Rodney n.

can you speak to a co about your case if you go too HCMC?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

i am going to go to vn and see if i can get anything done. i also want to make sure all documents requested are in order before we turn them in.do you have to make an appointment to see a co or you just demand too see one? :)

rodney

Edited by Rodney n.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
i am going to go to vn and see if i can get anything done. i also want to make sure all documents requested are in order before we turn them in.do you have to make an appointment to see a co or you just demand too see one? :)

rodney

Some have managed to make it in to see one by presenting themselves at the door. Usually they are denied access from what i have read on here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

YES, in theory, you can request to speak to the consulate officer, consular or even the embassador of your country while you're in a foreign land. The tricky part is: need to have legit/valid reason and purpose!

Yes, people have done this before! Personally, I met the consular of HCMC with Kim once before we even start the K-1 process... initially we planned to get married in Saigon and then apply for K-3. This prompted me to obtain a Birth Certificate Certification from HCMC, via my US Passport. Vietnamese government wants me to give them my BC and US Citizenship proof.... To get one of those while you're in VN, you just need to walk in HCMC with your Passport and $50 (few years back), you will be sworn in infront of the Consular that you are who you are and they issue a signed, sealed BC for you on the spot. But they did conduct a quick "stoke interview" with me and Kim. How we met blah blah blah, whose my dad/mom/brother? where do I work? where she went to school? What is our plans after we get married etc.?

NOTE: this was done due to the fact that I told the consular the reason why I need my BC Notification that I want to get married a Vietnam national in Saigon then bring her home, Philly baby! I would have gone K-3 route!

End up didn't need to go K-3 route, but when we submit our application for K-1, we did include that piece of BC Notification and Notice of Single Status from HCMC with our names and pictures in raised seals with the application. That def. helps our case since whoever review our case in HCMC would see their own consular's signature and seal on those documents. Just another layer of showing HCMC how serious we WERE before we arrived at their door with K-1 application :)

Long story shot, to answer your question: You can most certainly request for a meeting with C.O. to present and rebutal your case. Just email HCMC and make an appointment. Say you'll be in Saigon in Sept 10-30, need to meet with C.O. please let me know his availablility :) I'll be there and you can ask me any question.

Good luck and stop stressing out Rodney, you need to stay focus more so than ever! :thumbs:

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Timeline
YES, in theory, you can request to speak to the consulate officer, consular or even the embassador of your country while you're in a foreign land. The tricky part is: need to have legit/valid reason and purpose!

Yes, people have done this before! Personally, I met the consular of HCMC with Kim once before we even start the K-1 process... initially we planned to get married in Saigon and then apply for K-3. This prompted me to obtain a Birth Certificate Certification from HCMC, via my US Passport. Vietnamese government wants me to give them my BC and US Citizenship proof.... To get one of those while you're in VN, you just need to walk in HCMC with your Passport and $50 (few years back), you will be sworn in infront of the Consular that you are who you are and they issue a signed, sealed BC for you on the spot. But they did conduct a quick "stoke interview" with me and Kim. How we met blah blah blah, whose my dad/mom/brother? where do I work? where she went to school? What is our plans after we get married etc.?

NOTE: this was done due to the fact that I told the consular the reason why I need my BC Notification that I want to get married a Vietnam national in Saigon then bring her home, Philly baby! I would have gone K-3 route!

End up didn't need to go K-3 route, but when we submit our application for K-1, we did include that piece of BC Notification and Notice of Single Status from HCMC with our names and pictures in raised seals with the application. That def. helps our case since whoever review our case in HCMC would see their own consular's signature and seal on those documents. Just another layer of showing HCMC how serious we WERE before we arrived at their door with K-1 application :)

Long story shot, to answer your question: You can most certainly request for a meeting with C.O. to present and rebutal your case. Just email HCMC and make an appointment. Say you'll be in Saigon in Sept 10-30, need to meet with C.O. please let me know his availablility :) I'll be there and you can ask me any question.

Good luck and stop stressing out Rodney, you need to stay focus more so than ever! :thumbs:

Dude, we ran the gauntlet of marriage in Viet Nam. In the end we got it done, but what a trip! I had to submit to a brain mapping on a machine similiar to this:

hitachi_bmi.jpg

I kept thinking "I'm not sitting in a chair, with electrodes hooked to my head, in a former enemies country"! The version shown above is much nicer than the one they had.

My Wife had already done hers before I got there and she knew I would have to do one. She didn't tell me it was coming! It was a smart move on her part. When I walked in the room I knew what it was because I have a friend who works with them. He hooked me up to one in 2005 to show me how it worked.

This is the wave of the future. It is an EXTREMELY reliable lie detector.

Edited by WideAwakeInTheUSA

Timeline

Rodney

Your blue slip is your ticket to see a Consulate Officer. You need to make an appointment to discus that once you know the dates you'll be there. You can call or email for it. Don't be upset if they try to put you off, just stay postive and insist on it while remaining polite. If you can talk to an CO about making the appointment, it should go easier. The Vietnamese staff is to handle the routine calls, etc which are mostly from Vietnamese. The Consulate's job is to help US Citizens in Vietnam. They know that.

Good Luck

Peter and Thi

I-129F Sent : 2007-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-06-11

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-10-26

Touched: 2007-11-02

NVC Recieved: 2007-11-16

Consulate recieved ??????

Packet 3 sent 2007-12-11

Packet 3 received 2007-12-24

Packet 3 returned 2007-12-28

Packet 4 sent 2008-1-14

Email Reply with Interview Date 2008-1-23

Interview Date 2008-2-27

Passed Interview 2008-02-27

Visa Pick Up Date 2008-3-05

Received Visa 2008-2-29 (called to pick up earlier)

POE 2008-3-05 Los Angeles

Wedding 2008-4-26

Timeline
Dude, we ran the gauntlet of marriage in Viet Nam. In the end we got it done, but what a trip! I had to submit to a brain mapping on a machine similiar to this:

hitachi_bmi.jpg

I kept thinking "I'm not sitting in a chair, with electrodes hooked to my head, in a former enemies country"! The version shown above is much nicer than the one they had.

My Wife had already done hers before I got there and she knew I would have to do one. She didn't tell me it was coming! It was a smart move on her part. When I walked in the room I knew what it was because I have a friend who works with them. He hooked me up to one in 2005 to show me how it worked.

And you passed? :lol:

How reliable can it be? :no:

Peter and Thi

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Packet 3 sent 2007-12-11

Packet 4 sent 2008-1-14

Interview Date 2008-2-27

Wedding 2008-4-26

Timeline

hitachi_bmi.jpg

Peter and Thi

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Packet 3 sent 2007-12-11

Packet 4 sent 2008-1-14

Interview Date 2008-2-27

Wedding 2008-4-26

Too big to repost:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/magazine...amp;oref=slogin

SO's are not allowed to accompany thier partners during the initial interview. However as a USC you have the right to USC services on any matter, and you're partner's application is a relevant matters.

Remain polite and get past the first few tiers of vietnamese staff, insist on speaking with a CO. The key is to get beyond the local vietnamese staff, even the nicest don't have the authority to do anything, and they are not that nice or well trained.

Theoretically USC's should have automatic access to USC services during ordinary USC services hours. In Saigon they do ask that you make an appointment. However, legally you should just to able to turn up.

It's your government, your taxes and your consulate. Keep this is mind, politely remind those who don't get it and keep chipin'.

-J

Timeline

hitachi_bmi.jpg

Peter and Thi

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Packet 3 sent 2007-12-11

Packet 4 sent 2008-1-14

Interview Date 2008-2-27

Wedding 2008-4-26

Too big to repost:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/magazine...amp;oref=slogin

Well I just gave it another read and maybe I'm incorrect about the accuracy of the mappers. I may be wrong about the test that I was subjected to also. It may have been an E.E.G. Regardless, we did pass because we were telling the truth Mr. Smartypants!

Timeline
SO's are not allowed to accompany thier partners during the initial interview. However as a USC you have the right to USC services on any matter, and you're partner's application is a relevant matters.

Remain polite and get past the first few tiers of vietnamese staff, insist on speaking with a CO. The key is to get beyond the local vietnamese staff, even the nicest don't have the authority to do anything, and they are not that nice or well trained.

Theoretically USC's should have automatic access to USC services during ordinary USC services hours. In Saigon they do ask that you make an appointment. However, legally you should just to able to turn up.

It's your government, your taxes and your consulate. Keep this is mind, politely remind those who don't get it and keep chipin'.

-J

In my case, in order to get to speak to a CO, I had to be insistent. "I'm a US Citizen, I demand to see the supervisor", they tried the you have to write a letter make an appointment thing, but they gave in after repeated insistence. The VN staff are horribly trained, and can really only provide canned answers in most cases. So they might give in and get the supervisor if you push the issue (there is a difference between insisting, and being a jerk that gets you arrested, so mind your manners)

Timeline

i sent an e-mail requesting an appointment. told them dates i would be there and said i expected a co . also bringing statements from family, friends, and co workers, got 11 so far

rodney

Timeline

do they give you a set time to reply on your blue slip? it said you need to do something within in a year. also anyone know difference in severity between blue and green?

rodney

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.