StevenCarmen

Receiving Notice in Mexico

5 posts in this topic

I'm about to file an I-130 /129F /325a.

I've been searching and going over the advice for dealing with a problematic mailing address (no delivery) for my spouse in Mexico and it seems clear that either:

1) It's reasonable to use a postal box for your mailing address in certain places so your mail will get delivered. But always use her physical address for residence.

2) It's a bad idea to use a PO Box because they don't accept them. The Consulate's delivery service will find you anyway.

That is, both opinions are strongly held, it seems. Can anybody who filed while at a rural Mexican residence shed any light on this? I can imagine that this answer varies from country to country and even depends on the area of the country as to whether it gets delivered.

And will USCIS have a problem with this address considering it's long and has no street or number? My wife's address (as on ID) is "Arroyo Numero Tres, Santa Maria Tonameca, Oaxaca, Mexico.

Thanks,

Steve

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
I'm about to file an I-130 /129F /325a.

I've been searching and going over the advice for dealing with a problematic mailing address (no delivery) for my spouse in Mexico and it seems clear that either:

1) It's reasonable to use a postal box for your mailing address in certain places so your mail will get delivered. But always use her physical address for residence.

2) It's a bad idea to use a PO Box because they don't accept them. The Consulate's delivery service will find you anyway.

That is, both opinions are strongly held, it seems. Can anybody who filed while at a rural Mexican residence shed any light on this? I can imagine that this answer varies from country to country and even depends on the area of the country as to whether it gets delivered.

And will USCIS have a problem with this address considering it's long and has no street or number? My wife's address (as on ID) is "Arroyo Numero Tres, Santa Maria Tonameca, Oaxaca, Mexico.

Thanks,

Steve

My husband's mail delivery was just pushed through the fence. (Quite a few envelopes were chewed up by his dogs if he wasn't home soon enough.) Everything seemed to get to him though, but he is from a good size city.

I'm wondering, if your wife is from a small enough town, could she ask the postal carrier what he suggests and then ask him to keep an eye out for her package? Of course, that would mean that she would need to know the carrier to trust him...

I hope someone else pipes in. You could post this in the ciudad juarez thread under consulates. Most of the folks are applying for fiance visas but they had to use the mail system, too.

Summer 2001--we met in Manzanillo, Mexico

10/02--129F submitted (We had 1 RFE)

7/03--Interview in Ciudad Juarez

2/15/04--Married

4/2/04--AOS submitted

8/23/04--Interview in Chula Vista, CA (approved pending name check)

5 EADs, 3 APs, multiple Senators' inquiries and infopass appts, 2 AOS biometrics,

and one move to Seattle later...

3/3/08--AOS Biometrics renewal in Seattle

6/9/08--10 year green card arrived in the mail. My husband is no longer in immigration limbo and is a realio, trulio permanent resident! It says he's been a resident since 04/17/2008.

1/17/11--Apply for Citizenship

I'm wondering, if your wife is from a small enough town, could she ask the postal carrier what he suggests and then ask him to keep an eye out for her package? Of course, that would mean that she would need to know the carrier to trust him...

I hope someone else pipes in. You could post this in the ciudad juarez thread under consulates. Most of the folks are applying for fiance visas but they had to use the mail system, too.

Good idea for posting for the CDJ thread. I was wondering how to get to "puros Mexicanos"!

The closest thing down here to "postal carriers" are the characters who try to extract a living by occupying the post office in the nearest town (about 40 minutes away). I think they make some money by selling postal boxes and some more by charging ransom for arriving packages or just keeping them. Beyond that, they could care less about mail. It annoys them if you try to ask them questions. :(

That's rural Oaxaca. Very different from the other Mexico. The government is composed of hungry dogs or fat cats only! Maybe a bribe would work....

but we're not really into that...

Anybody? The consulate review page would get the right people but I see that it is not for asking questions.

If nobody from Mexico sees this, or can answer my question, are there any hints for how to get help at this site? Am I on the wrong forum?

Calling the CDJ consulate is literally impossible for me without traveling some distance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.