Joey559

I-134 Dependent or not?

4 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone! First let me say congrats to everyone out there getting new updates - they seem to really be moving lately!

I'm just starting to work on our I-134 and I have a question about question 8 - 'That the following persons are dependent on me for support".

My mom is the sweetest woman in the world and is working as my co-sponsor as she has a lot more than me. I also live with her (rent free, thanks mom!) and my fiance and I are going to live here until we're married and settled and while we look for a house to buy (he hates renting). SO - even though I have my own job and earn an above poverty living, does she have to put me down as partially dependent since I live in her home? She says no since I file my own tax returns and she doesn't pay for anything for me - she just doesn't charge me rent (Bless her, she's the reason I can afford plane tickets to visit my honey). I'm just terrified of answering any question untruthfully, even by accident. We have the same address because I live here, but she doesn't support me - will they see it that way?

THANK YOU in advance! :dance:

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

11/14/2006 AOS packet made it to 'the box' after being overnighted.

12/02/2006 Paul had biometrics

12/14/2006 AOS Forwarded to CSC AND AP Application approved.

01/17/2007 First touch of 2007 at CSC

01/20/2007 Touched AGAIN (also the 18th) come on...

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

03/09/2007 Paul's greencard arrives. And breathe...

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

See PCRADDY for our official timeline.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

As far as I've read on VisaJourney, and what I had my co-sponsor do, was put down only the dependents that are claimed/shown on one's tax return.

Best of luck to you both. My fiancee and I are in a similar situation. However, I'm living/working in Vietnam, but my domicile in the United States is also my parents home (the last residence I moved here from) and plan to return to the same domiciline if/when my fiancee is approved to get settled, etc.

STL_HCMC

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Your mom would not count as a dependent as you do not claim for her on taxes, pay for her living costs etc etc. and you are not hers for the same reasons.

If you were a dependent she would get a tax rebate / break / allowance for you :)

Sharing an address in your case means only that; that you share an address :)

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Thank you both! I haven't been this stressed since filling out the 129, LOL. It's worth it all though - 1,000x over.

Good luck and thanks again. Safe journey home STL!

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

11/14/2006 AOS packet made it to 'the box' after being overnighted.

12/02/2006 Paul had biometrics

12/14/2006 AOS Forwarded to CSC AND AP Application approved.

01/17/2007 First touch of 2007 at CSC

01/20/2007 Touched AGAIN (also the 18th) come on...

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

03/09/2007 Paul's greencard arrives. And breathe...

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

See PCRADDY for our official timeline.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.