USMA

Timelines and Questions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I get this message when I log onto the USCIS site to check on our case:

"Your I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E) was received on May 5, 2006. We mailed you a receipt with information about processing. It is taking between 80 and 110 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete."

#1 Is 80-110 days the standard length of time they tell everyone?

Also, my timeline on VJ says: "Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated as early as August 3, 2006*. "

#2 Does that mean that is when I should receive an NOA2 or is that when this process should be over (after NOA2 and interview) and the visa is issued?

I know that all of these times are subject to change and probably will, but I'd like to have some idea as to how long the wait is. When I look at other couples' timelines there is such a variation as to the amount of time it took them to get through this. I'm sure it depends on if they receive RFE's, how long it took them to send and get information ready, etc.

#3 I will hopefully be going to Morocco in July. Are there things that I could be getting ready now and could take with me to give to Khalid when I get there for his interview? If I could hand deliver them to him, I'd rather do that than wait for the mail to deliver them and avoid the cost of sending them. I saw a link to carshel's Table of Contents for the packet to take to the interview (thanks carshel!! :thumbs: ). Is that everything that I will need to complete once I recieve the NOA2? Is there anything in addition to that I will need before getting the visa?

#4 What things could he be getting ready right now?

#5 What costs/fees (postal costs, filing fees, consulate fees, translation fees, etc.) can I and Khalid expect to pay after the initial K-1 $170 fee?

#6 I see a lot of people that are filing with co-sponsors. The requirement for needing a co-sponsor is if I don't have an income that is at least 125% the poverty level, right? So if I have an income that is above that, I don't need a co-sponsor?

#7 Once he is here, what are the next steps? What forms do we need to file and the costs?

I am sorry for the long list of questions...I am wanting to fill this time that I am waiting with ways to make the process go as smoothly as possible and to have as few surprises along the way as possible! This waiting is torture...pure torture. I'm sure there is a lesson to be learned from it all though...which I'm sure has a lot to do with patience :wacko: .

#8 Khalid has degrees in Computer Technology and Economics from Morocco. What are his chances of getting employment here with those degrees? Also, how easy would it be for him to begin school when he gets here? How long would he have to wait? He had a student visa to study at a university here but we decided to do the fiance visa instead so that it wouldn't complicate things.

And this is only the beginning to all the questions I have... :blush:

Thanks for listening to my worries!

Brenda

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Brenda,

1. Ours said 90-129 days to be processed, so yes that is normal.

2. That time is just for the NOA2 (approval or denial)

3. Honestly, I don't think there is much you can do until you get the NOA2. Most things are time sensitive, but you could be gathering the "proof" of on-going relationship i.e. emails, chats, cards etc...

4. Right now he could be getting his translations of birth certificate and passport. The police certificate he needs to wait on until once you know when the interview date it.

5. My fiance posted the fees he had to pay for translations and medical here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9991&hl= he also posted about the interview here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11484

6. As long as you meet the 125% you are correct, you do not need a co-sponsor

7. Once he is here, i'm not sure yet...mine isn't here yet either.

8. As far as school, that I'm looking into myself right now

Hope some of this helps.

Edited by carshel

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You sound just like me. I just got my NOA2 so now I'm putting together a binder of things Hicham will need for his interview. I think your NOA2 will probably be coming right around the 3 month mark after your NOA1. Congrats on your NOA1 and I hope everything goes quickly for you guys. Good luck!

Sarah

Looks like you got great answers for most of your questions. As for #7, next steps.

1. Spend a few weeks on cloud nine.

2. Apply for social security card after 2 weeks. Apply for state ID, driver's license if possible in your state (check your state's department of motor vehicles website to find out whether it's allowed prior to having EAD or green card).

3. Get married (within 90 days of arrival, but the sooner the better so that you can get your AOS application off). Take lots of pictures because you'll need them for your AOS interview.

4. Apply for AOS (adjustment of status), along with employment authorization (EAD) and travel authorization document (advanced parole, or AP) if you want. Send all of this into the Chicago central address. This is the application for the conditional green card. It will take minimum 5-6 months and possibly over a year to have your AOS interview, depending on how backed up your regional office is. The AP will probably take 2-3 months. The EAD takes about 3 months usually; if you haven't received the card within 90 days of their receipt of your application, you can go to your local office to get an interim EAD.

5. Try to comingle your finances as much as possible while you're waiting (add both your names to leases, utility bills, bank accounts) to have evidence of your marriage being legit to show at your AOS interview. Save letters/cards people send to the two of you together.

For school/employment, I'm not so sure about that. Hopefully someone else can help you there.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Filed: Timeline
Thanks carshel and Sarah!

Sarah I have also seen your list of things to send to your fiance for the interview. That also helps me and others I'm sure!

Now I guess it's time for me to learn get comfortable with waiting. :whistle:

Now you know why I chose this ID. Hahahahaha. *cries, laughs, cries, laughs, cries* Waiting is the fun part!

Regarding #8, you would first have his degrees evaluated by an evaluation service and see what they are "worth" here. What school was he going to attend on his student visa? This may give you an idea of what value the degrees hold. If he was going for his Master's, it would seem they considered them as the equivalent of U.S. Bachelor's.

He can enroll in school right away (my husband is at the college right now taking placements!!!!). However, they are not eligible for certain types of grants and things - I don't know the specifics. We are fortunately able to afford tuition.

Rebecca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.