Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Address/Name change after marriage

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Timeline

Questions for marriage visa filers

1) Can people specify what kind of identification they need when the beneficiary goes to interview in India for K3? I think passport, Ration card are required. Are there any others?

2) Do all the identification mentioned in item 1 need to have her married name or maiden name will do?

3) If the spouse moves after marriage for the timeframe she is waiting for K-3 approval, should the Ration card, passport, and other ids have the new address? If the old address would work, the pain of getting the address change for IDs can be avoided.

4) In I-130, Q. 21 If filing for your husband/wife, give last address at which you lived together.

If you go and stay with your spouse for two weeks while you went to get married. Do you put the address/time here or keep it blank for K-3? I just want to know what others normally do.

Please advise and thanks for your help.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only answer on the Name change question that you have.

Not all women who get married change their middle name , last name after the marriage. Some prefer to leave it as is. Some move their maiden name as their middle name and husband's last name as their last name.

You should be fine with whatever name you have. Just be prepared to explain if they ask.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India

Depending on your circumstances, name change might help you to prove intent.


07/27/2007 : Mailed I130 for spouse (VSC)

09/20/2007 : NOA1

11/07/2007 : NOA2


11/20/2007 : Case # Assigned

03/10/2008 : Case Completed!

03/20/2008 : Interview Scheduled & Interview letter mailed

03/25/2008 : Beneficiary received interview letter

03/25/2008 : Case forwarded to consulate. NVC message updated on 3/28/08.


05/22/2008 : Interview

05/22/2008 : Visa granted and passport collected same day.

05/26/2008 : POE (Newark, NJ).

Our Timeline (more detailed events)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

I am still not clear whether to do name change after marriage. The passport will have maiden name. I have read through K3 packet 3 checklist and the consulate doesn't care. But leaving the maiden name may raise some questions in their mind whether marriage actually happened. Can somebody please advise? This is quite urgent to find out.

Here are the pros and cons I see based on the feedback I got:


1) Don't need to change the name in Passport.

2) I don't know what ID proof they require for local PCC. If somebody knows, please let me know. But, no need to change the name on that ID proof.


1) Having a maiden name may raise questions about marriage.

Please advise.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...