canadalaura

I'm not supposed to do this...

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have this posted in the work & travel b4 greencard section, but it might take longer than I have to get a response so here goes...

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this - my AP is in my married name, as well as all my other ID, US driver's license, military ID, etc, etc...

My passport is in my maiden name... I know, I should get it changed, but I have been insanely busy at work, etc.

Will I have issues re-entering the US. I am bringing my marriage cert, too.... I won't go though if there's any chance of being denied re-entry.

(Don't know if it matters, but my flights will all be domestic and I will be driving across the US/Canadian border)

AOS

August 30, 2005 - AOS, , AP applications mailed to Chicago Lockbox

September 9, 2005 - NOA's for AOS, AP, (dated Sept. 1)

November 28, 2005 - AOS biometrics - refused EAD biometrics at the same time

December 5, 2005 - AP approved

December 7, 2005 - Infopass appointment for interim EAD

December 12, 2005 - Received EAD card

December 13, 2005 - Received AP

June 14, 2005 - Case Status Inquiry/Tracer

June 19, 2005 - Letter sent to congressman

AOS INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR AUGUST 8, 2006

AOS approved - August 8th, 2006 - hooray - done with USCIS for now!

GREENCARD RECEIVED - August 18, 2006

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've travelled twice to the US -- once with my AP, once with my greencard. Both my AP and GC are in my married name, and my passport is still in my maiden name. I had no troubles either time going through the POE at JFK. I took my certified copy of my marriage certificate if asked. Since your flights are domestic, you don't have to book your tickets in your maiden name (like you would if you were flying the entire way to Canada). Just make sure you take your marriage lisence or certificate.

happy trip! :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

That's all I neede to hear :D THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

I'm super excited to see my mom! And go to tim's.

AOS

Filed: Timeline
Just make sure you take your marriage lisence or certificate.

Ok, I have a slight nitpick to make. A marriage license is not evidence of a marriage. A marrriage certificate is. And only evidence of an actual marriage is evidence of a name change due to marriage. Evidence of intent to marry (which is what a marriage license is) is not evidence of a name change due to marriage.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

Picky, picky, picky... haha... my license and certificate are one and the same :)

Point taken, though.

AOS

Filed: Timeline
Picky, picky, picky... haha... my license and certificate are one and the same :)

But that means it's no longer just a license but a certificate.

Just wanted to point that out in case there was a n00b reading who didn't know any better. I recognize that you and Cassie do.

On the subject, I have a story of a friends wife who tried to leave an airport in India with her US LPR card in married name and Indian passport in maiden name, on a flight back to JFK. The Indian airport people didn't even let her board the flight because they didn't believe she was entitled to go to the US. She had no LPR stamp in her passport.

This is a rarity, I'm sure. And this happened in Calcutta, a low-traffic Indian airport with some of the most ignorant workers you'll meet anywhere.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

I answered your other thread.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmmm...I was planning to drive back to Canada possibly as early as this coming week. I was planning to take all necessary documents...AP..marriage certificate....passport, etc. Then I got to thinkin....the last time I crossed the border via car was 15+ years ago and at that time, you just verbally answered a few questions regarding length of stay, where are you from, how much did you spend, how much tobacco and alcohol etc. What exactly happens at the POE these days when driving across the border? Do they ask for identification? I know that sounds like a silly question, but, if I am so used to flying these days and going through POE at the airport where producing documents is very much of a routine. I can't ever remember having to produce identification when crossing the CAN/US border although I am sure things have changed in light of 9/11. Thanks for any info

Danette

BTW...Canadalaura...hope you enjoy the trip back to Canada! I know I am looking forward to spending a couple of weeks back home and have my grocery list set out already....Tim's is #1 on that list of course!

Oct 2005 visa received

Dec 24, 2005 Married in Vegas

Jan 29, 2006 sent AOS

April 19, 2006 AP approved...finally

Aug 30, 2006 AOS interview....approved

Sept 06...Received Green card

Timeline

Well... when I was crossing a lot last year before I moved, most times I was asked for my passport or birthcertificate and driver's license, but a few times thye didn't ask for any ID at all - this was on the US side.

Canadian side, I was barely ever asked for ID!

AOS