DDT

CR1 Vs K3 Moscow

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what the current time line is for filing these now? I heard recently (a couple of months ago) from someone working in the Moscow office that things were going quickly there. However I didn't know enough about the process, at that time, to be able to ask him for which visa. It may have been for a DCF, which is what I am going to attempt. Any ideas?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If all you care about is time rather than price, who really cares which will get done faster? Just file both an I-130 with the free I-129F. Which ever gets done first is the one you will use.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Knowing your time line info and whether you are already married or not would help. Now we can only guess at your situation.

DCF is fastest and best way to go but you must live in Russia 6 months or more and always check first with the embassy as rules change...and get their reply in writing. I've heard of people being told they could file DCF and then being rejected when they tried to file at the embassy. You could get a CR-1 visa in 2 or 3 month after you file.

If filing in the USA:

K-3 is a question mark mainly due to which USCIS office is handling it. Vermont USCIS is at present very slow with CR-1 and K-3 applications. And sometimes Vermont has administratively close out the I-129F and only process the I-130. That may be changing but you should go to the K-3 forum and inquire. Seems K-3 goes faster and more predictably through California USCIS office.

The CR-1 filed in the USA is going faster now and is only a few months longer than the K-3 and it is the superior visa, so that's worth seriously considering.

Aside from DCF, the K-1 fiancee visa is the fastest if you are not yet married. The Russian forum is 99% K-1 petitioners, so it's a good resource for K-1 visas, but if you want more info on the CR-1 or K-3 you should use the appropriate visa forums for help and guidance.

CR-1 is way faster than K-3 although I haven't heard of anyone doing DCF in Moscow without living in that region. If you don't live there, you're probably going to have to do the K-3.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

To clarify: I have been living in Russia for 9 months and will be married in a week. I will attempt the DCF because I think I qualify. If my DCF is rejected for some reason I will have file in the US somewhere as I am domiciled in Oregon.

To clarify: I have been living in Russia for 9 months and will be married in a week. I will attempt the DCF because I think I qualify. If my DCF is rejected for some reason I will have file in the US somewhere as I am domiciled in Oregon.

You should be good with the DCF then. From the others who have done it before, it seems like a great way to go because it's fast and easy. Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

If all you care about is time rather than price, who really cares which will get done faster? Just file both an I-130 with the free I-129F. Which ever gets done first is the one you will use.

I-129F isn't close to being "free". Bring in cost of adjusting status and no money from working as soon.

Way more expensive than a CR or IR!!

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
To clarify: I have been living in Russia for 9 months and will be married in a week.
How are you able to prove you have been residing in Russia for 9 months? Registration stamps?

I-129F isn't close to being "free". Bring in cost of adjusting status and no money from working as soon. Way more expensive than a CR or IR!!
The OP asked about "speed" and not price, and as far I can tell from the directions the I-129F filed with an I-130 application for a spouse is indeed free, please read the directions again.

"There is no fee for petitions for K-3 status based on an immigrant petition filed by the same U.S. citizen."

Timeline
To clarify: I have been living in Russia for 9 months and will be married in a week.
How are you able to prove you have been residing in Russia for 9 months? Registration stamps?

I-129F isn't close to being "free". Bring in cost of adjusting status and no money from working as soon. Way more expensive than a CR or IR!!
The OP asked about "speed" and not price, and as far I can tell from the directions the I-129F filed with an I-130 application for a spouse is indeed free, please read the directions again.

"There is no fee for petitions for K-3 status based on an immigrant petition filed by the same U.S. citizen."

The fastest and cheapest overall visa is the DCF (I-130) filed directly with the consulate. What takes maybe 7-10 months in the USA can happen in just 2 or 3 months...much faster than even a K-1.

I'd be cautious about advising people to go with the K-3. The K-3 has been processed unevenly in the Vermont USCIS office. There was also a time when neither California or Vermont were processing the K-3s and would administratively close the I-129F petition...thus actually adding time to the overall process. In other words, it was better and faster to just file the I-130. Things may be improving but I'd check it out first.

The NVA has automated payment and form generation for handling CR-1 visa applications, so that phase of the filing process is much faster now. The wild card on how long the whole process takes is the USCIS phase. Currently the California office is working faster than Vermont for some reason.

The K visas are more expensive because the AOS phase happens in the USA after one year and costs around $1000. There are other issues and hassles as well. And getting the AOS med exam in the states costs more as well.

Beyond the seldom used DCF route, I think going with the CR-1 is the best choice today if the marriage takes place in Russia.

I will be using registration stamps. A letter from an employer and an affidavit from the bridss parents and a statement from the people who I rent from.

Timeline

I will be using registration stamps. A letter from an employer and an affidavit from the bridss parents and a statement from the people who I rent from.

When you come to the consulate to file, they will want to look at your passport and Russian visa. If it is a long-term visa, no problem. But if it is about to expire, you may be turned away.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would update this topic.

I had no problems with DCF. I submitted my visa and registration and sports club membership to the consulate in St Petersburg and they sent them off to Moscow for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I see from your timeline that you have an interview date this month. Congradulations!

Feb 11, 2005 ZAGS wedding in Moscow

Aug 7,2005 married in the Cathedral in Dmitrov

June 27, 2008 mail I-130

July 11,2008 sent I-129F

Oct 2, 2008 Yuri received packets 3+4 from US Embassy Moscow

Nov 20, 2008 Interview....VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2008 Yuri arrived! No problems :)

April 20, 2009 mailed AOS

May 4, 2009 medical exam

May 21, 2009 biometrics done

June 5, 2009 received EAD by mail

Aug 10, 2009 interview-given greencard congradulations letter with stamp

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.