juana17

now we know and here we go!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

After months and months of trying to find out what was the best way for us to get married, we are there.... I will have to post again after we are both breathing and less tired. We have been so close and so secure that our letters took on an other earthly feel, and reality is far uglier at times. Since we both felt a destiny moment 2 years ago and finally acted on it and found total satisfaction and soul -mate in each other, this has been strong enough to make our plans on. Or as Aldeki says, "you can bet for it always my tati,,,,"

(i love the thread , what does your SO say that makes you smile/laugh)

Any thing he says well almost anything, makes me so happy, we are both equally lucky... any way . I could write all about the procedure for getting married there, and yes it would make anyone look at any other option. It is designed to be crazy making. And expensive beyond compare. Its not the wedding you are paying for , it is just protocol and nothing makes good sense. But es cuba, and the people all pay through the nose for everything, how unfair!!! I will say I drove 18 hours to Washington from my island to wait hours and hours first at the US Authentications office, 9 $ per doc, Barato!! and my secretary of state , also 10 per... after the town notary , free, so in the END, :bonk:

the CIS was 140.$ per doc X 2 for the translation!! so 3 docs was 840. 00 and then there was the translator who , no, was not in house as I had been told it might me, but a woman arranging her cousin to do a computer translation, and then run 10 blocs to another notary so at 25. per page..... hmmmmm oh well , at that point after 2 days of no sleep and praying that it ...would go uhmmmmm smoothly.(jejeje!)24 hours before! So, the good part is, :P :P :star: :star: :star: :star:

I get to marry my partner, and he is as happy as I am....We are ready to explode, and I can listen to him say he will be there for me for the rest of my life, it just feels good. So, my journey, bringing Aldeki here when we decide where that here will be, that will begin maybe after we do this. We are lucky we went for his passporte in febrero, and it was only 55,cuc, maybe who knows, he will be one of the men that has a good experience with a wife in Cuba that he can travel and not have to jump through rings of fire. Hope springs eternal. our life is pretty sweet right now... :luv:(L):yes:

.....ok so I never had a smiley face op, I'm gonna run with it .....

a very happy woman in love

One love...

Timeline
Juana!

Great news, and congratulations on your matrimonio. We'll be here to help out when you file!!!!

Paz, L.

Thank you so much, I just returned to the island (Another 18 hours driving!) so exhausted , and happy to be packing to leave on Sunday, my sweet partner awaiting me. I had a very sad and scarey experience after all my wonderful news but, faith and trust are good strengths to reach for... for me who is shy to share news with others is harder than easy, but to have such good support and answers for questions is lovely. sometimes it is perfect.

paz tambien,

j

One love...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

hey juana, i just wanted to share something i heard about getting married in cuba ( which i dont know wheather it is true or not) ive been told that once you get married in cuba you have to wait two years to bring him to the US, im not sure if this is true, or if what they ask for is two years as "novios" , if you know anything about this please let me know, cause in case that we get denied at the interview im planning to marry him in cuba instead.

Thanks!

1987....................We met (I was 1 and he was 3 y.o)

2000....................I left my country

08/04/2006.........1st trip to cuba (15 days)

08/10/2006..........We started dating

12/15/2006..........2nd trip to Cuba (21 days)

05/01/2007..........3rd trip to Cuba (30 days)

12/20/2007..........Got citizenship

01/03/2008..........Sent 129F

01/12/2008..........NOA1

01/14/2008..........NOA2

02/08/2008..........Picked up package 3

04/16/2008..........4th trip to Cuba (6 days)

06/06/2008..........5th trip to Cuba (10 days)

06/09/2008..........Interview in Havana

06/10/2008..........Received his visa

06/20/2008..........Got the "Carta Blanca"

07/10/2008..........U.S entry

08/15/2008..........We got married

03/14/2009..........He received his green card

.png

Timeline

hey juana, i just wanted to share something i heard about getting married in cuba ( which i dont know wheather it is true or not) ive been told that once you get married in cuba you have to wait two years to bring him to the US, im not sure if this is true, or if what they ask for is two years as "novios" , if you know anything about this please let me know, cause in case that we get denied at the interview im planning to marry him in cuba instead.

No I have heard from many persons now that it is as easy to get a visa for your husband once married in fact sometimes easier as they view it as more committed.

We ( aldeki and I) are actually not applying right away for a visa for him because we don't want to be given the time constraint of having to arrive here in the winter when we both have work and are working on our apartment. But any way, first , you will probably get your visa, I will just pray your interview is wonderful and it all goes through. Second, I could definitely teach a course in how to pay crazy fees to the cuban consulate and know that it is all very hmmmm sketchy but afterwards ud. tiene todos documentos necesarios... muy importante!!!! muchismo problemos sin esos, entonces, en fin tu haces el processo facil o dificil , es igual!!!! ( you need the necessary documents, very important. very many problems without these,in the end you make the process easy or difficult , it is the same!) The important part is that you are prepared to do what ever it takes.. Aldeki and I have wanted to marry and we know his family and mine cannot travel easily. My family here and there is much too complicado! His is en Santiago, and so getting his birth certificate for anything we do means first going there!!! so I worked my self to the bone and decided to go now, because time apart was torture for us and we have a project that needs us both. I will say a few years ago I heard differente about the steps, my morrocan friends did the fiancee visa and it was to their advantage. In cuba,though, a person emmigrating can lose many rights. A married person there has advantages. Our oldest couple friends Susan and Rafael have been 15 years of back and forth, raf is well used a preguntando permiso de el gobierno de Cuba para revisar /condicionar el pasaporte cada ano (por 150.USD$) y es siempre un gran (( mierde))!! But anyway , they go back and forth every year and Rafael works in the US in the summers with Susan and still has a home to return to, so it can happen.... Hope this long blah blahblando helps, I am waiting to go tomorrow and am so full of butterflies that my flights are all good , seeing my husband is all I care about in this world ahora...he is almost crazy waiting too. nice to be so wanted , I am drinking it in!!!!!

best wishes to you and him, I will be asking you questions next time I think! tell me how it goes oK? tu amiga, Juana

**next you can skip this it is only about the process at the CIS consulado , and feesIt was beyond crazy to go to washington, drive 30 hours + there and back and have to go for translations,( all very poorly done but hey.. ) and pay for the cover from the cis 140 per document when the complete rules of the fee structure were being ignored. I would make sure if you need the afadavit of solteria it is inside another document, that way you are paying only once. what I mean is, if you have been divorced or not, you only need one page, the judgement. every page you bring will cost 25.00 the CIS doc fees were 840 for me which I know was an overpayment but once you make the money orders out, they ain't comin' back! the translations/ notarized were 100. the US authentications were 9.00 per doc, wow, and your own sectretary of state is about 10 per. NOW if you mail these to the various places , it is much more per doc , to be an unaccompanied document. BUT the US will mail the docs directly to the consulate CIS for you with the postage... The very scariest part is if you ever mail away your originals ,and especially never mail your passport there, they often have "lost " things for MUCH time, and people end up crazy with worry for good reasons and go there. sometimes it is all about the $ which is hard to face when what you are trying to do is arrange your life with your loved one, sometimes these issues are very very hard to deal with, but patience often wins......

Buena Suerte para todos!!!

One love...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

thanks for clearing that up!!! well i hope everything goes well for you two, and GOOD LUCK, enjoy your papi!!!

1987....................We met (I was 1 and he was 3 y.o)

2000....................I left my country

08/04/2006.........1st trip to cuba (15 days)

08/10/2006..........We started dating

12/15/2006..........2nd trip to Cuba (21 days)

05/01/2007..........3rd trip to Cuba (30 days)

12/20/2007..........Got citizenship

01/03/2008..........Sent 129F

01/12/2008..........NOA1

01/14/2008..........NOA2

02/08/2008..........Picked up package 3

04/16/2008..........4th trip to Cuba (6 days)

06/06/2008..........5th trip to Cuba (10 days)

06/09/2008..........Interview in Havana

06/10/2008..........Received his visa

06/20/2008..........Got the "Carta Blanca"

07/10/2008..........U.S entry

08/15/2008..........We got married

03/14/2009..........He received his green card

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.