MarkBUK

Driving License in CA

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Our AOS packet has been filed and the check has been cashed. We're waiting for confirmation via mail to arrive from the USCIS. In the meantime I went to the DMV and obtained the necessary forms to apply for my license. The lady said that since 60 days have passed on my I-94 that it is no longer a valid 'immigration status' form of ID and that something like a green-card will be valid which obviously takes a long time.

However, in their information pack it says that a Notice of Action (I-797 Approved petition) is valid. Will the USCIS issue an I-797 just like they did for the I-129F at the beginning of the K1 process to show that the petition has been 'approved' for the AOS?

Have any other drivers applying for a CA used this notice without problems? Clearly, waiting for the AOS to be completed could take months and months and I'd like to be driving with a CA license instead of the UK I currently have. I have a SSN.

The I-94 will not be accepted if there is less than 60 days validity remaining.

The I-797 will be accepted - i.e. once your petition is approved. This is sent to you by USCIS by way of notification once aproval takes place.

Technically you can only drive on your UK license for ten days in CA if you are a resident!

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

If you take a job here or become a resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

Limited Term Legal Presence

All original and pending driver license or identification cards will expire on the expiration date of his/her birth date/legal presence document (BD/LP) issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

Your BD/LP document must have an expiration date 30 or more days from your application date. If your BD/LP document has an expiration date less than 30 days, you will not be able to start a driver license or identification card application.

If your BD/LP document has an expiration date of less than 60 days, you may complete your licensing requirements (written/vision/driving tests), but you will need to submit another BD/LP document with an expiration date of 60 days or more before your driver license or identification card is mailed to you. (i.e. this would be your I-797 or green card)

Before your limited term driver license expires, the department will mail out an “extension” letter with instructions on how to complete your application for a driver license.

Only the original or a certified copy of one of the following documents is acceptable if you're from the UK.

• Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)
  • Employment Authorization Card
  • "Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport
  • Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped "Processed for I-551 temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence"
  • Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition)

http://' target="_blank">

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

The only notice I received for an approved AOS application was the I-797D which came in the mail with my green card.

So it wasn't like the I-129F. (the GC was actually attached in the I-797D).

To drive around the city, I applied for a temporary driver's license instead using the driver's license I have from my country. The expiration was 3 months. And before it expired, I got my GC.

Edited by krakatoa

Timeline
The I-94 will not be accepted if there is less than 60 days validity remaining.

The I-797 will be accepted - i.e. once your petition is approved. This is sent to you by USCIS by way of notification once aproval takes place.

Technically you can only drive on your UK license for ten days in CA if you are a resident!

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

If you take a job here or become a resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>Limited Term Legal Presence

All original and pending driver license or identification cards will expire on the expiration date of his/her birth date/legal presence document (BD/LP) issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

Your BD/LP document must have an expiration date 30 or more days from your application date. If your BD/LP document has an expiration date less than 30 days, you will not be able to start a driver license or identification card application.

If your BD/LP document has an expiration date of less than 60 days, you may complete your licensing requirements (written/vision/driving tests), but you will need to submit another BD/LP document with an expiration date of 60 days or more before your driver license or identification card is mailed to you. (i.e. this would be your I-797 or green card)

Before your limited term driver license expires, the department will mail out an “extension” letter with instructions on how to complete your application for a driver license.

Only the original or a certified copy of one of the following documents is acceptable if you're from the UK.

• Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)
  • Employment Authorization Card
  • "Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport
  • Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped "Processed for I-551 temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence"
  • Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition)

<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>

Thanks for the information. As much as it varies from case to case, in your experience how long did it take for you to receive your I-797 for the AOS? I suspect from what you've told me that my EAD will most likely arrive first and will be used as evidence to apply for a license. I've had no problems with ID requests having my UK license being used since these requests have not asked for my immigration status. So during the AOS process I should be fine using my UK license as ID and evidence that I can drive but as soon as I receive my EAD or Notice of Action I should immediatley apply for a license?

Timeline
The only notice I received for an approved AOS application was the I-797D which came in the mail with my green card.

To drive around the city, I applied for a temporary driver's license instead using the driver's license I have from my country. The expiration was 3 months. And before it expired, I got my GC.

Where did you get the information to obtain a temporary drivers license from?

I talked with the DMV supervisor in person and went to three different offices. I also tried calling their official hotline but it didn't help (except for the call I made to the main headquarters in Sacramento, problems verifying my legal presence). Most of the DMV agents are incompetent when it comes to dealing with a K-1 visa holder..

I suggest when you go to the DMV office, talk to the supervisor.

Edited by krakatoa

I talked with the DMV supervisor in person and went to three different offices. I also tried calling their official hotline but it didn't help (except for the call I made to the main headquarters in Sacramento, problems verifying my legal presence). Most of the DMV agents are incompetent when it comes to dealing with a K-1 visa holder..

I suggest when you go to the DMV office, talk to the supervisor.

I forgot to add that waiting for the EAD is your best bet, in this case. The only thing is that the expiration of your DL will depend on your EAD validity. But more importantly is you can drive until it expires and hoping that the GC arrives by that time.

Edited by krakatoa

img149.jpg

This is the approval notice I received. I also got the welcome notice and touches online. Just to give you an idea of what to look forward to in the mail, if things have not changed since last year.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.