whattodo

Which address on forms DS-230 and I-864?

1 post in this topic

My husband's interview in Naples is coming up next week. Our petition was approved by the USCIS in Rome last Sept based on my resident-status in Italy. We've delayed the interview for several months because we're not quite ready to move yet. I've got all the documents together and am putting them in order and making copies of everything now. At the last minute, I'm getting confused about whether to put my Italian or US address on the forms for the consulate.

I have had residency in Italy for three years, but I go back and forth a lot between countries and actually spent half of last year in the US. I have maintained a permanent address there (my parents') and have consistently maintained bank accounts, a drivers license, voter registration, and tax returns all with that address. As far as the US is concerned, I've never made any move to suspend residency there. I even served jury duty a few months ago. So should I consider the US my residence on the I-864, noting my Italian address as "mailing address" since I'm in Italy now and for the coming months? And should my husband, on DS-230 Part II, list me as his petitioner with my US address? Or should we use the Italian residence address to be consistent with the I-130 petition we filed in Rome last Sept?

Everything seems so clear and easy until you actually have to fill in the blanks! Thanks for your help.

Sep 11, 2007 ...... sent I-130 to Rome Embassy (USCIS District Office)

Oct 4, 2007 ........ received letter, I-130 approved and forwarded to Consulate in Naples

Oct 25, 2007 ....... received packet 3 by e-mail

Feb 1 2008 ....... got called for March interview but asked to postpone because not yet ready to move

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.