jackielibera

CFO

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I wonder if the counselors really do know the practice in the USA regarding this. It seems they are confusing people with their practice of emphasizing the mother's maiden name as a middle name. To be honest, if you asked all of my ex GF's what my mother's maiden name was, I don't think any would be able to answer the question. It's not a focal point of discussion, and it's not one of the questions that many think to ask. The most common way that a gf/fiancee would know the name is if they knew the grandparents on the mother's side personally. Then they might know. So it's not really emphasized here. But it is emphasized at the seminar, so keep this in mind people! So my girl was initially upset about not having our children having her last name as their middle name. She wanted to have an american middle name, but then the filipino family name too, so that the child would have 4 names. I told her that it would be a bit strange in the US, but if she wanted it, fine. She seems to have changed her mind regarding this though. By the way, her plan is to actually change her last name to her middle name, and then take my last name. So I guess this is the standard PI practice? I think her plan is fine though, because I think it sounds better and it's the name she has been identified with the most during her life thus far.

I'm thinking about giving this link to the head of PRISM so she would know the problems most applicants encounter during the guidance and counseling. What do you think?

I think it's a good idea. My girl was confused and she was fed wrong information. The counselors really couldn't know though, because they are giving instructions on matters that they themselves never experienced. It's difficult to instruct on cultural differences without actually being experienced in USA culture.

Met on Myspace: December 2006

Met in person: July 26th, 2007

I129F filed: Sept 20, 2007

2nd meeting dec 25-Jan 22 2008

(month together!)

Interview: April 24, 2008

Visa granted: June 5, 2008

Visa received: June 10, 2008

Point of Entry LAX June 19, 2008

Wedding date: Aug 17th, 2008

[/url]mehon.jpg

Timeline
I wonder if the counselors really do know the practice in the USA regarding this. It seems they are confusing people with their practice of emphasizing the mother's maiden name as a middle name. To be honest, if you asked all of my ex GF's what my mother's maiden name was, I don't think any would be able to answer the question. It's not a focal point of discussion, and it's not one of the questions that many think to ask. The most common way that a gf/fiancee would know the name is if they knew the grandparents on the mother's side personally. Then they might know. So it's not really emphasized here. But it is emphasized at the seminar, so keep this in mind people! So my girl was initially upset about not having our children having her last name as their middle name. She wanted to have an american middle name, but then the filipino family name too, so that the child would have 4 names. I told her that it would be a bit strange in the US, but if she wanted it, fine. She seems to have changed her mind regarding this though. By the way, her plan is to actually change her last name to her middle name, and then take my last name. So I guess this is the standard PI practice? I think her plan is fine though, because I think it sounds better and it's the name she has been identified with the most during her life thus far.

I think it's a good idea. My girl was confused and she was fed wrong information. The counselors really couldn't know though, because they are giving instructions on matters that they themselves never experienced. It's difficult to instruct on cultural differences without actually being experienced in USA culture.

Thanks for this info. I didn't know that the petitioner's middle name the CFO counselors will ask is the maiden name of the petitioner's Mother.

I am confused now about the middle name our children will have in the future. Will it not be my maiden name then? :unsure: Ryan told me once about this, but I wouldn't want my children's middle name my mom's maiden name :no: I want my children's middle name my maiden name :yes: What should we do? :whistle:

My Journey to Motherhood

Our Wedding Pics

Onli In Da Pilipins - Collection of sights and thoughts for my beloved country.

Our Love HIStory

06/26/06: Met at Bigchurch.com

07/14/07: First meeting in person.

12/19/07: Got my surprise gift through snail mail: my engagement ring!

02/11-18/08: Valentine's Week together!

AOS Timeline (I-485, I-765)

04/09/09: Sent packet to Illinois Lockbox

04/20/09: Received Notice of Action

04/27/09: Received Biometrics Appointment

05/09/09: Biometrics Appointment

06/01/09: Received EAD Card

08/18/09: Interview (postponed due to baby's delivery)

12/16/09: Interview - Approved!

2_613061495l.jpg

In her eyes I see the reflection of what love is all about.

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

Ecclesiastes 4:12

I'm thinking about giving this link to the head of PRISM so she would know the problems most applicants encounter during the guidance and counseling. What do you think?

Ok then... I think it's really time for this issue to be addressed. I'll give this link to Ms. Cheryl and see what she can do about it.

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Timeline
Thanks for this info. I didn't know that the petitioner's middle name the CFO counselors will ask is the maiden name of the petitioner's Mother.

I am confused now about the middle name our children will have in the future. Will it not be my maiden name then? :unsure: Ryan told me once about this, but I wouldn't want my children's middle name my mom's maiden name :no: I want my children's middle name my maiden name :yes: What should we do? :whistle:

I think we should discuss it together. Since our customs are so different on this matter, we'd have to come to a compromise.

-Ryan

My Journey to Motherhood

Our Wedding Pics

Onli In Da Pilipins - Collection of sights and thoughts for my beloved country.

Our Love HIStory

06/26/06: Met at Bigchurch.com

07/14/07: First meeting in person.

12/19/07: Got my surprise gift through snail mail: my engagement ring!

02/11-18/08: Valentine's Week together!

AOS Timeline (I-485, I-765)

04/09/09: Sent packet to Illinois Lockbox

04/20/09: Received Notice of Action

04/27/09: Received Biometrics Appointment

05/09/09: Biometrics Appointment

06/01/09: Received EAD Card

08/18/09: Interview (postponed due to baby's delivery)

12/16/09: Interview - Approved!

2_613061495l.jpg

In her eyes I see the reflection of what love is all about.

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

Ecclesiastes 4:12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.