amnonbabs

Very complicated situation

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well, for one they'd have to show filing tax returns jointly, and he'd have to remember to file those US tax returns despite living and working in Canada.

Can wait a couple of more years for citizenship and avoid all this marriage stuff, but have to file that form I-something or another to keep your green card if planning on leaving the US for over a year.

Listen with anger yesterday on PBS radio from this guy that is some kind of an editor of an environmental newspaper, tried to call in, but all the lines were full. Moaning and groaning about US citizens marrying immigrants, those immigrants getting citizenship, then bringing in hundreds of their relatives that is straining this countries resources. And he wants laws passed to limit immigration by marriage. Those that did call in said what about these illegals here, that is not what this program is about, this is about legal immigration. Then he rambles on for hours about how carbon dioxide is causing global warming when we just had one of the coldest winters in recorded history. Didn't mention that CO2 is only specific to a very narrow band of UV radiation, that CO2 is measured in ppm, and proven impossible to cause global warming that we really don't have, but this extra CO2 is increasing plant life that is permitting most of the people of this world to have food due to additional plant life. Then he also doesn't know ####### about SS and told even more lies.

I wonder about your husband's job, is this job unique to Canada? Or is it a former job that was moved to Canada due to their relaxed EPA regulations and less expensive health care, least to corporations. The idiot editor also stated many want to come here for a better life and job opportunities, but a crime when one has to go to another country to find that job. Sure you want to even get US citizenship? Sounds like life may be better in Canada, been thinking about that myself.

OK, here's my huge problem:

Right now I have a 10 year green card.

I will meet the requirements to apply for citizenship on July (2008).

Hubby was offered a job in Canada and he is really excited about it, he REALLY wants to take this job. And they want him there ASAP.

We have no kids.

We don't own a house (that's why we need this job in Canada, to actually be able to buy a house)

Dad in law said we can use his house as a permanent residency while we are in Canada.

If everything goes well with hubby's new job we will be out of the US for 2 or 3 years..

How big is my problem and how can it be fixed? is it smart to wait until August , apply for citizenship, move to Canada and then come back for the interview or whatever? will they hold it against me that I am living in another country ?, should I get an immigration lawyer and will it make any difference whatsoever if I do?. please, whatever info you guys can give me I will really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

I don't see a problem. You can move to Canada even now, just don't stay abroad more than 6 months per visit.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I misread the original post. I thought the Green Card holder was moving to work in another country. If it's the USC husband then it still can get trickey. You really need to becareful with situations like this and many people have been denied (do you want to throw it all away?).

Best bet as mentioned, have him move there first or move to a border town etc. and maintain your residency status. Even if it's your husband working, the IO quite possibly also assume you were working there too and abandoned your residency...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Well, for one they'd have to show filing tax returns jointly, and he'd have to remember to file those US tax returns despite living and working in Canada.

He will be filing tax returns even if he lives in Canada - that is 'normal' - he may be able to exclude all income (for US purposes) but he will have a joint tax return.

Many US citizens (and I will do it too in a few years) live in Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama etc. - they are still subject to US taxes and file them - so they always have these, especially if your income e.g. retirement income is from US sources, it is taxed by the IRS and you need to file US taxes to make sure you are not over-paying. And supposing you have no income from US sources (you moved all your assets to a foreign country and do not receive US income. or your retirement is so low that its not taxed) - you can still file a US tax return showing 0 income and 0 taxes. Its not a requirement that you must have income to file tax returns. You can do it to show joint status regardless of income level. Joint tax returns are not a show stopper, my friend's wife will have joint returns with her husband - he is retired military and is taxed on his retirement - it's substantially higher and he continues to file and will have to for a long time. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.