mrsmarx

N-400 citizenship

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I came to america with my husband on April 22, 2006, We got married here in 90 days prior to our arrival for adjustment of status, and I got my greencard on June 12, 2006, I been in America for over 2 years now and last May 21 this year we filed the I-751 form to remove the conditions of my greencard and just a few weeks ago I received a nottification for my interview and biotmertric date which it will be this month, but our marriage is not gonna work anymore, We have no child and there is no third party involve, just a lot of differences between us, and we try to fix our differences but it cannot be fix, My problem is after my interview for removing the conditions of my greencard and we get divorce do i still have a chance to become a US citizen? Can I apply the N-400 or Naturalization without my husband presence? Or Do I really need to wait until I become a US Citizen and divorce? If we divorce after the interview for lifting the conditions of my greencards it will affect me to become a US Citizen? Are they going to deported me? Do I need to go back to my home country after the interview in removing the conditions, and if they approve I-751 and they give me the 10 years LPR it takes me 5 years to be a citizen right? What is the requirements to submit the N-400? Is their another interview for that? What name can I use my married or my single name? Can I submit it by myself wihtout his presence or his name on it? and I got sacred also because he said if the I-751 got approved and we divorce and have my 10 years greencard he can call the immigration office and the immigration will pick me up back to my country. Can he do that or he is just saying it? Thanks!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If your interview to Remove Conditions goes well you will receive your 10 year green card and there is nothing your husband can do about it if your marriage was based on good faith. Many couples end up getting divorced even before removing conditions but the beneficiary can still go ahead and remove them as long as he/she can prove that the marriage was legitimate. Once you receive your green card you can divorce your husband and you won't be deported, you can also start using your maiden name if you wish.

Now, in order for you to become a US citizen, you will have to wait another two years, five total after you received your first green card. You will have to prove that you were in a good marriage until the divorce and that you had good grounds to get divorced. You will have to let the interviewer know that you didn't marry your husband to get a green card and that for good reasons the marriage didn't work out. They may not even ask you about that at all, but you have to be ready to answer any questions during your citizenship interview.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.