2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

To ask my question I need to tell my story:

When I got here on a K1 visa I waited a week (as mentioned here on vj) and went to the SS office to get the ss number. I was told by a very very stubborn emploee of the SS office that K1 doesn't get the SS number untill they get a green card. She was very nasty about that and sent me and my fiance home.

6 weeks later I was reading about getting a SS number on vj and found out that she (the nasty emploee) was wrong! I went back there with proof of why I am eligible for a SS number, but she didn't even look at the document (that by the way was printed from ssa.gov!!!). She yelled at me, told me to go home and come back with my green card. I, with tears in my eyes asked for her supervisor. All the SS office emploees got involved in he problem trying to prove to their supervisor that I am not eligible for a number... So an hour of discussing the meaning of the document that was on THEIR freaggin' website, they told me to fill out an application.

So now I am waiting for my number to come in the mail. My I-94 expires JUNE 23rd which is in a couple of days. We just got married on the 14th (2 days ago) so We made the 90 day requirement. Now I want to go back to the SS office and tell them about my name change (I don't want to have my maiden name on my green card) but: I DID NOT RECEIVE THE NUMBER IN THE MAIL YET. I want to send the AOS before my I-94 expires but I filled out the forms with my new last name on them. Do I need to change my name through SS office before I can put my married name on the AOS forms? Or what else do I do in this situation. Should I file a complaint about the SS emploees lack of knowledge?

PLEASE HELP ME! I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.

AOS Timeline begun!

AOS sent- June 26th 2008

NOA1- July 3rd

Touch- July 7th (check cashed)

Touch- July 8th

Biometrics notice received- July 14th (notice date- July 9th)

Biometrics Appointment- July 25th

Touch- July 25th

RFE e-mail notice- July 28th

RFE response sent- September 9th

RFE response received by USCIS and case processing resumed- September 12th

AOS Touch- September 18th

Transfer to CSC- September 26th

AOS Touch-September 29th

Received Transfer Letter in mail- October 2nd

AOS Touch- case pending at the office to which it was transferred- October 3rd

AOS Touch- October 6th

EAD Touch- October 29- CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED-yippeeeeeeeeee! I can get a drivers license

EAD Touch- November 3rd- Approval notice sent (JEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ RIGHT AFTER I WROTE THIS MY EAD CARD CAME IN MAIL!!!!!! I mean the Mailman brought it HOW WEIRD IS THAT???????????)

AOS Touch Dec 19th

AOS Touch Dec 21st

AOS APPROVED JAN 29th

Removing Conditions 12/16/2010- Application sent by certified mail

Approved 3/07/2011

A K1 is only eligible for an SSN if they have more than 14 days of status left on their I-94 (i.e. have been in the US less than 76 days). After this period you need an EAD or green card to get one.

You don't have to file AoS within the 90 day limit, you just had to get married in it. You can complete the AoS application in your new name, even if you have not changed the name associated with the SSN. USCIS isn't going to worry about your dealings with another government agency in that way.

You could file a complaint, but it won't change your situation.

Send the AoS application off when you are ready to do so, and don't worry about the name being different on the SSN card.

K-1 Visa Process.

===========

See my timeline

AOS Process

========

01/23/08 - AOS Package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

01/25/08 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765 and I-131

02/15/08 - Biometrics for I-485 and I-765

02/18/08 - I-485 transferred to CSC

02/21/08 - I-485 & I-765 touched

03/11/08 - I-131 approved

03/18/08 - I-765 approved

03/19/08 - EAD arrives

03/20/08 - AP arrives

03/27/08 - I-485 touched

04/11/08 - I-485 touched (case received at CSC)

04/13/08 - I-485 touched

06/07/08 - I-551 Card production ordered

06/13/08 - Welcome Letter arrives

06/16/08 - I-551 Card arrives

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.