yeye

Address/Name change after marriage

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Questions for marriage visa filers

1) Can people specify what kind of identification they need when the beneficiary goes to interview in India for K3? I think passport, Ration card are required. Are there any others?

2) Do all the identification mentioned in item 1 need to have her married name or maiden name will do?

3) If the spouse moves after marriage for the timeframe she is waiting for K-3 approval, should the Ration card, passport, and other ids have the new address? If the old address would work, the pain of getting the address change for IDs can be avoided.

4) In I-130, Q. 21 If filing for your husband/wife, give last address at which you lived together.

If you go and stay with your spouse for two weeks while you went to get married. Do you put the address/time here or keep it blank for K-3? I just want to know what others normally do.

Please advise and thanks for your help.

I can only answer on the Name change question that you have.

Not all women who get married change their middle name , last name after the marriage. Some prefer to leave it as is. Some move their maiden name as their middle name and husband's last name as their last name.

You should be fine with whatever name you have. Just be prepared to explain if they ask.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Depending on your circumstances, name change might help you to prove intent.

I-130

07/27/2007 : Mailed I130 for spouse (VSC)

09/20/2007 : NOA1

11/07/2007 : NOA2

NVC

11/20/2007 : Case # Assigned

03/10/2008 : Case Completed!

03/20/2008 : Interview Scheduled & Interview letter mailed

03/25/2008 : Beneficiary received interview letter

03/25/2008 : Case forwarded to consulate. NVC message updated on 3/28/08.

Consulate

05/22/2008 : Interview

05/22/2008 : Visa granted and passport collected same day.

05/26/2008 : POE (Newark, NJ).

Our Timeline (more detailed events)

Filed: Timeline

I am still not clear whether to do name change after marriage. The passport will have maiden name. I have read through K3 packet 3 checklist and the consulate doesn't care. But leaving the maiden name may raise some questions in their mind whether marriage actually happened. Can somebody please advise? This is quite urgent to find out.

Here are the pros and cons I see based on the feedback I got:

Pros

1) Don't need to change the name in Passport.

2) I don't know what ID proof they require for local PCC. If somebody knows, please let me know. But, no need to change the name on that ID proof.

Cons

1) Having a maiden name may raise questions about marriage.

Please advise.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.