment and pay for any visits to the doctors office yourself. That would be cheaper if you are fit and well.

My niece used to sell medical insurance and I remember her saying that sort of policy was about 50% cheaper than buying full cover."

This seems like it could be a decent idea as I rarely get ill but, sods law, I'll break my leg, slip on some soap or catch pneumonia the minute I get out there.

I've got to say, I'm getting a little bit peeved about this whole healthcare situation, I have worked my ####### off this last year to save money to pay for the visa/adjustment process, save for our "proper wedding" next year, to pay 3 months of rent for a house I'm not even in yet whilst still paying for my one over here and to pay for plane tickets to come back at Christmas for a celebration for all my friends and family who wont be able to make it over next year. I have a bit left over and was looking at getting back into working for enjoyment for a few months (back to working in a kitchen, not the greatest pay, but my real passion) and just generally chilling out. Most the quotes I have been looking at are more than I will be paying in rent each month so it looks like going back to a job I hate to pay the bills.

But it'll all be worth it when I have my (very soon to be) Missus by my side.....:)

A deductible is like our insurance excess ;) I got insured for my travel and for three days from the Post Office for about 16 GBP and then when over here I got insured for a month on www.americanvisitorinsurance.com for about $30 - we're going to pay for that month by month until I go on Jeremy's :)

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.