GiGi27

Embassy called husband today...is this standard?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

My husband received a call today from the US Embassy in Bucharest informing him that our packet was received and he needed to submit to them a police report from Italy. If you read an earlier post from me, you will see that he overstayed a visa in Italy years ago (stayed 4 months instead of 90 days). He was very surprised they would call. He told the woman who called that it was his understanding he only needed a police report from places he has lived for at least six months. He submitted to them the original deportation papers from the Italian border patrol. The papers clearly stated the length of time he was there. After explaining the situation to the woman from the Embassy, she seemed to be satisfied with his explanation of events. She reminded him to bring with him to the interview evidence of our relationship (pictures, emails, etc). He asked her a few questions regarding the medical exam and the conversation was over.

His interview is August 25th.

I told my husband this was not necessarily a bad sign....but possibly a good sign. This overstay in Italy was his biggest worry. It is out in the open.

What do you guys think?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I don't think you have too much to worry about. The police report is standard, and required by all applicants. We recieved similar instructions, except needing a report from UK. Sometimes these reports can take a long time to get, (we waited almost 3 months to get one) and I think thats why the embassy wants to make sure you are aware of the requirement. That was a frustrating hurdle for us, as our lawyer never advised us we needed it, and we only found out on our own at a very late date. Good luck to you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.