songsparrow

DS-156 questions

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My fiance and I looked over teh example forms for the DS-156 and had many questions.

#6, 7, 8, 9... The name: Her name on her passport has 4 names, her mothers maiden name. How is she suppose to write her name the way it is on her passport if we just use the 3 name system?

#16... Phone numbers: Does she REALLY have to put her work phone and fax number here??

#28... Who will pay for trip: Is it better if she says she will pay? Does it hurt to say I will pay?

#32, 33... Work or study: Again, is it better to say you will work and not study? She will work, but not soon.

#34.... Persons traveling with her: I'm going to go there and come to the US together. Does my name go here?

#40... Application prepared by: Does she fill this out or leave blank?

Well I guess this is about all for this form. We just had these few doubts and could use some advice. Thanks for any help :)

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2006-02-07

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-02-14

I-129F RFE(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-04-24

NVC Received : 2006-05-09

Packet 3 Received : 2006-06-09

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-06-26

Called Cons. and was told Interview date: Sept. 26!

Packet 4 Received week later: 2006-08-16

Filed: Timeline
My fiance and I looked over teh example forms for the DS-156 and had many questions.

#6, 7, 8, 9... The name: Her name on her passport has 4 names, her mothers maiden name. How is she suppose to write her name the way it is on her passport if we just use the 3 name system?

#16... Phone numbers: Does she REALLY have to put her work phone and fax number here??

#28... Who will pay for trip: Is it better if she says she will pay? Does it hurt to say I will pay?

#32, 33... Work or study: Again, is it better to say you will work and not study? She will work, but not soon.

#34.... Persons traveling with her: I'm going to go there and come to the US together. Does my name go here?

Well I guess this is about all for this form. We just had these few doubts and could use some advice. Thanks for any help :)

I have four names too, in a way: First name, the 2nd and 3rd characters in my Chinese name, and last name. I've always used my Chinese name as a "middle name", if that helps.

If she works, then you should put her phone and fax numbers on it. I doubt they actually phone to verify that she works there, but who knows... But yeah, it's best the numbers are on there, or they might become suspicious.

Don't think it matters who pays. I'm paying for mine.

I wrote both work and study on mine. Again, I doubt it really matters, but they might want us to work since all countries want us to be productive citizens, right? :P

#34 - yes, I think so.

#40 - (Sorry, can't remember off the top of my head!)

Filed: Timeline

#6, 7, 8, 9 - She can always have 2 middle names. It is important that you keep consistency once you enter the US and apply for the AOS, etc. If she takes on your name (upon marriage) she will need to decide how does she want her name to appear and them fill out all the forms in that fashion. It is very important that she list the name as it on passport.

# 16 - If she is claiming that she is currently working then she should list the number(s) of her employer

# 28 - It does not matter who pays. If she says she will pay they will ask her for the proof of funds to pay for the trip.

# 32 and 33 - she may express the desire to work and study, it is important to state that she will do so after filing the appropriate paperwork and obtaining authorization (EAD)

# 34 - She may list you as a travel companion

# 40 - Is someone else prepares this form for her (you, an agent, etc.) then this question should be answered. If she prepares the form herself, then she should leave it blank

Hope this helps. The best of luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by faith42

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

songsparrow,

I see you are going through Vietnam like we are. I emailed the US Consulate in HCMC some time ago regarding the order of names, like you have questioned in this post. I've included an example below of how they said they normally interpret Vietnamese names.

Example Name: Nguyen Thi Minh Phuong

Example Interpreted Order: Nguyen = Family Name, Thi = Middle Name and Minh Phuong = First Name

I hope this helps you out with some Vietnam specific information for name order.

Regarding form DS-156, this is provided in packet 4 from the consulate in HCMC, so you've still got some time to get this form completed. We just returned the doc's from packet 3 (i.e. notification of applicant readiness and DS-230 Part I).

Do you ever look through the Asia-Pacific regional forum? There are lots of specific posts related to Vietnam VJ members are their experiences through this consulate.

Best of luck to you both!

STL_HCMC

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.