saradanielle

Police Certificate RFE

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I just got an RFE saying that they are missing the Brazil police certificate... now here is my confusion:

The "special instructions" on the NVC site for Brazil say that we need a federal police certificate and a state police certificate from every place my husband has lived for the last 5 years. However, NVC general directions state that we need one for every place since he was 16. I followed the specific Brazil instructions and sent a federal cert and a state cert (my husband has lived in the same city for the last 5 years).

Now, I just got an RFE saying that they are missing the police certificate (don't know which one) and the operator doesn't have info about it. It could have been my lawyer's mistake (maybe he forgot to send one), but I would hate to have to get more documentation from Brazil because that will take at least two more weeks. Ack! Help!

Can anyone who has a Brazil-based application please tell me which police certificates they sent in with the DS-230? Please? Thank you!

USCIS

August 16, 2007: Filed 1-130 at VSC for CR-1 Visa

December 21, 2007: NOA1 issued (I-130 now at CSC)

February 27, 2008: NOA2 issued

NVC

March 07, 2008: NVC case # received

March 26, 2008: Fee bills arrive

April 01, 2008: Fee bills paid

April 11, 2008: NVC processes fee bill payments

April 24, 2008: AOS and DS-230 requests arrive from NVC

May 13, 2008: Completed AOS and DS-230 packages sent to NVC

May 23, 2008: RFE for Police Certificate (even though all original docs were sent!)

June 30, 2008: Checklist Letter Response received at NVC (new documents)

July 8, 2008: Case complete

July 16, 2008: Case forwarded to Consulate

US CONSULATE - RIO DE JANEIRO

July 22, 2008: Case arrives at Consulate

July 24, 2008: Medical Exam

August 14, 2008: INTERVIEW! Visa issued!

August 18, 2008: Received immigrant visa and document package via DHL

January 16, 2009: Enter US at LAX POE

1-751 JOINT PETITION

November 5, 2010: Mailed file for 1-751 Removal of Conditions

November 6, 2010: Petition package arrival at CSC [check cashed on 11/10/10]

November 12, 2010: NOA1 received

December 14, 2010: Biometrics appointment

February 11, 2011: Approval of Removal of Conditions

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

HI: I just ran into the same problem, my husband is from Venezuela but lives in Mexico. Our interview is going to be in Cd. Juarez, Mexico. The Cd. Juarez embasy states Police Certificates from Mexico and Venezuela are NOT available, but in the "travel/state/gov" web site for Venezuela, they ARE available, for Mexico they are NOT. Now I have asked my motherinlaw to request the Police Certificates from Caracas, Venezuela. I suggest to follow the guidelines from the "state" web site, not the local embassy. I hope my experiance helps and good luck!

Timeline
HI: I just ran into the same problem, my husband is from Venezuela but lives in Mexico. Our interview is going to be in Cd. Juarez, Mexico. The Cd. Juarez embasy states Police Certificates from Mexico and Venezuela are NOT available, but in the "travel/state/gov" web site for Venezuela, they ARE available, for Mexico they are NOT. Now I have asked my motherinlaw to request the Police Certificates from Caracas, Venezuela. I suggest to follow the guidelines from the "state" web site, not the local embassy. I hope my experiance helps and good luck!

Thanks for the reply! I just spoke with someone from NVC and she quoted the Brazil specific guidelines to me... so I am guessing that that is what they are going by. Which actually makes me more confused since they do have all of the required certificates. I know it happens that NVC sometimes requests documents that they received - but how on earth do they "lose" these documents? How frustrating.

USCIS

NVC

May 23, 2008: RFE for Police Certificate (even though all original docs were sent!)

1-751 JOINT PETITION

Filed: Timeline

Hi Saradaniele, I sent one from "Policia Federal" and the other from "Policia Civil" which must be issued by the "Secretaria de Seguranca Publica".

Find below Brasil's consulate guidelines.

http://www.embaixadaamericana.org.br/pdfs/...t_rev011408.pdf

Hope you can solve this problem right away.

Timeline
Hi Saradaniele, I sent one from "Policia Federal" and the other from "Policia Civil" which must be issued by the "Secretaria de Seguranca Publica".

Hi there,

Thanks for the note! I did send a civil police certificate and a federal one. It turns out that the NVC is asking for a police certificate from Sao Paulo, but it has been more than 7 years since my husband lived there. According to the Brazil instructions on police certificates, he only needs one from the city he has lived in for the last 5 years - which is what we provided. I am a bit frustrated about this, since we actually did send in everything they asked for and they are holding us about something that is not required. I'm not really sure what to do about it. We can get one from Sao Paulo but it will take several weeks. Argh.

USCIS

NVC

1-751 JOINT PETITION

Timeline

I looked at the link that you just sent. It is confusing because they give differing information. It says "Police Certificates" and it says you need one from everywhere you have lived since you were 16. Below this it says "Police Certificates in Brazil" and it states "Se, nos últimos cinco anos, você

morou em mais de um estado brasileiro, por mais de 6 (seis) meses, você deverá tirá-los separadamente, um em cada estado." - or, if in the last five years, you have lived in more than one brazilian state, you need a separate document for each state. Since my husband has lived in the same state for more than 5 years, he should not need more than one certificate. How frustrating.

USCIS

NVC

1-751 JOINT PETITION

Filed: Timeline

Hi Saradaniele, it's true, they shouldn't be asking for anything else, he'd covered his last 5 years with the ones he's provided previously. It really doesn't make sense, I know how frustrating this can be for you, but hang in there, it won't take more than a few weeks to be solved. Keep calling every day and expose your situation, they should consider that you've followed the guides by the book and there's nothing to be contested. I hope you can get a case complete notice really soon! :star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.