Dennis_F

Police clearance - fingerprints?

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone who has completed the DCF process could tell me which type of police clearance they used when filing in Canada. There seems to be two types: a basic name search, which has a quick turnaround time, and a fingerprint search which takes 150+ days. I've read in some of the other forums that a fingerprint search is only necessary if you have a criminal record (which I don't), but I'm not clear if the same rules apply for DCF. Can anyone share their experience?

Thanks

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I was wondering if anyone who has completed the DCF process could tell me which type of police clearance they used when filing in Canada. There seems to be two types: a basic name search, which has a quick turnaround time, and a fingerprint search which takes 150+ days. I've read in some of the other forums that a fingerprint search is only necessary if you have a criminal record (which I don't), but I'm not clear if the same rules apply for DCF. Can anyone share their experience?

Thanks

The visa application process that goes on after a DCF will be the same as any other Canadian Immigrant Visa application (except you don't send your docs to NVC and wait for them to schedule your interview).

The DCF part doesn't change any police check requirements.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Go to the Canada section for more info.

Also, this thread seems to answer your question: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12768

D_SMIL112.gif

8-12-2004 I moved to New Zealand(married my Kiwi in US 5/04)

1-12-2006 Received initial packet - It has I-130, I-864 & DS-230 Part 1, DS-2001 & tons of instructions.

Gathering paperwork that we don't have:

5-30-2006 - I-130 FILED AND ACCEPTED BY AUCKLAND CONSULATE!- INTERVIEW: 6/13/2006

6-13-2006 - APPROVED!usaCa.gifnew_zeaC3.gif

6-14-2006 - VISA IN HAND D_SMIL112.gif

08-05-2006 -WE ARE HOME IN THE USA!!! flag12.gif

THREE HAPPY YEARS LATER:

5-10-09 - N-400 filed

8-24-09 - Interview

9-14-09 - Naturalization Oath Ceremony

Go to the Canada section for more info.

Also, this thread seems to answer your question: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12768

D_SMIL112.gif

Yeah, I've found lots of posts where people talk about the RCMP police clearance. The general consensus seems to be that if you have no criminal record, the fast name search is enough. If you do have a criminal record, the slower fingerprint search is required.

However, almost all of the posts I've read were from people involved in a K-1 or K-3 visa application. I just wasn't sure if it was any different in my case. I'm already married, so we're filing an I-130 to start. Therefore this is an immigrant visa, not a non-immigrant one like the K-1 and K-3. Just hoping that the police clearance requirement is the same in both cases.

Well, I heard from my lawyer today. Apprarently she contacted the Montreal consulate directly, and they answered back in writing that the name-check police clearance (without fingerprints) is fine.

Also, I've discovered that it can be difficult to find an RCMP branch who will do a check without asking for fingerprints. Here in Ottawa, there's no way to get a simple name-check unless you go to your provincial police dept (which is not RCMP). I'm a bit hesitant about this because I've read that the US Consulate wants a form with "RCMP" on it.

Anyhow, I found that the Kingston, Ontario RCMP detachment will do a name-check police clearance and you get your certificate the same day. It's about a 3 hour drive from here, but that's better than waiting for 5 months for the fingerprint check.

:thumbs:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Well, I heard from my lawyer today. Apprarently she contacted the Montreal consulate directly, and they answered back in writing that the name-check police clearance (without fingerprints) is fine.

Also, I've discovered that it can be difficult to find an RCMP branch who will do a check without asking for fingerprints. Here in Ottawa, there's no way to get a simple name-check unless you go to your provincial police dept (which is not RCMP). I'm a bit hesitant about this because I've read that the US Consulate wants a form with "RCMP" on it.

Anyhow, I found that the Kingston, Ontario RCMP detachment will do a name-check police clearance and you get your certificate the same day. It's about a 3 hour drive from here, but that's better than waiting for 5 months for the fingerprint check.

Dennis, my only suggestion is for you to browse the Canada Forum here, and the CR/IR Forum to see what other Canadians have done. I don't recall anyone going thru much hassle--just make sure you need to do it before you burn up all that fuel. ;)

And/or, ask your lawyer to confirm what you read about the Consulate 'wanting a form with RCMP'. Some folk (myself included) get so conservative with the information handed out that we often advocate the hard way when the easy way would be fine.

:)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Dennis, my only suggestion is for you to browse the Canada Forum here, and the CR/IR Forum to see what other Canadians have done. I don't recall anyone going thru much hassle--just make sure you need to do it before you burn up all that fuel. ;)

And/or, ask your lawyer to confirm what you read about the Consulate 'wanting a form with RCMP'. Some folk (myself included) get so conservative with the information handed out that we often advocate the hard way when the easy way would be fine.

:)

I have not heard Ottawa requiring fingerprints... There are lots of people through here who got name based checks through Ottawa RCMP with no problem.

But, Montreal has also been accepting local police certificates as long as it states specifically that it was based on a search of the RCMP CPIC Database for a Canada Wide Search.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.