rclouse

Moroccan woman filing for US Citizenship

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I figure this should at least start out in MENA and then either move or be cross posted to US Citizenship General Discussion...

My wife is going to file for US citizenship next week. I was looking at the country specific info the USCIS has about this. It said Morocco doesn't recognize dual nationality, or some such like that. Is this something to worry about? Will she have to renounce her Moroccan citizenship? Or can she take US citizenship and just travel on her Moroccan passport when she goes back for a visit?

Has anyone here (or their spouse) from Morocco become a US citizen? Can you give us some advice?

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

That's not what I have heard at all. I was told that I could obtain dual citizenship when my husband and I got married, and this was from our lawyer in Morocco. Where did you read that?

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Maybe it's different for you being a US citizen to begin with and receive dual citizenship from another country by marriage.

I think applying for US citizenship it may be different and it may be a requirement to renounce all other citizenships.

I admit I am guessing.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Maybe it's different for you being a US citizen to begin with and receive dual citizenship from another country by marriage.

I think applying for US citizenship it may be different and it may be a requirement to renounce all other citizenships.

I admit I am guessing.

Sorry no help here... I know a moroccan that is lives and works in England and has dual citizenship.. doesn't help here in the states though

Timeline
That's not what I have heard at all. I was told that I could obtain dual citizenship when my husband and I got married, and this was from our lawyer in Morocco. Where did you read that?

I read it here, and now that I look closer it's talking about dual nationality of children born to Moroccan fathers. So I don't think that applies in our case.

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Timeline

Yes, this is what i thought...

The government of Morocco does not recognize "dual nationality". When the father is a citizen of Morocco, children automatically acquire Moroccan citizenship at birth, regardless of the country of birth, and must enter the country on Moroccan passports.

But you are right, it seems to focus mostly on children...

Although, "the government of Morocco does not recognize 'dual nationality'" seems strongly worded.

Probably worth it to call the Consulate General in New York just to be certain...

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I've heard about children being granted Moroccan citizenship by Morocco automatically, if the father is Moroccan. I'm not sure if the US automatically recognizes both for kids (haven't gotten that far yet!) or if Morocco automatically recognizes citizenship of children of Moroccan women abroad.

But the question of how Morocco and the US treat the citizenship of Moroccan female spouses of USCs...? I don't recall ever seeing that discussed here. So I'm not sure, but I'd be interested to know.

E

I read it here, and now that I look closer it's talking about dual nationality of children born to Moroccan fathers. So I don't think that applies in our case.

Edited by elizabeth&hisham

Me (Indiana) & Him (Fes, Morocco)

Summer 2002: Met in Morocco
Summer 2004: Began work on 129f; joined VJ rather than hiring a lawyer

I-129f Submission & Approval
Oct 19, 2004: I-129f to VSC
Oct 29: NOA2 online -- approved in 6 days, 10/23 to 10/29!

From NVC to Consulate & All the Way Home...
Nov 8, 2004: Case to Casablanca
Feb 23: Interview; CO said they'll call in 2-3 weeks
Mar 2: Casa calls; visa in hand the next day!
Mar 24: Arrival at JFK; over four hours waiting, but got an EAD
April 15, 2005: Married

AOS
Aug 10, 2005: AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago
Nov 12: AOS prints taken

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009:
EAD renewals often delayed. (?)
Info-Pass officials will say only that "other authorities" are handling our case; we eventually got our Senator's office involved
Spring 2009: A letter arrives, saying his 2005 fingerprints have expired and need to be updated. We head down to Indy and get his prints redone.
June 2009: We FINALLY get the AOS interview letter just shy of FOUR YEARS since submission of AOS application...

July 2009: after the interview, his 10-year Green Card arrives. Alle-freaking-luia.

N-400

Application in progress, 2015. We divorced in 2012 but are still good friends. E is helping organize H's application for Naturalization... fingers crossed!

How hard to pin down the truth, especially when one is obliged to see the world in slices; snapshots conceal as much as they make plain. (Rushdie, Shame)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.