jurod16

I-130 Petition Process and Expediting

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello,

I'm an active duty military member, I just sent off my wife and stepdaughter's visa packages, so far they've cashed the checks. I haven't received the NOA1 yet.

I was trying to get an idea of how long it might take before they are approved to come over. I was also curious if there was some way I could get the process expedited. And if anyone could share their experience with me, especially those that are active duty, and could give me some advice or pointers to help me with my process.

All assistance will be greatly appreciated, I am new to this and trying this without a lawyer.

Thanks

B

Hello,

I'm an active duty military member, I just sent off my wife and stepdaughter's visa packages, so far they've cashed the checks. I haven't received the NOA1 yet.

I was trying to get an idea of how long it might take before they are approved to come over. I was also curious if there was some way I could get the process expedited. And if anyone could share their experience with me, especially those that are active duty, and could give me some advice or pointers to help me with my process.

All assistance will be greatly appreciated, I am new to this and trying this without a lawyer.

Thanks

B

If you're active duty you always have JAG for a back up. If it is a simple case, that's not necessary.

My DIL's interview is in Bangkok this month for a K-3 visa. It has taken just a little over eight months. If they'd gone for a C-R 1 it probably would have been 10-12 or so. Since nothing is consistent with the USCIS, it's always somewhat of an unknown. The processing speeds at the service centers change too. The National Visa Center process seems to be speeding up, now that bills can be paid online.

Expedites are usually related to deployment or extreme hardship. What the USCIS and DOS consider hardship is quite different from what most of us would define it as.

The USCIS does have a special phone number for military. Others would have to tell you whether it is helpful or not.

Best wishes on your journey, and thanks for serving.

Thai Mom

Timeline
Hello,

Thanks

B

If you're active duty you always have JAG for a back up. If it is a simple case, that's not necessary.

My DIL's interview is in Bangkok this month for a K-3 visa. It has taken just a little over eight months. If they'd gone for a C-R 1 it probably would have been 10-12 or so. Since nothing is consistent with the USCIS, it's always somewhat of an unknown. The processing speeds at the service centers change too. The National Visa Center process seems to be speeding up, now that bills can be paid online.

Expedites are usually related to deployment or extreme hardship. What the USCIS and DOS consider hardship is quite different from what most of us would define it as.

The USCIS does have a special phone number for military. Others would have to tell you whether it is helpful or not.

Best wishes on your journey, and thanks for serving.

Thai Mom

Thank you for the advice, I'll see about speaking with a JAG before the end of this week!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I think it's doesn't matter if you are active duty member. If you are in the process of deployment to Iraq or anywhere supporting Iraqi Freedom; you have a good chance of getting grated of expediting your process. Just get a memorandum letter from your 1st Sgt or Commander and along with your orders. I was an active duty Air Force member when I applied for K-1 Visa; and I had been retired since Sep 2007. Check my time line; and it will give you an idea. Good luck and best wishes. :thumbs:

animated%20usa%20flag1.gifanimated%20thailand%20flag.gif

Thai Style USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Links:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=106...amp;ref=profile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/223365857736847/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411770628885582/

http://www.thaiworldnetwork.com

Timeline
I think it's doesn't matter if you are active duty member. If you are in the process of deployment to Iraq or anywhere supporting Iraqi Freedom; you have a good chance of getting grated of expediting your process. Just get a memorandum letter from your 1st Sgt or Commander and along with your orders. I was an active duty Air Force member when I applied for K-1 Visa; and I had been retired since Sep 2007. Check my time line; and it will give you an idea. Good luck and best wishes. :thumbs:

I guess I need to do some volunteering for some deployments pretty soon, lol, seriously though, thank you for your advice and offering your timeline for additional assistance.

Hello,

Thanks

B

Hi Jurod,

You do not need to be deployed at present or have actual deployment orders in hand. You can also get a military expedite in between deployments, if you are an active duty member.

There have been recent approvals of such requests. This seems to be a very recent development and it means soldiers now wouldn't have to wait anymore until just before they get deployed gaain.

You do have to carefully prepare your case first. You would need a letter of your CO and it is very much advisable to ask a Senator/Congressman's officer of your State to file the expedite request for you (this is preferable to just calling CIS and asking them to write the request). I would wait until you get your NOA1 notices, do you have the CIS reference numbers.

This is a controversial issue on this forum, and this post is not meant to spark more debates about the issue. The expedites are not guaranteed but they ARE however possible and you have a right to be informed.

If you want more info on this, see KipnSarahJayne's very useful thread called "expedite tips", which outlines what you would need to include in your cover letter, and also see the military spouse thread, and look for earlier posts. You can also send me a message if you like.

Good luck

Cat

Edited by Catt

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Timeline
Hello,

Thanks

B

Hi Jurod,

You do not need to be deployed at present or have actual deployment orders in hand. You can also get a military expedite in between deployments, if you are an active duty member.

There have been recent approvals of such requests. This seems to be a very recent development and it means soldiers now wouldn't have to wait anymore until just before they get deployed gaain.

You do have to carefully prepare your case first. You would need a letter of your CO and it is very much advisable to ask a Senator/Congressman's officer of your State to file the expedite request for you (this is preferable to just calling CIS and asking them to write the request). I would wait until you get your NOA1 notices, do you have the CIS reference numbers.

This is a controversial issue on this forum, and this post is not meant to spark more debates about the issue. The expedites are not guaranteed but they ARE however possible and you have a right to be informed.

If you want more info on this, see KipnSarahJayne's very useful thread called "expedite tips", which outlines what you would need to include in your cover letter, and also see the military spouse thread, and look for earlier posts. You can also send me a message if you like.

Good luck

Cat

Thank you so much, I'll definitely check that thread out, like I said I'm new here just looking for any help to get my wife and daughter here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.