Corey-Mariya

American movies!

31 posts in this topic

Kind of off topic for this thread, but an American movie, nonetheless...

I watched Idiocracy last night and laughed my @$$ off. Mike Judge (dude that does King of the Hill, Office Space, etc.) made this movie about what the future was going to be like and he nailed it! The opening 15 minutes made me both die of laughter and then really start thinking about just #######? is going on with our country today.

Anyone else seen this movie? If you haven't, it's worth watching. Very funny and thought-provoking as well.

I saw it, and had the same reaction. :thumbs:

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If you have HBO, look for the movie PU-239. Don't be put off by the odd title!

It's about a Russian husband and father who works in a Russian nuke plant during the 90s. Things are falling apart and he's warned management that the conditions are unsafe. The unthinkable happens and he's exposed to a lethal dose of radiation. Instead of helping him the plant managers fire him. He knows he's a dead man walking and steals a portion of weapons grade plutonium in hopes of selling it in Moscow to provide for his family when he's gone.

It's tremendously sad and brutal, and funny in parts. I can't believe I was actually rooting for him to sell the stuff before the end of the movie :blush:

08.24.06 - I-129F sent to VSC

08.30.06 - NOA1

09.01.06 - NOA1 snail mail

09.09.06 - touched

09.15.06 - NAO2 approval via email

09.19.06 - NVC receives package

09.20.06 - NAO2 snail mail

09.26.06 - NVC mails package to US Embassy in Moscow

10.03.06 - Consolate receives package

10.17.06 - Interview prep package received by fiancee

12.12.06 - Approved!

12.16.06 - Picked up visa from DHL office in Moscow

12.20.06 - POE JFK, just in time for the holidays...

02.10.07 - Married, viva Las Vegas!

04.02.07 - AOS mailed

04.10.07 - AOS NAO1 received

05.03.07 - Biometrics @ Varick St., Manhattan

06.05.07 - Request to Appear for Initial Interview received (interview date: July 31)

06.25.07 - EAD card received

06.28.07 - AP document received (thanks for nothin', she'll have her green card before her travel date!)

07.31.07 - Initial interview a breeze!

08.13.07 - Green card arrives in the mail

I saw a preview for PU-239. Looked like a good one. I'm also highly anticipating HBO's Generation Kill that comes out next month. I loved the FX original show Over There but for some reason it was only on for one season. Hopefully Generation Kill will take over where it left off.

Did you guys ever watch the TV series Jericho? That was a good one that was just dropped for no reason. I caught it kind of late but watched a marathon on USA or something and was hooked. Then... it was gone. I heard it may come back but I don't know.

It seems like all the "thought provoking" shows get taken off the air for some strange reason. It's a wonder the Daily Show, Colbert Report, etc. haven't been censored into cancellation. I guess they can be dismissed as comedy. The drama shows seem to get cancelled after a season or two. Hmmmm.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
I have to agree with Corey. The appearance of a Russian in an American film (,television series and even video game) is usually the antagonist of the story. I also have seen Russian ladies on television shows, often, playing the MOB or brought over for sex slavery.

Germans too. And the fake accents suck a$$.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I'm also highly anticipating HBO's Generation Kill that comes out next month. I loved the FX original show Over There but for some reason it was only on for one season. Hopefully Generation Kill will take over where it left off.

I saw a screening of the first episode of Gen Kill, it's awesome. It's going to be a 7-part series; movies and series about Iraq have been a huge bust for most studios, but HBO isn't beholden to advertisers or ratings as much as other networks.

08.24.06 - I-129F sent to VSC

08.30.06 - NOA1

09.01.06 - NOA1 snail mail

09.09.06 - touched

09.15.06 - NAO2 approval via email

09.19.06 - NVC receives package

09.20.06 - NAO2 snail mail

09.26.06 - NVC mails package to US Embassy in Moscow

10.03.06 - Consolate receives package

10.17.06 - Interview prep package received by fiancee

12.12.06 - Approved!

12.16.06 - Picked up visa from DHL office in Moscow

12.20.06 - POE JFK, just in time for the holidays...

02.10.07 - Married, viva Las Vegas!

04.02.07 - AOS mailed

04.10.07 - AOS NAO1 received

05.03.07 - Biometrics @ Varick St., Manhattan

06.05.07 - Request to Appear for Initial Interview received (interview date: July 31)

06.25.07 - EAD card received

06.28.07 - AP document received (thanks for nothin', she'll have her green card before her travel date!)

07.31.07 - Initial interview a breeze!

08.13.07 - Green card arrives in the mail

July 13.....

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Kind of off topic for this thread, but an American movie, nonetheless...

I watched Idiocracy last night and laughed my @$$ off. Mike Judge (dude that does King of the Hill, Office Space, etc.) made this movie about what the future was going to be like and he nailed it! The opening 15 minutes made me both die of laughter and then really start thinking about just #######? is going on with our country today.

Anyone else seen this movie? If you haven't, it's worth watching. Very funny and thought-provoking as well.

Nope never saw idocracy! We have satelite tv and the only show mariya likes to watch is family guy :rofl:

Family Guy is good. If you like that sort of show, you'll like Idiocracy.

It's also a good look at certain aspects of American culture. Could be a little intro to some of the folks she hasn't ran into yet.

Русский форум член.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My Alla's American favourites...

CSI

CSI Miami

Knight Rider (She thinks KITT is cool) :lol:

A Team

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

You'll have to show her the old Knight Rider shows with the 'Hoff. And if she likes those, she'll love Airwolf too. Probably Magnum P.I. as well.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

I was talking about the real Knight Rider. She's never seen the lame update. Her big kick is KITT. She likes the way he is "so clever" and protects Michael. I am very confident she would like Airwolf. I'm less confident about Magnum. The Ferrari can't talk. :lol: She might find Higgins interesting though. :thumbs:

You'll have to show her the old Knight Rider shows with the 'Hoff. And if she likes those, she'll love Airwolf too. Probably Magnum P.I. as well.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

I think you can still buy the sweeping red lights to install in the grill of her car. "Whoosh-whooosh, whooosh-whooooosh" and you could probably find some kind of gadget to make it talk as well. I know Tom-Tom and all those GPS things talk now, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find something that sounds like KITT.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

I had KITT wallpaper on her desktop when the computer was in Kazan'. :lol:

I think you can still buy the sweeping red lights to install in the grill of her car. "Whoosh-whooosh, whooosh-whooooosh" and you could probably find some kind of gadget to make it talk as well. I know Tom-Tom and all those GPS things talk now, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find something that sounds like KITT.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Hey Everyone :yes: since Mariya has been here we have seen at least 6 movies at the mvie theater and in all of them Russians always seem to be the bad guys! does anyone else notice this?

And what do you expect? Russia .... a supposedly "civillised" country which shuts their cities hot water off for a few weeks every summer?.......Hmmmm? Hmmmmm...??

Timeline

While this is true and irritating, it ain't that hard to buy your own water heater. :)

Hey Everyone :yes: since Mariya has been here we have seen at least 6 movies at the mvie theater and in all of them Russians always seem to be the bad guys! does anyone else notice this?

And what do you expect? Russia .... a supposedly "civillised" country which shuts their cities hot water off for a few weeks every summer?.......Hmmmm? Hmmmmm...??

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.